North East England

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steve2001 said:
I average 32 MPG in my Diesel C-Crosser AKA Outlander - not good. That is because my daily commute is 10 miles there and back, also some school runs, so all local mileage. The car barely warms up before I reach my destination most days.

The PHEV suits my driving profile perfectly - or so I thought! But from what you say Maby the GX3h should hopefully beat my current poor MPG especially over the longer term.

With that pattern of use, you should get some pretty good figures in the summer. Only you can decide if you are prepared to run without heating in the winter to get good figures then too. I don't think you will do any worse than you are in your current car, but you probably will not achieve dramatically better if you want to travel in comfort.

I took it back to the dealer, they said there was nothing wrong with the car, that is the only way the GX3H works but they had to check with Mitsubishi technical first, they didn't know of this problem.

If you check it over a year you can't refuse the vehicle!!

If it can't even handle the running on electric then the rest is a disaster. Taking it on a journey you have to accept the fuel consumption until you find a charge point but the benefit of a hybrid is it's low running cost on electric dilutes the fuel consumption overall. If it fails the electric bit there is absolutely no hope and it fails that miserably unless you turn the heating to below outside ambient and switch off the demister. It becomes difficult to see out the windows in the first ¼ mile this time of the year.

ABatty said:
I took it back to the dealer, they said there was nothing wrong with the car, that is the only way the GX3H works but they had to check with Mitsubishi technical first, they didn't know of this problem.

If you check it over a year you can't refuse the vehicle!!

If it can't even handle the running on electric then the rest is a disaster. Taking it on a journey you have to accept the fuel consumption until you find a charge point but the benefit of a hybrid is it's low running cost on electric dilutes the fuel consumption overall. If it fails the electric bit there is absolutely no hope and it fails that miserably unless you turn the heating to below outside ambient and switch off the demister. It becomes difficult to see out the windows in the first ¼ mile this time of the year.

Your problem was unrealistic expectations - probably prompted by unrealistic reviews. Even a GX3 should be able to average over 40mpg in the winter across a representative mixed range of driving conditions and will make over 50mpg in the summer. Those are the sort of figures I'm seeing and others round here and correspond closely with what came out of my mathematical model before we bought the car.

If you went into it believing the 140mpg that some reviews quote or, worse still, the 300 and 400mpg that some of the members of this forum claim, then you are going to be seriously disappointed.

Hello,

Just taken delivery of my GX3h in Atlantic Grey, its a company car and will save me a good few quid long term and the MD is looking to get some charge points installed at the office so even better.

Based around the Stockton on Tees area.

Got mine today it was driven over from a dealer in Scarborough.

74 miles on trip computer the driver said he had it on charge so it arrived with a full battery and fuel tank almost full. 37mpg but far too early to draw any conclusions.

First trip out - would you believe it I went to the dentist. Ironic. And I need a filling - ouch!

First 3 miles ICE running then it kicked in and out once engine warmed up.Was forewarned from other forum posts so kind of expected that.

Right I'm going to have a read through the manual now...

Hypermiler said:
steve2001 said:
Right I'm going to have a read through the manual now...

May the force be with you...

Congrats!
H

By all means read the manual, but don't get too hung up on it - the car is complex, but you can just get in and drive as if it were any modern automatic - understand it over a period of time and you will get the best out of it.

I got the SatNav upgrade on the GX3h but with that it does not seem to have the screen shots of the charging flow on the 7" display.

[/quote]

By all means read the manual, but don't get too hung up on it - the car is complex, but you can just get in and drive as if it were any modern automatic - understand it over a period of time and you will get the best out of it.[/quote]

OMG I had a sleepless night after wading through around 300 pages of warnings in Pigeon English!

Luckily I had an auto Merc a few years back, so it wasnt too much of a shock to drive.

And very happy I am with it too so far (the car not the manual :D ).

I can't be bothered to wade through the charge point maps which never seem to work on my slow BB connection on my Mac - does anyone happen to know of any free to use charge points anywhere on the A19 north of Thirsk and en route to Seaham in County Durham - I am off up there in a couple of weeks to pick up a trailer (with my new tow bar - very exciting, but way out of electric range of course..). I might stop to have a look at the sea and a wander round town so could give it an hour or two.
I have the required cable but am not a member of any charging things yet (except ecotricity of course! but their nearest would be on the A1M and I'm not going that way.)

Ok - have had a look online and there may be something at Dalton Park shopping centre and in a car park on the sea front but struggling to find them on maps street view or on shopping centre website - anyone know about these?
thanks in advance
H

Have now found the two charge points on Charge Your Car website - might have to join this scheme... but not got a smart phone and not sure how much the chargers rely on using one - will have to give them a call...
cheers

Hypermiler said:
I can't be bothered to wade through the charge point maps which never seem to work on my slow BB connection on my Mac - does anyone happen to know of any free to use charge points anywhere on the A19 north of Thirsk and en route to Seaham in County Durham - I am off up there in a couple of weeks to pick up a trailer (with my new tow bar - very exciting, but way out of electric range of course..). I might stop to have a look at the sea and a wander round town so could give it an hour or two.
I have the required cable but am not a member of any charging things yet (except ecotricity of course! but their nearest would be on the A1M and I'm not going that way.)
Ok - have had a look online and there may be something at Dalton Park shopping centre and in a car park on the sea front but struggling to find them on maps street view or on shopping centre website - anyone know about these?
thanks in advance
H
Have now found the two charge points on Charge Your Car website - might have to join this scheme... but not got a smart phone and not sure how much the chargers rely on using one - will have to give them a call...
cheers
Hi Hypermiler
I find this website very useful: http://www.evzone.org.uk/planner/ Don't worry too much about all the figures, just put in your start and end points and it will show you the rapids by default. You can play around with it to get it to show fast chargers instead. Looks like not much of any use till you get to Stockton-on-Tees, then Dalton Park just before you turn off for Seaham. You can zoom in and out quite easily! It also shows photos of some of the charging points and comments of people who have used them successfully (or not!).
I believe you will need a CYC card to use these. I think it's £20 a year but I'm not 100% sure. I use their card rather than the app... HTH

Thanks for that
I ended up using the fast charger at Dalton Park - there was a Leaf plugged in when we got there but after a quick bite in MacDonalds they had kindly left so I dashed across and hooked up. I think it was free to use with a CYC card which I now have...
Cheers
H

Welcome Mocara.

The TV mast is over 1000ft tall so you could be overlooking it from up to 5 miles way in any direction? I bet you get a good reception on the DAB radio though :lol:

I see more and more PHEVs around these parts. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Just need to get yourself some solar panels now (or a wind turbine given your location?) and get the Sun to charge it up for free...

steve2001 said:
Welcome Mocara.

The TV mast is over 1000ft tall so you could be overlooking it from up to 5 miles way in any direction? I bet you get a good reception on the DAB radio though :lol:

I see more and more PHEVs around these parts. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Just need to get yourself some solar panels now (or a wind turbine given your location?) and get the Sun to charge it up for free...

Ah, well in my case I look across the valley from Thornhill Edge, so not too far away:) Your absolutely right about solar and and wind energy. There is rarely a still day.

Hello, I will be taking my delivery of my GX4H in White the end of July, I am in Wakefield and commute 10 miles on a morning with school run and getting to work and around 12 miles after work with the odd trip to Leeds or Barnsley in between, I will be able to charge at work as well as at home, I run the car through my business so am looking forward to saving on tax and hopefully fuel.

Ay up Aayork! (sorry couldn't help myself....)

I have a similar usage profile with school runs, short commutes and pottering around Leeds/Wakefield area. I filled up with petrol 2 days ago and only put in £30. My previous fill up was a similar amount 6 weeks ago on 12th May and I have covered nearly 1200 miles in between. I have my own spreadsheet that tells me I managed in this period to get 198mpg ICE (e.g. petrol engine running). Factoring in daily charging that drops to 92mpg which is still excellent. I have solar panels, so it is likely to be better than that cost wise - but it would be very difficult to work out so I don't bother!

If you search this forum there are lots of useful posts that will advise on charging, use of Charge/Save buttons and the effect of cold weather on battery performance/mpg etc. If you have any specific questions please ask away - there are many veteran members who are happy to help and have extremely good PHEV technical knowledge.

Hello there
Hi, I Mike and live just outside of Durham.
Had my gx4hs one year on 21st November and its going in for 1st service at GMD inDurham.
Old shape phev plain white.
I've got LEDs for fogs, drls, inside, number plate lights...... All yet to be fitted.
Bought protection pack + rubber mat set + dog guard.....but dogs like being in the front!

So hi there to one and all.
Have polar gas board charr at home, Rolec at our bungalow.......fitted1 year, worked 1 day, I'm came out today and 1 loose wire, so let's hope and use 3 pin charger at holiday home.

So we'll wait and see

mikehep said:
Hello there
Hi, I Mike and live just outside of Durham.
Had my gx4hs one year on 21st November and its going in for 1st service at GMD inDurham.
Old shape phev plain white.
I've got LEDs for fogs, drls, inside, number plate lights...... All yet to be fitted.
Bought protection pack + rubber mat set + dog guard.....but dogs like being in the front!

So hi there to one and all.
Have polar gas board charr at home, Rolec at our bungalow.......fitted1 year, worked 1 day, I'm came out today and 1 loose wire, so let's hope and use 3 pin charger at holiday home.

So we'll wait and see

Hi mikehep

Good to see you've joined the forum - how come the Rolec is broken after 1 use?

Back