No Dashboard Clock when power is off

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarBoy

Every car I've driven has had a dashboard clock. A clock either part of the radio, a standalone analogue clock, or a standalone digital clock.

My wife has pointed out to me that the Outlander only has a clock when the car has been started, otherwise, no clock. So she doesn't know what the time is when waiting in the car for the kids to come out of school.

Are there any magical buttons that can be pressed to make the Outlander dashboard show the time whilst the car's power is off?

For goodness sake this is a +£40k car...

Yeah, I think your solution is to press the Power button without the brake pedal being pressed. That turns on the displays etc without "starting" the car.

Jimmac said:
do you get the clock if you push the start button without touching the brake - puts it into aux mode ?

Yes the time comes up on the MMCS if you turn the car on in either of the two AUX modes.

She wants to sit there in silence without the bings and bongs and other noises the car makes when in AUX mode to read her book, without missing the time to exit the car to collect the sprogs.

Not sure about others cars, mine makes all sorts of odd noises through the speakers when in AUX mode.

endsofinvention said:
Yeah, I think your solution is to press the Power button without the brake pedal being pressed. That turns on the displays etc without "starting" the car.

She'll then step out of the car forgetting to turn AUX off and get beeped at :lol:

I've had a poke around in the vehicle and although the dashboard is live with the power switched off, there's no clock, only has the tripometers / leaves display.

Steel188 said:
Now I know I'm going to get hammered for this, and please accept this tongue in cheek as intended :D

Wear a watch!!!

I'll let you give her that suggestion!

She wears a fitness tracker instead.

:D

I might have invest in a small LCD clock.

SolarBoy said:
Steel188 said:
Now I know I'm going to get hammered for this, and please accept this tongue in cheek as intended :D

Wear a watch!!!

And the fitness tracker does NOT have a clock? How much was it? :mrgreen:

anko said:
SolarBoy said:
Steel188 said:

Wear a watch!!!

And the fitness tracker does NOT have a clock? How much was it? :mrgreen:

Fitbit and a Garmin ... it was a present ...

And remember, when the car is "powered up" but not moving it is consuming negligible amounts of power (and no pollution) unlike a normal car where your either flattening the battery (if not started) or pumping out exhaust fumes on tick over :mrgreen: Cars parked up with the engines running is a big problem in Central London :twisted:

I can survive without the clock, although it would be better to have it on, but what really frustrates me is that you cannot have the radio turned on when car is off. In my 2009 Skoda you could always turn radio on and it would auto shut-off after 30 minutes to save battery. Worked perfectly.

I got my car in April this year and the more I use it the more "annoying" clever implementations I notice. Either the Mitsu engineers have never talked to customers and solicited feedback on usability. Or alternatively they have done exactly that and only listened to select Japanese users who then clearly have their brains wired differently than mine.

Steepndeep said:
I can survive without the clock, although it would be better to have it on, but what really frustrates me is that you cannot have the radio turned on when car is off. In my 2009 Skoda you could always turn radio on and it would auto shut-off after 30 minutes to save battery. Worked perfectly.

I got my car in April this year and the more I use it the more "annoying" clever implementations I notice. Either the Mitsu engineers have never talked to customers and solicited feedback on usability. Or alternatively they have done exactly that and only listened to select Japanese users who then clearly have their brains wired differently than mine.

Press the power button and listen to the radio! I dont understand what doesnt work?

I don´t want to use the keys to listen to the radio. E.g. leave the car with people in the car while I go in and buy a cup of coffe and they want to listen to the radio or Ipod or whatever. And I do not want the "radio" to be part of the cars boot sequence. For instance

Parking at the store listening to music. Turn off engine and audio stops. Then, with keys inside the car (so no one can turn on the radio after I have exited the car :twisted: ) press power but not foot on break. Wait 1 minute for stupid boot sequence then audio comes on. And I leave the car in some semi on state which I do not want while buying whatever I want to buy. Stupid :evil:

Most cars these days turn off the radio when the ignition is off to prevent the radio from being left on and draining the battery.
I am currently driving a rental Mazda CX5 in Canada and with this one the engine has to be running for any of the other functions there does not appear to be an aux position as there is only a starter button. At least the PHEV allows you to go to aux, you can always turn the radio off if needs be.

Its also annoying that on a hot day, you can't sit waiting for someone with the door ajar and the radio (aux) on.. all you get is the incessant never ending bong...bong..bong warning noise. Its made its 'point' after the first few 'bongs' why didn't they design it to do say, 8 bongs then shut the hell up!!

BobEngineer said:
Its also annoying that on a hot day, you can't sit waiting for someone with the door ajar and the radio (aux) on.. all you get is the incessant never ending bong...bong..bong warning noise. Its made its 'point' after the first few 'bongs' why didn't they design it to do say, 8 bongs then shut the hell up!!

Open a window :idea:

Yep the bong bing bong is really annoying, do it for 30 seconds then give up!

Dropping the window causes smudges, those are really annoying. If the car was mine then I'd have taken my screwdriver to it.

I'm pretty sure that in my last two cars the digital clock only worked when the ignition was on, so if you simply unlocked the door and sat in the car you wouldnt see anything as none of the displays were active, so I dont see how the PHEV is any different here ? As others have said, one press of the start button is all that is required, its not really a big deal as far as I can see ?

And presumably when she does drive off without having activated the ignition, all the bongs happen anyway, so all that is happening is that she is bringing forward the 'bong sequence' to happen when she is sitting waiting, rather than when she drives off ?

When the power button is in the red light 'aux' mode I don't think there are any bings and bongs - are there? Perhaps I've already got bing-bong fatigue and don't notice any more. I've reduced the noise of the tailgate beeper by sticking tape over the speaker.

What really annoys me is that you can't open/close the windows in the red light position. Probably something to do with child safety - I don't care about child safety much - I haven't got any children. I wish I could disable this restriction. When I was a child we didn't have child safety. Perhaps we weren't as stupid as children are today? I was allowed to play with knives and fire when I was a child. Once I'd cut and burnt myself a few times I got the idea. If I shut my head in an electric window I'd get the idea.

I don't have a watch, I look at my phone - like people used to do with pocket watches I suppose.

Back