suggestions on insurance

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardOFB

I collected my (company purchased) Gx4h on Saturday.
I didn't need to do anything about insurance, because the dealer arranged for 7 day cover of free cover from Mitsubishi. Which is nice, but I guess is also to make it easier for them to get the car registered and start the (free) annual road tax.

So now I have to arrange for insurance from next weekend.
I was surprised that my current insurance company (Directline) want an extra £200 to swap over from my current (personally owned) Japanese grey import Subaru wrx go-faster boy-racer rally car to a slow old-man Eco-friendly hybrid for the remaining 10 months of my policy.

The PHEV needs to go in the driveway, so it can charge overnight.
Looks like the Subaru will have to park on the road until I can sell it.
So I might need another / 2nd car policy for a while.

A quick go around the price comparison sites shows that the cost of the premium for an middle aged person (50) like me for SD&P and basic business use (not commercial traveling) doing around 10,000 a year, and with the other half (not quite as old) as a named driver, is nearly double the price for a PHEV than it was for my rally car.
Same address, lots of no claims, no accidents, no convictions, same cover, same estimate of mileage.

Does anyone have any useful thoughts on insurance for a PHEV?

Someone in another thread mentioned nfu mutual. I switched to them from direct line and saved £30 on my renewal (had an xc90) and got better cover.

The AA got my fully comprehensive on our new PHEV for about £50 less than they had been charging me for a beaten up old Prius. It will be interesting to see how much they charge next year after replacing the front wing!

I am sticking with AXA until my renewal in January as there is a £52.50 cancellation fee. They charged me £136 extra (pro-rata) which I guess would be near the £200 of others. I noticed Mitsubishi offer their own insurance but the quote they came back with was a laugh-out-loud joke.

I expect to save some money once I shop around at the end of the year.

Hopefully the range of choice will be greater when I renew this autumn - when we bought the car, several insurers including the one I was currently with, refused to cover the car on the grounds that it was too new and they didn't have the necessary statistics to calculate a premium!

Did mine a year ago and just had the renewal.
Last time it was all over the place partly I think down to it being so new.
I am 48, Central London, private driveway, 4 years NCD for this policy, 2 other cars, non-business use.
Mitsubishi quoted over £800 (!!) which sent me off to consult the Meerkat but ended up with Aviva (quoting direct) at around £250 (with 6k limited mileage).
Pleasingly renewal is £20 cheaper so will probably stick with it.
The internet is your friend...
Happy hunting

Had the same problem but as you say, the internet (or meerkat) is your friend.

I called the 0800 number and tried the Mitsubishi insurance, and got a quote of nearly £1,300 per year.
but if I ever had an accident, they promise to use real Mitsubishi parts, and not get them from a breakers yard.
I politely declined their offer, while trying not to laugh.

after an internet check with a confused Brian the robot, I went with the AA at £300
(who always gave me stupid high quotes for the Subaru)

And although I didn't do it with the PHEV, if you go through the Meerkat you can sell the soft toy on ebay for a quick £25-50 to reduce the premium further. There is demand!

gobiman said:
And although I didn't do it with the PHEV, if you go through the Meerkat you can sell the soft toy on ebay for a quick £25-50 to reduce the premium further. There is demand!
I kept my Baby Olaf in safari romper suit :)

I'm with RAC and just had my renewal (car just approaching 1st birthday). Renewal is £254 for 12K miles, protected ncd, legal fees, me and spouse. Not rung them yet, probably will call to see if I can get a bit off. Will also shop around first. They weren't really any more expensive than my 12 year old Polo last year when I bought the car.
Last finance payment this month - hurrah!
H

Back