Range anxiety

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentphev

Hello

Took delivery of a nearly-new GX4 yesterday and was shocked (neh horrored) to see it display a range of 240 miles with a near full tank of petrol.

The brochure says 500+ mile range, which OK I didnt expect to get that.. but 240 !!!???

Im hoping that will jump up on a longer run like most fuel computers once you get out of town.

Does it say 500+ on the PHEV brochure? I think that is the figure for the diesel - you'll be very lucky to get 350 out of a PHEV running in primarily petrol mode.

outofyorkshire said:
UK brochure quote : 512 miles (max range - Hybrid mode ) :shock: :lol:

Hmmm, well, extremely optimistic, I should say!

512 miles minus the (very optimistic) EV range of 32 miles gives 480 miles to do on petrol. The car has a 10 gallon tank, so that assumes 48mpg... I've never seen better than 43mpg on petrol, and 35 to 40 mpg is more realistic - so a total range of between 350 and 400 miles is more like it. That is a summer figure - 300ish is probably more likely in the winter.

Yes.. I read someone claiming its because of a small tank. But the owners manual says 45L which is 9.9 (call it 10) UK gallons.

240 miles / 10 gallons = 24 MPG

Jerrycan for peace of mind- problem solved. Actually, when the car starts screaming empty, you will have 50 or more miles of range left...

kentphev said:
Yes.. I read someone claiming its because of a small tank. But the owners manual says 45L which is 9.9 (call it 10) UK gallons.

The answer may be in your introductory words : "Took delivery of a nearly-new GX4 yesterday " - the range estimates are based on past driving style - my estimated range on a full tank tends to be a bit over 300 miles - and, surprise, my recent average fuel consumption is around 33mpg. Other owners have reported average fuel consumptions as high as 25mpg - which will result in estimated ranges around 250 miles. You'll have to run it for a few weeks before you know if you are a 500 miler or a 250 miler!

maby said:
kentphev said:

The answer may be in your introductory words : "Took delivery of a nearly-new GX4 yesterday " - the range estimates are based on past driving style - my estimated range on a full tank tends to be a bit over 300 miles - and, surprise, my recent average fuel consumption is around 33mpg. Other owners have reported average fuel consumptions as high as 25mpg - which will result in estimated ranges around 250 miles. You'll have to run it for a few weeks before you know if you are a 500 miler or a 250 miler!

That is welcome news and Im hoping its longer! My last car (Peugeot 3008 diesel hybrid) could do nearly 600 miles on a tank which meant I could do Kent to Bristol round trips twice without filling up. If I can get closer to 400 miles that would be nice.

kentphev said:
That is welcome news and Im hoping its longer! My last car (Peugeot 3008 diesel hybrid) could do nearly 600 miles on a tank which meant I could do Kent to Bristol round trips twice without filling up. If I can get closer to 400 miles that would be nice.

Looking at the numbers though the 3008 had a much bigger fuel tank and a diesel engine but the battery was 1/12th the size of the PHEV one so presumably had an electric range of about a mile or so?

kentphev said:
maby said:
kentphev said:

You'll need to be a fairly gentle driver to get 400 miles out of it. It's certainly possible if you cruise between 50 and 60 on motorways and ease it off the lights, but if you regularly drive over 70 or put your foot down from a standing start, you will bring it closer to the 300 mark.

The trouble is that it is quite a nippy car and you can get carried away with it. I came from a Prius which I treated with kid gloves and in my first month or two of PHEV ownership I was getting an average of over 50mpg (combined EV and petrol). Then I loosened up a bit and realised that if you floor it off the lights, it is surprisingly fast for a large SUV estate car. You are never going to beat a sports car that is trying, but you can give them quite a surprise - and it becomes addictive. My overall average since I bought the car is now down to about 46mpg and in the last two or three months I reckon I'm averaging worse than 35mpg - but I am enjoying driving again!

Not sure what to make of the range calculations on the PHEV.

Today I did 270 miles starting on a full tank and its just gone down to half on the fuel tank display. The range left says 150 miles.
So 270 on one half and only 150 on the second half?

I guess the fuel gauge might not be linear, but my MPG was 51 with two quick charges on the M4.

So overall, quite relieved that I can get from Kent to Bristol and back and still have plenty of petrol left :)

Back