Use of an extension cable when charging

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astede

I'm just about to take delivery of my PHEV. I'll get a fast-charge point installed hopefully soon, but when I'm charging from a domestic 13 amp socket, either at home or if I'm visiting friends say, who may not have a conveniently close 13 amp plug socket, can I use a suitably-rated (i.e. full 13 amp) heavy-duty extension cable? Is it safe? Is the answer different if it's rainy? I've seen what appear to be pictures of extension cables in use in the Netherlands but I've also seen people like Source London saying you should never use an extension cable. Would welcome people's comments.

I see no reason why not as long as it is rated at 13amps and ideally is weatherproof. Weatherproof extension reels can be bought , or you can buy weatherproof boxes to house extension leads. Apart from the rain issue, I think the other concern comes with people either using underrated extensions or not unreeling them fully which can cause overheating.

As long as you secure your cable properly against tripping or being driven over, otherwise the local Officer Plod might object.

kabel.jpg

If using an extension on a reel, be sure to fully unwind it to avoid overheating it....

Look at this question logically - there will be multiple yards of cable between your fuse panel and the socket that you plug into and further hundreds of yards of cable between your house and the local electricity sub-station - where is the difference between them and an adequately specified extension cable? The charger will draw about 10 amps - make sure that your cable is rated for that or higher. As already stated, make sure it is unwound - it will dissipate some heat and that will be blocked if it is coiled up tightly. 13 amp plugs and sockets are not designed for use in damp environments so take suitable precautions.

Yes there are multiple yards of cable between your consumer unit and the sockets that you use but these are designed to take into consideration volts drop caused by the resistance of the cable.
Whilst the extension lead is rated at 13amps asking a lead of the length shown in the picture to draw 12kw over a 5 hour period would be asking a bit much, I would suggest it is a 1.5mm cable which is more than capable of carrying the 10amp load of the charger but something of that length would require a 2.5mm cable if not 4mm to over come the problem of volts drop.
I wouldn't be too happy to think that this extension is in use on a permanent bases as the health and safety man would have a blue fit!!
In the mean time make sure you have adequate insurance to cover you against Joe public receiving an electric shock due to damage to the cable.

I have this one in the car and use a few times no drama, including in a horrendous rain shower I missed! http://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-heavy-duty-extension-lead-rcd-1g-240v-15m/98422 also at B&Q and others. I've seen others on amazon too.
Each time though, I've been on a private drive so haven't had to worry about trip hazards / being sued!

It has a trip RCD built in and fits in the second cubby hole under the boot floor easily.

aitchjaybee said:
I have this one in the car and use a few times no drama, including in a horrendous rain shower I missed! http://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-heavy-duty-extension-lead-rcd-1g-240v-15m/98422 also at B&Q and others. I've seen others on amazon too.
Each time though, I've been on a private drive so haven't had to worry about trip hazards / being sued!

It has a trip RCD built in and fits in the second cubby hole under the boot floor easily.

I've got this one too. I've used it in rain, hail and shine and it's never batted an eye lid.

I used 20 meter 10 Amp extension lead so many times, no problems, no heating up of plugs/sockets or any other part even in 30+ degrees ambient temperature :D

Back