Regenerative braking change after software update?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webbo73

I did the latest software update via the app at the weekend and spotted the additional 30 minute option in the timer settings and from reading on here thought that was all I would get, however when I set off, I swear that the regenerative braking "effect" has been reduced. It may be purely my imagination, but I feel that level 3,4 & 5 have been reduced in their aggressiveness - level 5 for me used to be really noticable when cruising - it was a really noticable slowing of the car - however since the update, it's much more sublet - more like 2 or 3 used to be... caught me out when coming up behind another car and trying to use regen to slow down like I normally would. It may be nothing to do with the update and just coincidence but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed a change in this area since doing the update?

I can't say I have noticed any difference, but don't forget that you don't really get effective regen until the battery is a little depleted so the power has somewhere to go.

BeeJay said:
I can't say I have noticed any difference, but don't forget that you don't really get effective regen until the battery is a little depleted so the power has somewhere to go.

Ahah - good shout BeeJay - I left the house fully charged so that's probably what it was! Doh... as you were everyone...

Is the SOC full when that happens?

The only think that affects the strength of regenerative breaking its the battery SOC (state of charge). When 100% full there's just a light regen that will increase gradually when the SOC reduces. An overflow charge damages the cells and the controller will cut.

That leads to an unexpected behavior when some of us are counting with the B5 breaking/slowing down and it doesn't happen at all.

as far as I am aware the app only updates the software that relates to the app. Updates to the car firmware are done by your dealer.

as Jaapv says - the App only updates the remote control software - things like the screens on the MMCS that control settings etc...
There are Several ECU's that control the vehicles drive systems and those can only be updated via the CAN Bus... i.e. Dealer ONLY...

dgmulti said:
as Jaapv says - the App only updates the remote control software - things like the screens on the MMCS that control settings etc...
There are Several ECU's that control the vehicles drive systems and those can only be updated via the CAN Bus... i.e. Dealer ONLY...
Not even MMCS. Just the app itself and the software for the WiFi module. Remember, MMCS still does not allow 20 or 30 minutes of heating after the update.

Back