Outlander test drive

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garrett

After a half a year wait for my ordered Outlander PHEV, things became a little bit more real, when I got a call that the test drive sample has arrived in Finland. The initial date for the test drive was set to May. I was told that the drivers from Mitsubishi Finland were then already in Germany, but they had to come back empty handed. We all know the problems which were active then.

Now in September, which was the original month for the delivery of MY car, It was possible to take one sample for a test drive. The white Outlander PHEV was still in german registration so it is the very same car that has been going around in Europe for whole summer. I forgot to check the mileage. It would have been an interesting point.. It was a pre production version.

My test drive slot was only 15 minutes so I cannot give an in depth review but here are my impressions and feelings.

I was happy about ...
... the quiteness. The absence of noise totally blew me away. Accelerating to highway and cruising at 100km/h with only little noise from the tires was unreal. The Finnish pavement is known to be very noisy. That is because during winter we use studded tyres. To make the asphalt more durable we use more "rocky" compound than almost the rest of the world. Eventually the tar wears out from the road and voilá - a small scale Roman Brick Roads are formed. I did not check the brand nor the model of the tyres but I don't think they are some kind of prototype tyres I couldn't buy from a shop myself. The engine noise was very well damped, too. OK, it is still a screamy little inline-four, but it was not something I hate to hear.

... on the road performance. On the road the speed changes were effortless and easy. Entries to highway were easy, and a quick pass past a truck to make it to exit were just a walk in the park. Very nice.

... the middle screen. The BIG Screen. You cannot have too much information. I could not check it during my minimal test drive, but it will be interesting to find out all the options in it. Missus liked the reverse camera.

I was unhappy about ...
... the impossibility to move the rear seat. The five seater version does not have the luxury of adjusting the rear seat horizontally. Only the backrest has a few (two?) tilt options from normal to almost vertical. In practice the backrest is always in the most tilted position.

... performance from standstill. Accelerating from a intersection with a little bit of traffic was disappointing. Just where is the electric motors "full torque from 0 rpm". I guess it has been programmed on comfortable side to make the drivetrain last longer. However I never did a full pedal to the metal acceleration because Mitsu guy was on the back seat. Maybe there is a little punch hidden there.

... no Meego support for the app. But hey, I know it is only a handful of people taht has it and Jolla-phone (already prebooked) will have Android support.

... a regular handbrake. This handbrake lever was torn off from 80's Galant. Really?! this kind of car deserves an electric handbrake.

It takes time to get used to ....
... all those little buttons and switches. A specific rant must be given to position P. The little joystick acting out as the gear lever is easy and takes little or no time to get familiar with. Drive and reverse. Easy. Stopping is not easy. P has to be selected from a separate button, located in front of the joystick. Arm has the bend in a twist to accomplish this. I bet there would have been a way to program a position P in the joystick.

Odd ones ...
... The transition from electric drive to partial ICE-drive could be felt as a tiny "notch". The salesman on the back seat immediately replied that it may be more transparent in the production version, but I kind of liked the feeling - that I could feel when it connected on solid drive instead of just seeing it from the screen.

At this point I was given a choice to cancel my order. I didn't. I was also told that all the Finnish pre-ordered cars are alread produced and waiting to be shipped. I must contact my own salesrep if he can dig out the exact shipping date and/or the ships name so I can track it during its voyage. Expected delivery now in December. Talk about an expensive Christmas gift.

Not a bad review for only having a short test drive, thanks so much for being thorough and sharing all your thoughts positive and negative about the Outlander PHEV!

Interesting how they give you a test drive, and then ask you if you want to cancel your order - unless they worded it in a better way :)

klaus said:
Not a bad review for only having a short test drive, thanks so much for being thorough and sharing all your thoughts positive and negative about the Outlander PHEV!

Interesting how they give you a test drive, and then ask you if you want to cancel your order - unless they worded it in a better way :)

You are right about the wording. Of course they didn't ask if I want to cancel. It was an option said during the initial ordering process - that I could cancel the order if I was not happy about the test drive.

Cheers,

Hi Garret, any updates for us? Has your PHEV shipped? If not, do you know when or have any details?

Back