Run flat tyres

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyInOz

Staff member
The local tyre place, where I had a recent flat tyre repaired, just gave me a free rotation and wheel balance...

But they also gave me some unusual info.

1. They've recommended that I never use the tyre goo, supplied by Mitsubishi because they can't repair a tyre once that's been used. (The patches won't bond to the tyre, and they haven't been able to find a solvent that will remove the goo)

2. They've expressed surprise that the car is not supplied with run-flat tyres.
(The ones available in Australia are expected to be able to drive 250km at 80 km/h without damaging the tyre)

I'm currently using an after-market set of tyre pressure monitors (that sit in place of valve caps) and am thinking of buying the next version up, where the sensors replace the current valve body in the wheels.

These are also a pre-requisite for fitting run-flat tyres in Australia.

So... by the time I need to replace the current tyres, I'll be able to chose run-flats.

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations with using that style of tyre?

Andy

Had them on my BMW (3-series E91) and they are absolutely awful.
They ruin the ride, handling and composure of the car to the point that it hopped about on different road surfaces, tram-lined where trucks had rutted the tarmac and even skipped around the white lines!
I took them off after a couple of replacement sets and reverted to standard tyres and bought a space-saver spare. Only downside to this was there being nowhere to keep it as BMW had forgotten to design in a spare wheel well!
In my experience most BMW owners will put up with whatever BMW say so you don't hear much complaining from them hence their silence on the matter.

Oh and they're more expensive and largely unrepairable when punctured!

I'd rather have a spare wheel in the car, a space-saver if you insist.

Bridgestone Highway terrain tyres in OZ are available in a run flat version. its what i plan on putting on when this original set wear out.

I checked with my tyre supplier and he confirmed what Tipper said. Full runflat tyres can only be used on cars that have the suspension designed for them, otherwise the car becomes virtually undriveable.
So I compromised by getting regular tyres that have some limited runflat capability, i.e. Conti Crossmax. Very happy with them. Over here the advice is to call a roadside service when confronted with a flat tyre.

Hmm...

I think I might try to source a spare wheel from the wreckers...

For long trips, I could easily have a spare in the boot, or on a trailler.

All my reading so far on these "run flats" confirms what others have said here. They are typically very much more expensive, often not repairable, and provide a really uncomfortable ride.

Around town, I could put the car on a lift truck and have it taken to the nearest tyre repairer.

So far, the only problem I've had, was revealed by the tyre sensors (after-market) and was easily and cheaply repaired.

So, no "run flats" for me.

Thanks people, appreciate your input.

Andy

What about something like this, Andy?

http://www.online4wdaccessories.com.au/spare-wheel-carriers/51-tire-gate-spare-wheel-carrier-hitch-gate-series.html

Nice.

Even intended to work with my brand of tow-bar.

:D

I don't do many serious country runs, but that would be nice to have for long trips.

jaapv said:
What about something like this, Andy?

http://www.online4wdaccessories.com.au/spare-wheel-carriers/51-tire-gate-spare-wheel-carrier-hitch-gate-series.html

Great idea been looking for something like this but only problem I can see is reversing camera and sensors will not be usable otherwise ok.

So yes when having a flat in city use nearest tyre service shop and when in country bring spare tyre with you or put extra spare on trailer.

Back