Mpg

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter

I no doubt expect that this has been covered already, so sorry if I am repeating an old topic.
I have already posted that I hope to take delivery towards the end of September of a GX4 and that most of my journeys are around 30 miles return from home so will be able to charge overnight but I will do the occasional long journey.
This I have Just now done with my wife and have travelled 220 miles Down to La Baule for some late summer sunshine, the trip was 80% dual carriageway (not quite motorway more up and down) and 20% A roads. My present car a Lexus RS 300 has returned 27MPG driving at a steady 70mph on the dual carriageway.
If I had made the journey in the GX there would have been no chance of recharging on the way down or at the hotel we are staying at, it would therefore have been a whole journey there and back on the ICE.
What kind of MPG could I expect? Any thing around the 40 or over I would be more than pleased or is this being over optimistic?
Should we also be considering posting MPP miles per pence as the MPG does not take into consideration the electricity cost in charging the batteries.
I would be interested in your comments.
Thanks
Peter

First post on here for me, so hello to all!

I've had my GX4h since 16th August and have been keeping a close eye on my fuel useage from day 1:

Mileage Total Cost Mileage MPG since
Date of Fill Up at Fill Up Cost per Litre Litres Gallons since Fill Up Fill Up
16/08/2014 10 £42.46 £1.279 33.2 7.3 - -
20/08/2014 340 £40.00 £1.269 31.5 6.9 330 47.6
23/08/2014 627 £42.00 £1.289 32.6 7.2 287 40.0
29/08/2014 971 £42.50 £1.289 33.0 7.3 344 47.4
01/09/2014 1326 £47.19 £1.289 36.6 8.1 355 44.1
03/09/2014 1641 £48.00 £1.319 36.4 8.0 315 39.4
06/09/2014 1966 £45.44 £1.319 34.5 7.6 325 42.9
09/09/2014 2307 £48.62 £1.259 38.6 8.5 341 40.1
11/09/2014 2584 £39.47 £1.259 31.4 6.9 277 40.2

Totals / Averages - £395.68 £1.274 307.7 67.7 2574 42.7

I have to admit to only ending up with the car for the BiK tax savings that it will give me. I had ordered a new VW Touareg before changing my mind when my accountant pointed out how much I'd have to pay the taxman for the pleasure of running one as a company vehicle!

I work as a freelance school improvement consultant and the school I'm currently working with is 65 miles from home and has no facility for me to charge the car during the day. You can see the resultant increase in fuel consumption from 1st September when school re-opened after the summer holidays!

I charge the car at home every night, but the rest of the daily mileage is petrol driven. Overall average mpg is pretty much the same as I was getting previously from my Vauxhall Insignia diesel but now I'll pay much less to HMRC in BiK ;-)

HTH

Jon

p.s. sorry, the data was copied from an Excel spreadsheet and loses it's formatting on here :-(

Hi

I have made a few long motorway journeys, I find that anywhwere near 60 mph, the batteries drain very quickly.

It seems best to run on save mode on the motorway, and the batteries for the slower A/B roads where possible.

40 - 50 mpg should be achievable a long trip, especially if you use regen braking where appropriate.

You will be supprised how the "free" motoring accrues I've had as much as 146mpg between fills and and overall average of 60 mpg on 1500miles.

How are others finding it??

Regards
Chris

Thanks for comments/ input, looks encouraging as I said I would be happy with any thing around 40mpg with the savings I should get from everyday motoring.
The BIK savings are not an issue for me having retired some 8 years ago, but I was taken with the concept of the car and now seeing in the press today that Boris is suggesting that diesel car owners should be given a financial incentive to scrap them!!
We must be on the right route with the PHEV.
Peter

My 38mpg guestimate was based on a holiday where we did around 950 miles (around half of which on continental motorways) with only one charge at the beginning. You might get 40 but probably not much more if you are doing a fair bit at 70mph. I don't ever use battery on the motorway (I live 10 miles from one) - I use save so I have battery for the bit at each end of the journey.

If you can go a bit slower it will only help...
Cheers
H

Thanks H
38 would be ok, as at best I only get about 27 now, I agree we should not be as heavy with the right foot but you know what it's like when you travel at around 60 you feel as if you are standing still as everyone whizzes by you!!
Cheers
Peter

Sure - and if you do 60 on the autobahn you will get flattened! :lol:

If you use fuelly to record your mpg, you can add a note re electric costs each month using the data from the car MMCS, but then you'd have to work out your own cost per mile as fuelly isn't geared up for electric cars unfortunately (though presumably it wouldn't be that difficult for them to add an electric costs column).

Cheers
H

My experience from the Prius is that you only get the best mpg on cruise control. I use it almost all the time - on London roads much of the time - and I get 55 mpg out of the Prius quite frequently. My hates cruise control and often does not get better than 45mpg out of the same car.

Peter, my usage is not dissimilar to yours, since picking up the car in June I've made a couple of longer trips but mostly I'm doing under 30 miles between charges (I am able to charge during the daytime as well, which makes a big difference).

I agree with Hypermiler about the average on pure petrol, however I managed to achieve something over 50mpg (can't remember the exact figure) on a recent 200 mile round trip, by starting from home with a full charge and making one 30 minute stop at a motorway services where I picked up a free 80% charge from the Ecotricity network.

I don't think the 30 mile EV range is sufficient to make it worth stopping unless you need to, but 30 minutes is not too bad if you need a snack or a break anyway.

In the grand scheme of things I won't have saved a great deal but it made me feel better arriving home with 50+ on the fuel consumption readout :D

I've commented before that cost per mile is a better unit of measurement than mpg or mpge. It would be nice to think that it could be miles per pence but sadly pence per mile is more realistic!

Hypermiler said:
Maybe around 38 mpg for that sort of run, others will give their view shortly!....
H
Hi,
I would say that 38mpg is exactly what I would have suggested. Approaching, or slightly exceeding 40mpg if happy cruising at 65-70 and with an easy driving style.
Kind regards,
Mark

Hi maddogsetc
Yeah my mistake so used to thinking in terms of mpg, never really thought before of the cost of each mile only what the car returned in mpg. It's only now with a different fuel cost that I have started looking at it.
Any way with all the savings I should be able to enjoy a few more pints or glasses of wine!!
Regards
Peter

Any way with all the savings I should be able to enjoy a few more pints or glasses of wine!!
Far be it from me to pontificate but when drinking wine I find it best to avoid pints :lol:

Back