Toyo tyres & Arval............

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumpmonkey

Hi,

Hoping I can get some advice regarding a contract hire PHEV and replacement tyres! Had a TPMS message on the way home from work, managed to nurse it onto my driveway and found a big junk of metal in 1 tyre, overnight went completely flat.

Rang Arval who did the contract for the car, they put me onto ATS. I explained to them that the recommendation is to fit Toyo tyres due to the possibility of glitches with the TPMS. They acknowledged this and I had to wait 36hrs for them to order in and come out to fit it. Guy turned up today with a Continental "cos they didn't have any Toyo's in". Since it's a company car and I needed to get back on the road I didn't argue, however did ring ATS to question it. They claimed that Arval put a limit on what tyres they can fit! This annoyed me, so I rang the local Mitsubishi dealer to confirm that they had personally seen issues with not fitting Toyo brand tyres. Then rang Arval, and eventually spoke to someone who came out with the phrase "I don't dispute what Mitsubishi are saying, but Arval are satisfied with the tyre that's been fitted".

I tried to explain that I didn't want the TPMS flagging up an issue when I'm flying down the motorway with 2 kids on the back seat, but she just said as soon as there's a problem please ring Arval and they'll sort it!

I'm tempted to pick up a nail in the side wall of the new tyre, but then how do I go about getting a Toyo replacement?? As a 2nd best choice is there any benefit to getting the other tyres changed over to Continentals so they all match, or will this make the potential for glitches even higher?

Ironic that not having to pay for tyres is causing me issues in getting tyres....... :evil:

Andy

If they have fitted tyres with same dimension and outer diameter it will all work well. Looks like you have some serious issues in UK with Mitsu saying you need to have same tyres on all wheels on the car and cannot advice on winter tyres. In Scandinavia that would make the car illegal to drive in winter as wintertyres are mandatory. Also note that TPMS only warns of wrong preassure in the tyre, NOTHING else. I drive with new wintertyres now without TPMS installed and that works perfectly, apart from the annoying warning from the car that TPMS needs to be "fixed".

Clearly there is some Japanese mentality in all aspects of the car, way too protective. But maybe that is what you should expect from the country which have developed automatic ass-cleaning toilets.

Hi,

Of course any decent quality tyre of the correct size will be OK, my main concern is differentiating between a false TPMS alarm and a genuine problem. I think I'd rather be able to turn the TPMS off than have it working unreliably, especially when it can't tell me which wheel is supposed to have the problem. Having said that, I have had a couple of false alarms before even when all tyres were Toyo.......When this puncture occurred my first thought was yet another false alarm!

I did read on this forum that other people had found issues with traction control & EV system faults from mismatched tyres, but my local Mitsubishi garage didn't know about any of those.

Weird,

I needed two tyres and I was happy to have a different brand (the Toyo's are not good in the wet IMO) but when Kwikfit (the designated supplier) rang the lease company (LEX) for authority they insisted Kwikfit only fit original Toyo's so I had to wait until they came in. Some sort of note on their files that PHEV's had to have them.

Apart from technical issues, I wonder if these tyres are specified to keep the car at its rated emission rating if they are lower rolling resistance types.

I wonder if the specific Toyo fitted (R37 I think - I notice currently listed at £100.30 from mytyres.co.uk - although take that with a pinch of salt 'cos they don't always have what they say they have) has anything to do with the extra weight of the batteries? Imagine an extra ???kg (I don't know the weight) of battery, a car load of fatties, their luggage and probably a morbidly obese dog or two as well. Are all tyre brands of the correct size designed to cope with the additional ???kg weight of the batteries?

Another thing, I've often wondered about 'rolling radius' when a worn tyre on one side, if damaged beyond repair, is replaced by a new one, then surely the equally worn one remaining on the undamaged side has a smaller rolling radius than the new one. So one side is slightly bigger than the other. This possibility, I've read, can also occur if one brand of tyre is on one side and another brand on the other. Even though the sizes are listed as being identical they're not always precisely identical. Presumably the car's drivetrain can somehow compensate for this inaccuracy? Hmm. :?

NightPHEVer said:
I wonder if the specific Toyo fitted (R37 I think - I notice currently listed at £100.30 from mytyres.co.uk - although take that with a pinch of salt 'cos they don't always have what they say they have) has anything to do with the extra weight of the batteries? Imagine an extra ???kg (I don't know the weight) of battery, a car load of fatties, their luggage and probably a morbidly obese dog or two as well. Are all tyre brands of the correct size designed to cope with the additional ???kg weight of the batteries?

Another thing, I've often wondered about 'rolling radius' when a worn tyre on one side, if damaged beyond repair, is replaced by a new one, then surely the equally worn one remaining on the undamaged side has a smaller rolling radius than the new one. So one side is slightly bigger than the other. This possibility, I've read, can also occur if one brand of tyre is on one side and another brand on the other. Even though the sizes are listed as being identical they're not always precisely identical. Presumably the car's drivetrain can somehow compensate for this inaccuracy? Hmm. :?

This is exactly what the differential in the transmission is for and works perfectly.

Just had a similar experience with my car.

22K miles and the fronts are at the 2mm wear indicator, so I phone my lease company (servicing and Tyres included). Not a problem they will inform Kwik Fit to call me and arrange a time......
30 mins later a guy calls from Kwik Fit mobile Unit
KF "What's the size..... OK, what make have you got on I hope it's not Toyo?"
Me "yes they are Toyo"
KF "Then that's a problem, we can't get Toyo's in that size till the end of November (2 months)"
Me "What do I do then"
KF "Call your lease company and tell them the situation"

So I did

LC "Can you hold out till then (2 months)"
Me "No"
LC "But our policy is to have the same brand /make of tyre on all four wheels"
Me "So you want me to drive my car while not road legal, to wait for some tyres"
LC silence
Me "You have two choices, get me a road legal car till the tyres can be changed or you change the front tyres......."
LC "Let me speak to my supervisor.........."
5 mins later
LC "how many miles has the car done?"
Me "22000"
LC "OK"
5 mins later
LC "We have authorised Kwik Fit to change all four tyres to a brand that is available"
Me "What a complete waste of money and not very environmentally friendly to change a set of tyres unnecessarily half way through their life?"

So to cut a long story short next day I had 4 brand new Continentals fitted. They seem to be so far, just as good as the Toyo's they took off.

Kwik Fit Guy told me it happens a lot! and the Toyo's were very hard to get hold of.

That's interesting, so I need to make sure the Toyo's are out of stock before I next put in for tyres so I can get Contis which I would prefer..

Surprised you only got 22K out your fronts, mine went into the 30's and still had well over 2mm left but the side corners started showing bare threads!

lumpmonkey said:
Hi,

Of course any decent quality tyre of the correct size will be OK, my main concern is differentiating between a false TPMS alarm and a genuine problem. I think I'd rather be able to turn the TPMS off than have it working unreliably, especially when it can't tell me which wheel is supposed to have the problem. Having said that, I have had a couple of false alarms before even when all tyres were Toyo.......When this puncture occurred my first thought was yet another false alarm!

I did read on this forum that other people had found issues with traction control & EV system faults from mismatched tyres, but my local Mitsubishi garage didn't know about any of those.

You shouldn't get any false TPMS warnings as they only monitor tyre pressure. However, on a 4wd car you should have matching tyres on the same axle, inc. wear. Thus a puncture in a worn tyre means 2 new ones - and those should go on the back!

Back