Ordering an Extended Demo-What do I need to Charge it?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver5

Ordering an Extended Demo-What do I need to Charge ? (GX4h)

Im going to order an extended demo (company car) - Do i need to register for any "access cards" to enable me to charge it at any remote locations or are they all free access ?? Spotted charging points ie, Ikea, Sainsburys, Service Stations etc etc ??

Any advice on how to get the most from the demo would be much appreciated.

(Im planing to do a dummy run of my commute, school drop offs etc to ensure I can do a pure EV run. )

Also, can anyone recommend a "cheap" extension lead I can use on the drive to charge the car please or a min/max amp so i can check my current one.

Thank you

Ikea charge points are operated by Ecotricity, and will need a card to operate. Their cards are free, but you need to register your details including Reg No. to get one.

CYC (charge your car) network uses a smartphone app but requires you to register a payment card before you can use even a free CYC charge point.
Some of their points require a card to operate instead of the app - that card will cost you £20 for a year’s subscription.
CYC manage access to the charge points at our nearest ASDA, as well as our Council provided city centre points.

Other charge schemes are usually locale specific, so would be unable to comment further on those.

Most charge points will require a Type1 to Type 2 cable in order to be used with the Outlander. Rapid (30 minute) chargers are mainly operated by Ecotricity and have their own cable.

Seek out charge points here, and also discover who operates them.
https://www.zap-map.com

There are posts on here with extension lead recommendations (I do not use one), but make sure any lead you use is fully unwound first.

when you say "Extended-Demo" is that going to be a weekend or a few days?
Not worth paying for the CYC or local charge point cards - and in practice you are not going to want to charge at these points - leaving the car for 3-4hours just to get 50% charge is not going to be helpful...
In reality I only ever use the rapid charge ( Ecotricity ) points at Motorway services (and Ikea I think) and only if I want a break anyway...they give you 80% in approx 30min.
Charging at home from 13amp socket using the supplied charging lead is all you will need to do and if you need an extension lead to reach the nearest socket use a GOOD quality 13amp lead and if its on a reel unwind it fully. From empty to full SOC will take 4-5hours.
Leads for other charge points i.e a type 1 to type 2 connector will set you back £160 so unless you are absolutely sure you will bear getting a PHEV no point in spending on these just for a demo....

Thanks for your advice, in that case it will not be worth me registering for these cards as i wont know the reg or get chance to charge unless I plan to go to these places or plan a trip.

An extended Demo will be a Thursday to Tuesday. Thinking about it I may as well use the fuel option to recharge if needs be to get a "feel" of the electric drive and ranges.

I would expect the demo to come with the standard charge cable.

Cheers

Back