Transmission

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarq

DAK, what type of transmission the ICE in the PHEV has?

(This is my hubbie asking, as I don't know or care! :lol: )

All I want to do is drive it. 9 days to go.

tarq said:
DAK, what type of transmission the ICE in the PHEV has?

(This is my hubbie asking, as I don't know or care! :lol: )

All I want to do is drive it. 9 days to go.
The ICE has a single speed transmission to drive the wheels which will usually operate once you go faster than 40mph/64kmh. However, the ICE can also power an electical generator and the electricity from this can drive all four wheels.

Its a little complicated to explain, you can just tell him it is fully automatic and not to worry about it :)
Kind regards,
Mark

jaapv said:
Very simple - no transmission. Just a clutch for engaging/disengaging direct drive.

Not strictly true - it's far closer to the transmission on a diesel electric train - engine drives a generator that produces electricity which is then used to drive the electric motors. At the higher end of the speed range a clutch also allows a direct engagement between the engine and the front wheels.

It's the electric transmission that is one of the most attractive features for me - clutches and gearboxes have been the bane of my driving life! When we started looking for a new car, we looked at automatics and were dismayed to find that the majority of them are just servo operated manual transmissions these days. Not many traditional automatic gear boxes with torque converters any more.

That is 100% correct. However, I don't think that was the type of transmission meant in the original question. :D

Back