Preferred Home Charging Company

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

napton

I've taken the plunge and ordered my PHEV for delivery in March, and am now thinking about a home charging unit.

What are peoples preferred suppliers? Which ones should I avoid?

I live in Sussex.

Thanks

Ray

Hi Ray, I have just got my PHEV 2 weeks ago and have a charging unit fitted.

I am in Sussex as well (Shoreham by Sea).

I used Rolec - a 32amp 5M Tethered Unit - which was free (except some additional work I had to have done because my distribution box was not up to it and I also had to have a 10M external run to the charging point which isn't included in the deal).

It was fitted by a company called TechForEnergy who are based in Guildford. Good service, I ordered it the week before Christmas - just when everyone was closing up for a break until the new year so in real terms the process didn't really start until the beginning of Jan, but it was fitted on 27th Jan - just before the car arrived so wasn't a problem.

Was very happy with the service, good communication and a tidy job and it works well.

Phil

i used rolec who subbed it out to a local contractor job done well. I did order the 32 amp charger though as it was same price, but all i got was the 16amp charger. Not that it makes much difference with outlander.

I also have a Rolec charge point, professionally installed by a local electrician assigned by Rolec.

Mine came with a separate meter so I can see precisely how many kWh have been used for charging. I believe the Chargemaster system has an online portal for usage info, but I'll let someone else fill in the details on that.

rtw said:
I also have a Rolec charge point, professionally installed by a local electrician assigned by Rolec.

Mine came with a separate meter so I can see precisely how many kWh have been used for charging. I believe the Chargemaster system has an online portal for usage info, but I'll let someone else fill in the details on that.

Yes, the ChargeMaster system sends data to an online database, which you can access to see your personal charge data via a username and password. However, there are many reports of the data being unreliable. Personally I have found the kWh data to be predictable and as I would expect, however the time of day data recorded is garbage.

My Rolec has a separate meter with a digital readout you can see, but believe it also has a SIM to send data which is a requirement of all Government Grant installs?

Applied through the Rolec website who then subbed it out.

This was AFTER being let down by THREE other installers! :evil:

Went for a 16amp, 5m tethered charge point.

The car's not here yet, but looking at the cable, I hope it's long enough... :shock:

Goldfinger said:

The car's not here yet, but looking at the cable, I hope it's long enough... :shock:
I am debating having a point installed because 5m isn't long enough for me and all the suppliers I have spoken to have said the units only come with 5m. The alternative is buying an untethered option, which sort of negates the point of it for me, as the difference between 3hrs / 5hrs charge time doesn't mean a lot to me.

Trying to find that universal cable I saw on this site which had all the electronics in it but struggling as the search won't let me use "cable" being too common and trawling through the various pages is proving fruitless. Anyone know the link?

Titan said:
Goldfinger said:

I am debating having a point installed because 5m isn't long enough for me and all the suppliers I have spoken to have said the units only come with 5m. The alternative is buying an untethered option, which sort of negates the point of it for me, as the difference between 3hrs / 5hrs charge time doesn't mean a lot to me.

Trying to find that universal cable I saw on this site which had all the electronics in it but struggling as the search won't let me use "cable" being too common and trawling through the various pages is proving fruitless. Anyone know the link?

If you have any ambition to use public charging points, you may end up buying your own cable anyway, so the untethered unit would be a valid option.

You may be surprised at how much difference 3 vs. 5 hours makes. It's not uncommon for me to do enough miles in the morning to pull my battery down a fair bit and put it on charge for a couple of hours in the afternoon in anticipation of a moderate run in the evening.

+1 to maby's comment.
Also the 16Amp home charge means you can preheat without draining battery, if on a 10A supplied cable, the electric heater draws from the battery and recharges but not fast enough. Negligible for 10 min preheat but noticeable if you defrost icy car for 20mins.

if you went untethered, these guys do a 10m lead: https://evconnectors.com/ev-plug-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-cable

HJB

+2.

It's not so much the difference between 3 and 5 hours to full charge - it's how much extra the dedicated charger will squeeze into your battery if you have an odd hour or so between runs. Perfect for Dad's taxi runs!

I can highly recommend EV Charging Solutions. Chris and his team are excellent, offering great advise and a top quality installation. They can install the Rolec units without having to contact Rolec. http://www.evchargingsolutions.co.uk/

Give them a ring whether its for the home grant unit or business installation.

Photo_12_02_2015_12_46_45.jpg

Back