Recall on Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marta

I didn't see this a few days ago, but on April 23rd, Mitsubishi Motors Corp said it will recall its Outlander plug-in hybrid vehicle because of control program defects - and this is 3 months after its launch. There are 3,839 Outlander PHEV plug-ins that were sold in the Japanese market between January and March, and all are subject to the recall.

Does anyone know what actually went wrong with the 'control program'? What is the issue it is being recalled for?

marta said:
I didn't see this a few days ago, but on April 23rd, Mitsubishi Motors Corp said it will recall its Outlander plug-in hybrid vehicle because of control program defects - and this is 3 months after its launch. There are 3,839 Outlander PHEV plug-ins that were sold in the Japanese market between January and March, and all are subject to the recall.

Does anyone know what actually went wrong with the 'control program'? What is the issue it is being recalled for?

Yes, this was already discussed uopn here at Outlander Forum, it seems like the Lithium Ion batteries purchased from a Japanese manufacturer were heavily malfunctioned and Mitsubishi had to call them in

I think I read in the Outlander PHEV Forum that they have found the problem and fixed it.

Bob, I don't think this is the correct, is it?
What I understood is that there were two seperate issues. The li-ion battery production problem, which did not require a recall only a change in the production process, and a firmware/software issue in the control of the two electric motors.
Just like all software it is very difficult for programmers to test for all possible combinations of circumstances when testing their code and Mitsubishi found that there were some situations that the control software didn't handle correctly and they needed to update the software (firmware) in the Outlanders that they had already delivered to handle this correctly.
No different to the endless updates we get for our computers, tablets and smart phones.

Anyway, that's what I understood. Did I get it wrong?

Correct - and Mitsubishi has made the Outlander PHEV recall official. The battery pack build process has been changed to eliminate the test sequence that internally damaged some of the battery cells prior to installation in the vehicle.

There was also an issue with some of the batteries being dropped during manufacturing, so I assume they will train people to hold onto them better :)

Back