Photovoltaic FiT- PHEV home charging tip

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooksdown

Hi all

A perfect scenario has to be sucking energy from the sky and squirting it into your PHEV. However if you have a domestic PV FiT system installed, and find plugging the PHEV into the 16A home charging point requires importing some additional power from the grid, try using the 13A charger instead. As this limits the charging current to the PHEV, it gives a better probability of using more daytime 'home brewed' electricity. I tried this just now and went from charging and importing (not free) to charging and exporting (better than free).

Happy Charging !

I have a slightly different setup. Don't recharge from the grid at all. I just use the surplus PV from my self use house power system. The Lithium house battery can fully recharge the car if needed, but I generally go out in the morning with the car, while the house battery recharges and then plug the car in and fill it up in the afternoon directly from the AC coupled solar. At the end of the day both batteries generally are full. On poor solar days, there may not be enough for the car as well, but heh it has its own backup petrol generator. Sweet.

Rooksdown said:
Hi all

A perfect scenario has to be sucking energy from the sky and squirting it into your PHEV. However if you have a domestic PV FiT system installed, and find plugging the PHEV into the 16A home charging point requires importing some additional power from the grid, try using the 13A charger instead. As this limits the charging current to the PHEV, it gives a better probability of using more daytime 'home brewed' electricity. I tried this just now and went from charging and importing (not free) to charging and exporting (better than free).

Happy Charging !
Exactly what I'm doing at this present moment! And they're paying me for it! :p

Back