Thud/engaging sound from standstill when pressing accelerator

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Am786

Just curious, this seems to either have got louder or just started noticing it:

When I am at standstill and I press the accelerator there seems to be like a thud or something engaging from the rear.

If I let go of the accelerator and then am slowly moving then it may come again if I press the accelerator but not always.

While I'm moving faster e.g. 10mph and accelerate then there are no thuds or engaging noise.

There are no issues with driving and no warning lights.

I'm thinking:
- battery movement?
- first gear?
- rear axle?

Next time I'm driving I'll video the sound.

Just curious, this seems to either have got louder or just started noticing it:

When I am at standstill and I press the accelerator there seems to be like a thud or something engaging from the rear.

If I let go of the accelerator and then am slowly moving then it may come again if I press the accelerator but not always.

While I'm moving faster e.g. 10mph and accelerate then there are no thuds or engaging noise.

There are no issues with driving and no warning lights.

I'm thinking:
- battery movement?
- first gear?
- rear axle?

Next time I'm driving I'll video the sound.
See link:

Sounds like your rear motor mount rubber (bush) has worn out. A common fault even with low mileage due to a sub-standard original £90 Mitsubishi part.

I unsuccessfully tried to have my motor mount replaced under the Mitsubishi warranty but got nowhere. Yet they were happy to replace my £1000 rocking driver seat.

The Mitsubishi technician I spoke with advised me not to buy the Mitsubishi motor mount part but instead to buy the Powerflex motor mount from a third party motorsport dealer.

I was confused at first but after some research it makes perfect sense. No more thud, instant torque and a more direct feeling when accelerating and braking.

Slightly more expensive. It was worth the extra £30 in my opinion especially if it’s going to last longer than original.

Attachments

• IMG_4838.jpeg
    IMG_4838.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8677.png
    IMG_8677.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
Sounds like your rear motor mount rubber (bush) has worn out. A common fault even with low mileage due to a sub-standard original £90 Mitsubishi part.

I unsuccessfully tried to have my motor mount replaced under the Mitsubishi warranty but got nowhere. Yet they were happy to replace my £1000 rocking driver seat.

The Mitsubishi technician I spoke with advised me not to buy the Mitsubishi motor mount part but instead to buy the Powerflex motor mount from a third party motorsport dealer.

I was confused at first but after some research it makes perfect sense. No more thud, instant torque and a more direct feeling when accelerating and braking.

Slightly more expensive. It was worth the extra £30 in my opinion especially if it’s going to last longer than original.

I just saw this response after I also replaced my mount with the power flex and I agree, what a difference!

The car feels brand new!

IMG_20240331_104323063.jpg

IMG_20240331_022318615.jpg

Definitely use a jack for support that way you can align the bolt holes a lot easier through small movements.

I also found it easier to put in the long shaft bolt first then align the three shorter bolts with the jack but I've read others found it easier the other way round.

Recommend purchasing from the official distributor

https://www.powerflexsuspensionbush...30-for-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-120483-p.asp

Yes I can’t recommend highly enough.

I can see why my local Mitsubishi dealer recommended it over the factory part.

Back