UK - No Toyo Tyres!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveRollo

Afternoon folks

Had the PHEV coming up to 12 months now and works very well.

However, I have a nail in the rear tyre and been advised it is too close to the edge to fix. My local dealership have been hunting around for a replacement tyre and can't locate one!

Toyo 225/55R18 R37AV

The issue is the specific tyre works with the tyre pressure sensors and I really don't want to put another brand on if it will not work with the sensors and potentially invalidate the warranty.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have Mitsubishi TPMS sensors on Vredestein Winter Tyres - worked fine. My understanding is that the TPMS sensors are not tyre specific!

After much phoning around I have managed to source one.

I thought the garage were pulling our chain re the sensors, they'll be on the rims, not the rubber.

I presume you could not mix 2 different brand tyres on the same axle? So if you couldn't source a Toyo replacement you would need to buy 2 new tyres?

Any views?

The whole tyre issue is shocking, I don't believe its technically or ecologically (saving weight) necessary not to fit a spare (at least a spacesaver) but its done to increase profit for the manufacturer and that is all.

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-industry-news/2015/09/16/lack-of-spare-wheel-leaves-62-000-fleet-drivers-stranded-in-2014

"Only a quarter of manufactures provide the smaller space-saving tyre and around half simply put a puncture repair kit in the boot of new cars."

On a car like the PHEV that has no issues with a trivial (official at least) CO2 on the current test even though it weighs a lot it would make no difference, and there would be room for one under the back like on the previous Outlander (look behind the bumper). It should at least be an option, would happily tick the £100 option box for one.

TRT said:
I presume you could not mix 2 different brand tyres on the same axle? So if you couldn't source a Toyo replacement you would need to buy 2 new tyres?

Any views?
That would create problems with the TPMS and would be illegal in some countries. On the PHEV it is even a bad idea to mix tyre types/brands between front and back.

jaapv said:
TRT said:

Any views?
That would create problems with the TPMS and would be illegal in some countries. On the PHEV it is even a bad idea to mix tyre types/brands between front and back.

I'm not sure why changing tyres would affect the TPMS after all it is a pressure monitoring system and not a rotation speed/change in diameter method as used by BMW in some markets.

It will however affect the ABS stability control as a difference in tyre diameter will change rotation speed in comparison with the other wheels as measured by the ABS system and could confuse the system. There is however a way to correct/adjust after a new tyre has been fitted in one of the car settings but I can't remember where to find it now!

Hi

As both the owner of a PHEV & a garage i have supplied Toyo R37 to customers & sadly to myself never had an issue with supply

David

(glasgow)

Ozukus said:
Black Circle, who advertise on the radio (TalkSport, is there any other channel), do TOYO tyres.
Just had a look on their website and they're offering everything but Toyo for the PHEV.

Plenty on e-bay - admittedly part-used but ideal if you want to replace just one and need a close match to existing wear on the other 3.

Hi everyone,
having just gone through the 13 month and 49,000 mile barrier with my PHEV it came time for new front rubber, rears are still at 5mm.
Went to ATS they fitted a pair of Continental very nice tread pattern cross over tyres.
then the problems started..., now I see the common problem of not fitting TOYO R37's as they have a different rolling radius to other tyres with same size codes.
This caused a lot of warning messages and very unhealthy hot electrical smells, even a bit of blue smoke...
overview is that after two days only able to do local miles during a weekend I had to drive 60 miles to another dealer to get the Contis replaced by Toyo R37's at a cost of £366 for the pair.
Then after all this I was told I could have replaced with any tyres that were right for the rims as long as they all matched up, so could have just had two more contis fitted to the back and all would have been ok.
Just a little explanation in the manual by Mitsubishi would save a lot of hassle for the drivers who are now getting to the point of needing to replace.
Key factor in the PHEV tyre saga is wear out all 4 tyres evenly by rotating front to back than get complete set 4 tyres of your choice...

MKDirector said:
Hi everyone,
having just gone through the 13 month and 49,000 mile barrier with my PHEV it came time for new front rubber, rears are still at 5mm.
Went to ATS they fitted a pair of Continental very nice tread pattern cross over tyres.
then the problems started..., now I see the common problem of not fitting TOYO R37's as they have a different rolling radius to other tyres with same size codes.
This caused a lot of warning messages and very unhealthy hot electrical smells, even a bit of blue smoke...
overview is that after two days only able to do local miles during a weekend I had to drive 60 miles to another dealer to get the Contis replaced by Toyo R37's at a cost of £366 for the pair.
Then after all this I was told I could have replaced with any tyres that were right for the rims as long as they all matched up, so could have just had two more contis fitted to the back and all would have been ok.
Just a little explanation in the manual by Mitsubishi would save a lot of hassle for the drivers who are now getting to the point of needing to replace.
Key factor in the PHEV tyre saga is wear out all 4 tyres evenly by rotating front to back than get complete set 4 tyres of your choice...

20 minute job when you have a spare wheel, bit difficult if you don't! Unless you have a friendly garage who can do it for free, of course!

www.mytyres.co.uk show the Toyo R37 and others in stock. Is it the R37 that's the original?

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?PoD=110__R-235739__X

Back