Securing your charge cable

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWolfy

I'm waiting for my new G3 to be delivered and am thinking of my home charging options. Specifically, how to secure my charge cable when leaving it plugged in. I live in a reasonably crime free area, but it's still Manchester!

How have people done this so far, please? Given the price, I don't want some toe-rag opportunist running off with it. I was thinking of a metal wall/ground secured 'D' ring and using a padlock the cable runs through.

DavidWolfy said:
I'm waiting for my new G3 to be delivered and am thinking of my home charging options. Specifically, how to secure my charge cable when leaving it plugged in. I live in a reasonably crime free area, but it's still Manchester!

How have people done this so far, please? Given the price, I don't want some toe-rag opportunist running off with it. I was thinking of a metal wall/ground secured 'D' ring and using a padlock the cable runs through.

We have a British Gas installed charging point with a tethered cable. They would have to nick the whole thing by ripping it off the wall!!
You can then use a small padlock to fix the connector to the car. This stops them being little buggers and disconnecting it just to pi** you off.

Thanks MHS. I have a ChargeMaster point in my garage, but suspect I'll put an external 13amp socket by my drive for ease. Want to make it easy for my wife so the car gets charged. Time to charge isn't much of an issue as it will be overnight.

Why didn't you have the charge point on an outside wall? It's so easy to plug in when you get home rather than faffing about with padlocks etc.

Posty said:
Why didn't you have the charge point on an outside wall? It's so easy to plug in when you get home rather than faffing about with padlocks etc.

There wasn't an spot to place the charger. The only suitable place had the boiler vent in situ so no other option. Plus, it wasn't the most attractive thing to be stuck on the front of the house (wife's words). Anyway, isn't the cable just as easy to nick if it's in the charger on the outside? There isn't a lock that I can see on the charger (haven't seen the car connector).

I'll probably just run the cable under the garage door and that will prevent it being nicked anyway as the hole will only be big enough for the cable. Just means buying a long cable to stretch from the garage, under the door and out to the car. A 10 meter cable is about £175 I think.

Check this thread @ http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=959

If you look in the thread just linked to, you will see a way of securing the cable to a wheel I found in another forum. Not tried it yet myself, but have a padlock in the car ready in case I ever feel the need...

Back