Truble at Mill!!.......Windows and Nokia?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharky

I have been informed that the company I work for, will be exchanging all the work mobiles for Nokia Windows phones. Having been a happy Samsung Android user for some time I am more than disappointed with this turn of events. This is not a debate about what is the best phone etc.... Just a simple question. Will the windows phone work with the PHEV? I have had a look around the web with conflicting reports on android apps on windows phones. I assume the Blue tooth will still work for simple calls, but to loose the ability to use the app would be annoying to say the least. Has anybody got the Windows phone and a PHEV?

i know this isnt answering the question, but to give you piece of mind, you could get yourself a dirt cheap PAYG android running kitkat for £19 (new), maybe less, and that would also save the jumping from one wifi network to the other! you don't need to add any credit, just use the wifi. http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/lg-l20/ppay?colourCode=WHITEPINK&intcmp=PAYG_LGL20_39.95_020914

I have a Nokia 920 the phone is very tough and that's where it ends windows on a phone is rubbish, no apps well none you would want to install. There is no phev app I use a android tablet. Oh and importing phone contacts forget it, the windows phone software is unuser friendly and the 920 locks up constantly by far the worst phone and software ever, and iam talking 8.1.

aitchjaybee said:
i know this isn't answering the question, but to give you piece of mind, you could get yourself a dirt cheap PAYG android running kitkat for £19 (new), maybe less, and that would also save the jumping from one wifi network to the other! you don't need to add any credit, just use the wifi. http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/lg-l20/ppay?colourCode=WHITEPINK&intcmp=PAYG_LGL20_39.95_020914

Thanks for that, if I'm forced to give up my phone (Samsung 4s) I will go down that route. More gutted I won't be able to carry on with my "Clash of the Clans" that I have spent some considerable time building up :|

Are you forced to have a company phone, or are they just saying that all company phones will be these Nokias?

I'm eligible for a company phone, but I don't like the choices or the idea that the company can see my private usage. I don't want to carry two phones, so I simply don't take up the company phone. There are so many good offers around these days - I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 4GB of data for £35 per month - with such generous allowances, I'm perfectly happy to use it for company business.

I tried out my Nokia Lumia 930 (Win Phone 8.1) with the GX3h I was test driving. It paired easily with the car via BlueTooth and to my delight, I could stream Spotify through the car and control skipping/playback etc with the car's standard steering-wheel mounted buttons. One thing of note - after I first paired it, I couldn't get any sound (even though Spotify said it was playing). After a bit of faffing, it turns out that you need to turn the car volume up a fair bit. For some reason, the 3h's volume graduations are quite small so you have to hold volume up for an unintuitively long time to get it where you want.

I have to say, I'm very happy with the Windows Phone OS (coming from an iPhone). Apps are lacking on the Windows phone in some cases (although all the common ones are covered). None more so than the PHEV one but like someone else suggested above, I'd probably use a cheap dedicated Android phone/tablet for just talking to the car (4h) for charging/heater purposes - makes the wifi config easier too, you can just set that device to the car's wifi always.

I don't have a car myself (yet) but as a professional (Windows!) developer, I'd definitely be inclined to do a bit of tinkering to see if I could create my own app :)

I have a Lumia 820 and the Bluetooth connection is perfect. I can use voice control to make and receive calls, the car reads out texts to me, although I have not managed to work out how to reply. It is true that the PHEV app will not work, but who cares? It's pretty useless to me anyway as the wifi will not make it from my garage to my house (car is housed in the old milking parlour, house has stone walls, but then that's rural life).

The car reads your texts via Bluetooth? I used to have that in the BMW, but haven't seen it in the PHEV. I have a decent Bluetooth connection with my Blackberry......how do access phone messages from the MMCS?

DrSlackBladder said:
The car reads your texts via Bluetooth? I used to have that in the BMW, but haven't seen it in the PHEV. I have a decent Bluetooth connection with my Blackberry......how do access phone messages from the MMCS?

There was a short thread on here a few months ago talking about this. The OP recommended something called "SMS, My Car and Me" which he claimed worked well on the Outlander. I did try installing it, but could not get it to work and didn't have time to pursue it.

DrSlackBladder said:
Took me by surprise the first time it happens. I believe it is a Windows phone thing, part of Driving mode.
[off topic]
Sorry all you Apple/Android fans, contrary to what you are being told, Windows Phone is actually quite good. As to the lack of apps, be honest about what you miss, and how important the missing apps are to you
[/off topic]

turpin1548 said:
DrSlackBladder said:
Took me by surprise the first time it happens. I believe it is a Windows phone thing, part of Driving mode.
[off topic]
Sorry all you Apple/Android fans, contrary to what you are being told, Windows Phone is actually quite good. As to the lack of apps, be honest about what you miss, and how important the missing apps are to you
[/off topic]

I use Android, but I am actually very much in favour of Windows Phone - the problem is the lack of hardware and software support for it. I used Windows Mobile based smartphones for many years, but they just faded away, I'm afraid.

Back