Toyo tyres - aquaplane resistence?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverfuel

Whilst cleaning the car I noticed that the Toyo tyres do not have full grooves to clear water between the longitudinal channels. This is possibly to reduce road noise but has anybody had any experience as to how the tyres handle at speed through surface water (e.g. On a motorway) with regard to shedding water / aquaplaning?

Mine always seem to be quite sure-footed.

I had a Land rover discovery 2B as a company car 10 years ago and that was terrifying in the wet!

I think they are rubbish, at least to the Hakka Blue I have on my other car. The just want to go straight ahead on *humid* roads.

I don't think they are particularly quiet either, but it's hard to tell as the rest of the car is rather quiet, at least compared to my freelander .

I'm considering to replace them...

Strangely enough I have found the Toyo tyres pretty sure footed driving through standing water at motorway speeds. It's a reasonably heavy vehicle and the tyres are not overly wide which is a good combination. So I think the Toyos are OK as long as ( like any tyre ) they're not too worn. Where I think the Toyos do fall down is they seem to use a very hard rubber compound, I guess to reduce rolling resistance and keep the mpg high. However the consequence of this is Toyo grip isn't so good in the cold, so I put some decent winter tyres on at the end of Autumn.

Cheers Paul

I've found them reasonable if a bit soft feeling sidewalks when leaning in them in the corners. They,ve lasted 24k miles so backs up that the compound is hard.

Ready for changing now at the front as whilst some tread left in the middle the shoulders are down below 1.6mm and the handling is noticeably less grippy. I would like to try something that would be a but sharper than the toyos

Does anyone have any recommendations for summer tyres?

Back