Takeoff routine

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaapv

Actually it is a lot like a light aircraft:
1. Fasten seatbelt
2. Press power
3. Wait for beep
4. Press brake
5. Press Power
6. Deactivate parking sensors
7. Activate GPS speedometer on iPhone
8. Check FCM
9. Deactivate spaceship sound
10. Deactivate LDW
11. Activate Eco
12. Press brake
13. Select D
14. Select B setting
15. Check traffic in mirrors
16. Takeoff

:D

Surely it should be:

1. Press brake and keep foot on it
2. Press start button
3. Fasten seat belt
4. Select drive
5. Drive off

You will have been checking the mirrors and around you while performing tasks 2, 3 & 4 by touch. Time taken - about 8 seconds.

You must have a loud seatbelt and regular ACC warnings ;)Well, that is not the way I like to drive the car ;) . And yes, the post contains a bit of tongue-in-cheek.

If it's just me:

1. Press footbrake
2. Press power
3. Put on seatbelt
4. Select Drive and pull away before the rest of the systems are booted up
5. Disable spaceship sound

If it's me and the kids, well we'll be here for sometime...

Press footbrake and power, start driving, fumble with seat belt while trying to avoid hitting neighbour's car...

1. Put seatbelt on
  2. Push brake lever
  3. press start
  4. select drive
  5. curse because the stupid boot sequence hadn't finished
  6. select drive again
  7. waggle paddle until B5 is selected
  8. release handbrake
  9. drive

A double downward tap on the 'gear' selector joystick will put you into B5 (a single downward movement gives B3).

seatbelt on.
Foot on brake.
power on.
handbrake off.
Re-position mirror if wife used it last.
Tom Tom to docking mount, select work mode or private mode.
Select Tom Tom destination (its an industrial one used for work tracking purposes).
tap gear lever.
press accelerator.
Change MMCS to DAB or SD card depending no time of day.
set aircon to feet/windscreen to stop the over enthusiastic mid vents making my eyes water.
Switch off clangers noise.
Pop whatever the 'sweet of the day' is in my mouth.
Look at fuel gauge and decide if need to stop at cheaper local garage before motorway.

Actually putting the foot on the brake before the first "power" push can result in the error message demanding ACC service at the second push, as the car will detect a drop in brake servo pressure.

jaapv said:
Actually putting the foot on the brake before the first "power" push can result in the error message demanding ACC service at the second push, as the car will detect a drop in brake servo pressure.

Really? We've had the car for close to two years, using it at least twice per day, almost every day, and never had any problems of that type. My standard routine really is get in, push brake, push power, drive off and put on seatbelt when the dings get too much for me.

maby said:
jaapv said:

Really? We've had the car for close to two years, using it at least twice per day, almost every day, and never had any problems of that type. My standard routine really is get in, push brake, push power, drive off and put on seatbelt when the dings get too much for me.

+1 except, while the atomic batteries are getting up to power and the turbines to speed, I use the time to put the seat belt on.

Why the common need to turn off the pedestrian warning sounder?

From inside the car i cant hear if it is on or off, even with the windows wound down!

I don't think I could live with the consequences if someone stepped out in front of the car because they couldn't hear it after I had turned the sounder off!

What would an insurance company say, or the police for that matter, if someone one was seriously hurt because you switched off a safety device!

Yes free choice and all that, but whats the actual point in turning it off?

Peter

jaapv said:

OK.

I'm genuinely confused here.

I've never been able to make the car go without putting my foot on the brake first, then pressing the button.

This is what the manual says:

Starting the Plug-in Hybrid EV System
1. Check that the EV charging cable is not connected to your vehicle.
2. Fasten the seat belt.
3. Make sure the parking brake is applied.
4. When you press the power switch while depressing the brake pedal with your right foot, the READY indicator in the meter blinks and the activation of Plug-in Hyblid EV System starts.
5. When the READY indicator changes from blinking to staying on, the startup of Plugin-Hyblid EV System is activated and the vehicle is now ready to drive.

[My emphasis and their typo in hyblid not mine]

As a separate issue, I could really do without the vehicle going into On mode from ACC mode, but that's the way it is designed unfortunately.

Andy

So my start routine is:

1. Get in
2. Seatbelt on
3. Press brake
4. Press power button
5. Select D (or R)
6. Release handbrake
7. Drive away.

Having spent 45 minutes standing on the tarmac while a mate pre-flighted his Cesna, I can say that the comparison to starting an aeroplane is ludicrous.

Unless of course you are from the:

"Kick-the-tyres light-the-fires last one in the air 's a sook" school of flying...

:)

g0rsq said:
Why the common need to turn off the pedestrian warning sounder?

From inside the car i cant hear if it is on or off, even with the windows wound down!

I don't think I could live with the consequences if someone stepped out in front of the car because they couldn't hear it after I had turned the sounder off!

What would an insurance company say, or the police for that matter, if someone one was seriously hurt because you switched off a safety device!

Yes free choice and all that, but whats the actual point in turning it off?

Peter

I can hear it within the car with all the doors and windows shut, I turn it off because:

1 - It distracts my driving, it sounds as if a wheel bearing is going / a stone is stuck in the calliper / or there is something wrong with the vehicle
2 - With it off I am superdooper aware of pedestrians
3 - It also disables at 22mph anyway, see point '2'
4 - With it off, pedestrians learn that they need to consider electric cars, many of which don't have this sound
5 - The Model S etc don't have these sounds
6 - It is not a legal requirement
7 - It doesn't make a noise when the vehicle is stationary so for those standing in front of the car it is a bit pointless
8 - The daytime running lights are a visual clue that the vehicle is on and running
9 - In a multi-story car park the headlights switch on
10 - With it on pedestrians step into the road anyway ...
11 - With it off pedestrians step into the road anyway ... (see point '2')
12 - Many other vehicles don't make a noise, bike, electric moped, etc why are pedestrians stepping into the road without looking?

Re point 6 from Solar Boy - Pedestrian Warning sounder.

Read in paper yesterday that as from next month EU Reulation No 540/2014 will come into effect. It requires electric and hybrid cars to make more noise, so they sound similar to those with ICE. Assume it will then become a legal requirement unless of course BREXIT means this will not be enacted!

Back