Range (Petrol/Hybrid mode - not EV)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnfather

Quick question (I know I'm full of them at the moment).

I understand about the EV range, but when you have filled up with petrol, what does the display give you for regular hybrid (petrol) range?

When I had the demo car, it told me about 220m range, but suspect thats because it had been thrashed before being delivered

The range figure is not exactly accurate!
In theory a full tank could take you 400 miles or more. I've seen mine saying 350 when I switch off at night, and 300 in the morning before I move off. Basically it jumps around too much to be much use. I guess that like the EV range its based on recent driving style, but it seems a bit too sensitive to me to say the least.

Personally I just use the fuel gauge and fill up when it gets near the bottom. Apparently the PHEV is very conservative when advising you that you need petrol. It will also use the battery reserve before grinding to a halt.

When I've just filled up with petrol I usually get about 400 miles showing (including the c30 miles on leccy).

Yesterday I filled up my Lexus CT and it registered 465 mile range (same tank size as outlander). Had a rather 'quick' (for me) journey to Birmingham and back (circa 150 miles) and now it's registering 200 miles.... I'd never noticed this before, bizarrely, but all this talk of the Outlander has suddenly made me acutely aware of MPG and range :)

It's a ten gallon tank and if you are reasonably gentle driving you'll get forty-something mpg - not a difficult sum. It does start to get rather worked up while there is still quite a lot of fuel in the tank - and the range estimates are pretty inaccurate - I reckon on no more than 300 miles between refills.

What is the fuel reserve in the outlander? In other words, how much of the 45l tank is not covered by the range calculation? I assume there is some!

If you look at Outlander PHEVs on fuelly.com, it appears that fill ups of over 40 litres are extremely rare, suggesting that it keeps about 1 gallon in reserve. I haven't been brave enough to run it down and try it out yet :eek:

Barnfather said:
What is the fuel reserve in the outlander? In other words, how much of the 45l tank is not covered by the range calculation? I assume there is some!
Since Jan this year my biggest fillup was 39.3 litres and I remember being a bit concerned about running out. Seems I had nothing to worry about but I don't like going beyond 0 miles :)

Back