Overhead LED mystery

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viaccess

Is anyone able to explain why there is a light constantly on overhead (in the middle, between the door lights and near to the roof retracting switch - see image)?

I am finding it very irritating. If anyone knows what it is, or more importantly how to switch it off, I would be most grateful!

light.jpg

My car is a 2017 Outlander PHEV 5hs

Ha! we haven't seen this one for a while. Other brands have this mystery light too.
The most common explanation is that it is an orientation light, legal requirement in some countries.
Others think that it gives a small downlight in pitch dark.

Its not on all the time, its only lit up when the headlights are on. I’m fairly sure it is designed purely to provide a small amount of ambient light / glow towards the centre console when its dark outside.

I don’t think there’s any way to switch it off, other than turning off the headlights.

Cut a small peice of opaque tape and stick on it. This is what my dealer has done

geoffshep69 said:
Its not on all the time, its only lit up when the headlights are on. I’m fairly sure it is designed purely to provide a small amount of ambient light / glow towards the centre console when its dark outside.

I don’t think there’s any way to switch it off, other than turning off the headlights.
Why should other makes have exactly the same orange rectangular light then? I cannot imagine an industry-wide agreement to provide it.
Nissan, Honda, Jaguar, Ford, to name but a few.

jaapv said:
geoffshep69 said:

Why should other makes have exactly the same orange rectangular light then? I cannot imagine an industry-wide agreement to provide it.

True, but equally not every car has it, so if it was some sort of legal requirement then wouldn't all cars have it, rather than just a selection of makes ?

geoffshep69 said:
jaapv said:
geoffshep69 said:

True, but equally not every car has it, so if it was some sort of legal requirement then wouldn't all cars have it, rather than just a selection of makes ?

I guess it's a legal requirement in one or more of the markets where Mitsubishi want to sell the PHEV and they have taken the view that the incremental cost of adding one moderately bright LED is sufficiently low that it is not worth having two different lighting units on the shelves. If it were a significant expense, then they would probably limit it to those markets where it is actually required.

Gilbo said:
its not a legal requirement its simply there to cast some light onto the central console during darkness. Lots of cars have them and lots don't!
But what stumps me is that all have exactly the same size, shape, colour and location. If it were simply "a thing" one would expect variation across the brands.

BobEngineer said:
I like it!

I'm pretty neutral about it, and puzzled how anyone can get so annoyed by it... It is a very low output lamp compared with everything on the dashboard.

I attended the release of the 2009 Prius in Detroit and that came with this light. The Prius experts told us it was to illuminate the gear lever. It wasn't on the earlier Prius because the gear shift was on the dashboard and had internal illumination.

jaapv said:
geoffshep69 said:

It's seen as a prestige item I would guess.

Back