Tailgate rattle

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHEVHappy

Hi, new 2016 Outlander owner here :D
I must say having had the car for a couple of weeks i am very pleased with it and the build quality, however i seem to have an annoying rattle from the rear end of the car, i think it's the tailgate. I have tried adjusting the dampers/stoppers but i still get the knocking/creaking. Has anyone else noticed this and come up with a solution??

Thank you for any advice

There was a post a year ago about some loose panels in the rearcompartment. Also some pics how to fix it.

Any one remember?

BR//Per-Anders

This sounds like a trip to your dealer is called for. Don't let them keep it, tell them you want is diagnosed and fixed while you drink the cup of tea they are going to give you!

Don't think I'm kidding either - my charging port cover moved on its hinge, I agreed a time to visit the dealer, and when I got there the mechanic came out to look, took the car in to the workshop and I hadn't finished a cup of tea before the job was done - diagnosis to fixed - 8 minutes flat

Equally, I have taken to carrying an old towel in the charging lead area under the boot floor to stop the lead from sliding and shaking as I drive - much quieter now.

My tailgate rattles and squeaks too, tried a lot of things no success and getting worse by the day.
Even though technology is marvellous on the PHEV build quality is not up to scratch IMHO.
Even my 11 year old ICE sports sedan with harsh suspension (120000 kms) does not create the internal noise created by my 2014 PHEV (22000 kms)
Not the mention steering wheel rattle & kick back on any surface other than perfectly smooth sealed road surface.
Other than those I'm loving it more every day I drive it :)

I suspect the interior noise only seems loud by comparison to the almost complete lack of road noise.

Remember the joke about the Rolls-Royce?

The owner took the car in for a service, and joked with the service manager: "At 80 miles an hour on the motorway, the only thing I could hear was the clock ticking in the dashboard."

When he got the car back, he found this line on the invoice:
"Dashboard clock replaced."

:lol:

Thank you for all your replies, I too have old towels in place to stop various items from rattling, i will remove the boot trim and see what the situation is with the side panel, it will be interesting to see whats under their as i have had a towbar fitted so maybe a rogue screw???

Thanks again sorry for not replying sooner but i didnt get any notifications of replies, anyone know how to set up email alerts ??

As I think it was mentioned in another post on here, if you remove the tray and the cover, some of the trim is not screwed down (for example, I removed the "floor" to fit a 12v socket and the side trim was resting on the bodywork with clear screw holes, but no fittings. I did not want to put a self-tappers in so I used double sided sticky pads under anything that was touching the bodywork).

I do not seem to have any rattling noises, the odd squeak and thump on rough roads (which others have commented on as regards the suspension) but nothing consistently making a noise (excluding SWMBO) :lol:

Have you had someone sit in the back, maybe with one of the seats folded, to see if they can wriggle about and see if they can locate where the noise is coming from?

I hope you find a solution . . .

Jeff

Steel188 said:
This sounds like a trip to your dealer is called for. Don't let them keep it, tell them you want is diagnosed and fixed while you drink the cup of tea they are going to give you!

Don't think I'm kidding either - my charging port cover moved on its hinge, I agreed a time to visit the dealer, and when I got there the mechanic came out to look, took the car in to the workshop and I hadn't finished a cup of tea before the job was done - diagnosis to fixed - 8 minutes flat

Equally, I have taken to carrying an old towel in the charging lead area under the boot floor to stop the lead from sliding and shaking as I drive - much quieter now.
Isn't your lead in the PHEV lead bag?

I had someone sat in the back and they solved one of the rattles which was the rear head rests which were fully up, over bumpy roads they vibrated when fully extended :oops:

Weather permitting i may well take the boot tray out at the weekend and see what transpires ( i am a bit OCD when it comes to squeeks and rattles )

Apart from this i am really enjoying the car. It's completely different to anything else i have owned but so far so good. my only major gripe is the range on a full tank, i am used to filling up and seeing a range of 500 plus miles, not any more, full tank and full battery 270mile :shock: :shock:

I have a run from leeds to stafford and back tomorrow, approx 220 miles. i will be setting off with a full tank and full battery ( 18/20 miles ) and i will see whats left when i get back. I am going to drive normally, no eco mode, leave it in drive, just sensible driving and we will see what the range is when i get home. this will be my first proper run in it so i look forward to seig the outcome. anyone care to hazard a guess at the mileage remaining when i get home???

PHEVHappy said:
anyone care to hazard a guess at the mileage remaining when i get home???
It very (very) much depends on how fast you cruise on the m'ways. If you cruise at 80 (not that I would ever recommend or even consider such illegal behaviour, as my in-house lawyer (Mrs M) has just advised me), you may struggle to make it home (without a refill)! Don't forget that (like most SUVs) it has all the aerodynamic efficiency of a brick :)

If you do need to stop to refuel, you will almost certainly be able to recharge for free, as ecotricity have outlets at almost every m'way services. You need to register with them and they send you a 'magic' card which must be scanned at the recharging point. I used this facility for the first time last week and it went well. At Beaconsfield services (M40) there are 3 'pumps' (and 4 spaces) but they were all in use (including another PHEV). A very helpful chap in a Leaf told me he'd almost finished and then showed me how to use the system (which is pretty straightforward, but it was good of him to help - part of the camaraderie of electric drivers). From 'empty' to 80% full in about 20 minutes.

AndyInOz said:
I suspect the interior noise only seems loud by comparison to the almost complete lack of road noise.

Remember the joke about the Rolls-Royce?

The owner took the car in for a service, and joked with the service manager: "At 80 miles an hour on the motorway, the only thing I could hear was the clock ticking in the dashboard."

When he got the car back, he found this line on the invoice:
"Dashboard clock replaced."

:lol:

Complete lack of road noise in Sydney, you must be joking, Sydney roads are most probably the worst in AU.
I am being objective here when comparing my vehicles and only paying attention to internal squeaks and rattles and PHEV is much worse.
I don't may be my interior was fit on a Friday afternoon or Monday morning shift :?
One important thing I forgot to mention is that there was no internal noise at all initially, it developed as the car aged and it was driven 99% in Sydney suburbs and 1% on smooth dirt roads.

You've reminded me...

There is a tyre lever/wheel spanner clipped into a removable panel in the rear luggage area.

In my case, there is a place to hold a second tool, maybe a screw driver?

I keep meaning to check if the missing tool has fallen down inside that cavity.

No bag for the charging cable in my car either.

:cry:

PHEVHappy said:
Apart from this i am really enjoying the car. It's completely different to anything else i have owned but so far so good. my only major gripe is the range on a full tank, i am used to filling up and seeing a range of 500 plus miles, not any more, full tank and full battery 270mile :shock: :shock:

270 miles range for a full battery and fuel tank seems low. Assuming 20 miles of battery range, and c.10 gallon tank, that means you are only getting 25mpg ? What speed are you driving at or what kind of route is that over ? General concensus on here seems to be that motorway crusing should generate around 35mpg, maybe a bit more if driven gently or a bit less if driven harder, but 25 mpg seems pretty low.

Thanks for the hints with clunks from the boot, have found a few old towels and using them to stop my granny cable and my (purchased) cable for connecting to public chargers bouncing about.

Imagine my surprise in pulling back the boot floor and finding two spaces for stowing stuff ... awesome!

A shame that the boot height is compromised in the PHEV, it looks much bigger on the outside....

Ok so I'm back from my journey from Leeds to Stafford and I can confirm the following

I started with a range of 279 miles including 10 miles of battery

I travelled 221 miles, about 200 of which were motorway miles but with the roadworks on the M62 and the M6 i recon a good 40 to 50% were in 50mph roadworks sections. Upon arriving home my range was 83 miles, zero battery miles left and the fuel gauge read just below half a tank.

This put the range at approx 300 miles, i put the car in eco mode for the entire journey, i used adaptive cruse control occasionally and left the regen in D (B2). I was not heavy footed on the power but I did power down to overtake or keep up mwith the traffic flow occasionally.

So all told a real world MPG of approx 30mpg.

I do think that had i continued on my journey on a motorway I would have got more than another 83 miles out of it if the tank reading is correct.

All told i am reasonably happy and if i tried i may be able to squeeze a trip to london and back (400 miles) on a full tank !!!! or am i kidding myself??

The estimate is thoroughly pessimistic. You have at least 50-60 miles more than the car tells you. Even if it starts screaming that it is empty and on fumes, there will be two gallons left in the tank.
You get better mileage if you use the buttons judiciously, for instance cruising at 60/70 on save or charge, roadworks and lower speed stretches on electricity. As long as you arrive at your next charge point with a flat battery. The ECO button has little or no impact on fuel consumption, in fact on nothing at all.

Now I am sure that squeaky sound is coming from my tail gate but have no idea how to stop it, any ideas?

Back