Roof load capacity - Outlander PHEV 2018

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vladmetz

Hi all,
I'm planning to install a roof tent on my Outlander PHEV 2018.
I've heard that the chassis of the car is made from aluminium and it will not support much weight on the pillars.
Is this true ? Any ideas about the static supported load ?

The tent has around 80Kgs which will come under the dynamic load.
However static load will be around 250kg (tent + 2 adults + 2 small kids)

Also I suppose I will need to install new roof racks because I doubt the existing ones will support that weight.

Thanks

Remember that the car roof should support the car if it tumbles over (I had a case with my previous Mitsubishi 2020 Petrol, even moved about 30 meters on the roof, nasty car crash, thankfully, none of the family was harmed), so... it should definitely support 2 adults and a tent. And I don't think the two small kids will make a huge difference.

However... the exact roof rack to use, is an open question.

I was fitting some flaring nuts into the holes in the roof rack rails, while standing on a ladder next to the car, I ended up making some significant dents in the 'shoulder' adjacacent the rails with my knee. That metal is very easy to damage!

It may be that the roof, or rather ther pillars will support the car upside down in a crash but it's going to look ugly after the fact, that does not imply that a tent on top with several humans as well wont also make an Ugly mess. Further, you got a PHEV for it's economical driving, Why would you willingly ruin that by shoving a big non aerodynamic brick on top to use twice a year but carry zround 365 days a year. Let's be honest, who ever gakes those things off.

Slightley off topic, but I am highly amused by the number of toutests in twincabs here on KI who are sporting bright orange sand ladders on their roof racks. Are they really that bad at driving off road?? We went 12 years in the middle east in the 80s 90s and did a lot of exploring, mind you we were driving Land Rovers. Lower your tyre pressures people.

Yeah, I have friends who mock 4WD vehicles that sprout 'fruit'.

(Shovels, jacks, sand tracks, spare wheels, etc.)

Fully understand the need for vehicles that actually leave the road, but on Toorak Tractors with showroom paint finishes, it just looks silly.

Last August, I purchased a JAMES BAROUD rooftop tent, model ODYSSEY, with a weight of 65kg excluding the ladder. It offers low wind resistance, incorporating aerodynamics into its design!

I've installed an official Mitsubishi car roof rack crossbar sold by the dealership, which has a dynamic load capacity of up to 80kg as stated in the manual. During the summer, I mount the rooftop tent for trips or camping, and by October, I remove it from the car and store it in the garage!

Here's the link to the tent and official specifications, along with photos of it installed on my vehicle!

https://jamesbaroud.com/rooftop-tents/odyssey/

Our best-in-class ABS hardshell tent, the Odyssey, delivers superior comfort and convenience with the world's best-performing fabrics.

HIGHEST QUALITY
Some of the marvels of the Odyssey tent include its shape and views from the inside. We always chose an organic element as inspiration for the structure. The Odyssey takes its shape from the intricate curvatures of the whale shark. This design is not only eye-catching but also offers less wind resistance, thus reducing fuel consumption. We're also proud to feature the only tent with a 360-degree panoramic view, enabling incredible views and creating better drafts which help the tent cool down faster during warmer temperatures.

Attachments

• IMG_1315.png
    IMG_1315.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1316.png
    IMG_1316.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1317.png
    IMG_1317.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9335.jpeg
    IMG_9335.jpeg