The PHEV'S cruise control or ACC.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trex

Hi folks,

I put this in another topic where it was probably not suitable so will start it here in a separate topic.

Trex said:
Hi,

I was speaking of motion control engineering in my previous post.

Well again in my opinion the Phev under cruise control or ACC and using regen , battery power input to electric motors etc has the best motion control engineering on any car I have driven.

Well done the Mitsubishi motion control engineers and programmers. :D

Regards Trex.

Now I have not driven every car that has ever been made but have driven quite a few from manufacturers such as Holden, Ford, Toyota, Subaru, BMW, Mercedes, Suzuki, Honda, Land Rovers and Mitsubishi (Pajero and Phev ).

Do you think the statements

Well again in my opinion the Phev under cruise control or ACC and using regen , battery power input to electric motors etc has the best motion control engineering on any car I have driven.

I made were true or is just my PHEV?

Now when I said best motion control engineering I mean the ability to keep set speed accurately. smoothness etc.

Regards Trex.

Ps I did not own all the cars from the manufacturers list I provided ( some were owned by other people ) but have driven them all on cruise control.

Trex said:
Hi folks,

I put this in another topic where it was probably not suitable so will start it here in a separate topic.

Trex said:
Hi,

I was speaking of motion control engineering in my previous post.

Regards Trex.

Now I have not driven every car that has ever been made but have driven quite a few from manufacturers such as Holden, Ford, Toyota, Subaru, BMW, Mercedes, Suzuki, Honda, Land Rovers and Mitsubishi (Pajero and Phev ).

Do you think the statements

I made were true or is just my PHEV?

Now when I said best motion control engineering I mean the ability to keep set speed accurately. smoothness etc.

Regards Trex.

Ps I did not own all the cars from the manufacturers list I provided ( some were owned by other people ) but have driven them all on cruise control.

Hey up Trex

I have driven many cars with standard cruise control, many without in my 35 years of driving. I have driven proper 4x4's, sports cars, luxury cars with cruise. This is the first car with Adaptive, although I run a company that teaches all about it.

I have to say, I was wary for the first couple of trips. Now I tend to rely on its greater ability to judge speed and distance than mine on longer trips. The transition between braking and EV/ICE seems effortless, and I have to say I don't think that I have ever noticed a transition (through the seat of my pants - I have to be watching the MMCS screen to see it).

So in conclusion, I think you are right. For now....

This is first generation stuff, so imagine what your great grandchildren will be saying when they are your age. The mind boggles, maybe someone will be raving about this "new idea" they have - a device that can actually use the unused oil deposits of the Earth to power a road going vehicle. Try that one on "Dragon's Interplanetary Den".

:)

Neverfuel said:
Hey up Trex

I have driven many cars with standard cruise control, many without in my 35 years of driving. I have driven proper 4x4's, sports cars, luxury cars with cruise. This is the first car with Adaptive, although I run a company that teaches all about it.

I have to say, I was wary for the first couple of trips. Now I tend to rely on its greater ability to judge speed and distance than mine on longer trips. The transition between braking and EV/ICE seems effortless, and I have to say I don't think that I have ever noticed a transition (through the seat of my pants - I have to be watching the MMCS screen to see it).

So in conclusion, I think you are right. For now....

This is first generation stuff, so imagine what your great grandchildren will be saying when they are your age. The mind boggles, maybe someone will be raving about this "new idea" they have - a device that can actually use the unused oil deposits of the Earth to power a road going vehicle. Try that one on "Dragon's Interplanetary Den".

:)

Hi Neverfuel,

Thanks for the reply. :)

Yes it certainly makes you wonder what is coming in the future but the Phev's CC and ACC I find pretty bloody good for now. :lol:

I do not think the great grandchildren will be steering cars (autopilot driven) but they will not know what they are missing out on. :cool:

But we will. ;)

Regards Trex.

No ACC for me, but the best cruise control I've driven is a Hyundai Santa fe. It is definitely smoother than anything else I've had.

One of the nicest CC I have had was a Citroen Picasso C4 but the PHEV is pretty good, although the chance to use cruise control has been limited to only three or four journeys so far in the car.

I too think Trex is not so much referring to the ability of the ACC system to judge distance and such but how well the CC is able to maintain the exact speed.

I have noticed this also and mentioned it a couple of times. I think it is not because Mitsu engineers are particular clever, but because the generator and battery together allow them to control the power output available for driving (total engine output - what is absorbed by the generator / battery). Controlling the output by means of manipulating the generator (pure electronically) is much faster than by playing with the throttle where you have to wait for the engine to respond.

When discussing the advantages of driving with a low SOC, I have mentioned this as a side effect. With a (near) full battery, the car needs to resort to old school methods (playing with the throttle) to maintain speed, as the battery will not accept a (large enough) charge current.

Below picture shows where engine output does not seem to change a bit with low SOC ()left hand side of the graph) but does change a lot with high SOC (right hand side of graph):

b_160628.jpg

westdevon said:
No ACC for me, but the best cruise control I've driven is a Hyundai Santa fe. It is definitely smoother than anything else I've had.

Hi westdevon,

Yes Hyundai are starting to make a name for themselves in Australia now with 5 year warranty, reliable and not bad looking cars.

Trying to talk my youngest son into buying a Hyundai i30 for the last couple of weeks.

Regards Trex.

jthspace said:
One of the nicest CC I have had was a Citroen Picasso C4 but the PHEV is pretty good, although the chance to use cruise control has been limited to only three or four journeys so far in the car.

Ah Citroen. :)

My father had a Citroen Ds when I was young and he loved it. Hydraulic self leveling suspension, power steering and power assisted brakes. All from the same hydraulic system. :eek: The first time he ever had those systems in a car before. :cool:

But in my opinion it was butt ugly. :lol:

Regards Trex.

anko said:
I too think Trex is not so much referring to the ability of the ACC system to judge distance and such but how well the CC is able to maintain the exact speed.

Yea I was talking about how good it keeps set speed and smoothness in doing so. Up or down hills.

It amazes me.

anko said:
I think it is not because Mitsu engineers are particular clever, but because the generator and battery together allow them to control the power output available for driving (total engine output - what is absorbed by the generator / battery). ]

Yes I know how they are doing it and they have systems that are available that non-hybrids cannot use but as a person (the only one in my company :lol: ) that has to do that designing and programming of motion control in my own business I think they did a good job.

But I bet they have a bigger team at Mitsubishi than just me at my engineering factory so they probably should do a good job at it. :lol:

Regards Trex.

Trex said:
Ah Citroen. :)

My father had a Citroen Ds when I was young and he loved it. Hydraulic self leveling suspension, power steering and power assisted brakes. All from the same hydraulic system. :eek: The first time he ever had those systems in a car before. :cool:

But in my opinion it was butt ugly. :lol:

Regards Trex.

"BUTT UGLY" :eek: - Sir you have no soul :lol:

Trex said:
Tipper said:
Yes it's good....but the infernal beeping when using ACC!!

:lol: Yes the beeping is annoying Tipper. :lol:

But I hardly notice it now.

I just turn the music up. :cool: :lol:

Regards Trex.

But then you can't hear Mrs Satnav! Or maybe that's because someone else is talking 'at' me... :lol:

Ive just ordered mine for delivery in Jan 2016 so was wondering if the adaptive cruise control / speed limiter function would dynamically take into account the road speed limit as displayed on the Nav screen?

Trex said:
westdevon said:

Hi westdevon,

Yes Hyundai are starting to make a name for themselves in Australia now with 5 year warranty, reliable and not bad looking cars.

Trying to talk my youngest son into buying a Hyundai i30 for the last couple of weeks.

Regards Trex.

I had 2 Santa fe s Trex, and I nearly bought a third, but the Outlander caught my imagination a bit. The cruise on the Santa is a little bit "softer" than the several others I've driven. In particular when resuming it doesnt accelerate as hard as others, including the Outlander. It gives a more relaxed feel. It's a very similar car to the Outlander, a tiny bit bigger, slightly more comfortable, but only 35 mpg, so no contest really!

I got good money for them when they went too, I hope I can say the same for the PHEV in 3 years time.

Vince31 said:
Ive just ordered mine for delivery in Jan 2016 so was wondering if the adaptive cruise control / speed limiter function would dynamically take into account the road speed limit as displayed on the Nav screen?

Unfortunately not, they are set by the driver.

Might be a bit late to add to this thread but anyway.
The ACC on the PHEV is brilliant but you do need to keep focused on what is going on around you. Relax your foot, not your brain!
For instance when passing through sections of reduced speed, eg roadworks or small town it is best to not rely on the guy in front of you, hit the cancel button and become fully engaged in the driving again then when the speed limit returns to the original just hit resume and off you go. I had a situation where I just let the ACC slow the car by using the car ahead but then it turned off the road and as the ACC saw an empty road ahead it leapt forward aggressively trying to get to the set speed.
Another time but with the opposite effect. Cruising at highway speed, ACC watching the traffic ahead, when suddenly the car braked for a moment then corrected itself and accelerated back to the set point. What had happened was that there was a slip road off to the right and a slight bend in the main road to the left and as the car in front of me peeled off into the slip road and slowed the ACC did not see that he was no longer in the lane ahead and responded by braking. In the meantime I had steered the car to follow the dog leg to the left and then the ACC corrected by aggressively accelerating back up to the set speed. I hate to think what the guy behind me said!
So yeah, ACC is great but keep your wits about you.

Neverfuel said:
Vince31 said:

Unfortunately not, they are set by the driver.
Which is probably a good idea. Max speeds change sometimes, there are temporary max speeds, etc. The system cannot be relied on 100 %.

I agree that the normal cruise control is excellent at maintaining the set speed and therefore I prefer to use it over adaptive. The ACC has the annoying deceleration surge when it comes up against a slower vehicle that, even when set on 1 chevron, seems miles ahead. However, ACC does have its place and I use it when in heavier traffic to maintain the distance to the vehicle in front rather than the speed. Each to his/her own though.

Back