Using the app to change vehicle settings - bug?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 258

Hi,

I noticed it previously, but just noticed it again, that I can't change vehicle settings from the app. For example, changing the time the lights remain on after locking up or the action of the folding mirrors.

The app allows me to select the alteration and sends the change but then displays the previous setting. The only way I can actually change these things is via the MMCS.

Kind regards,
Mark

I reported this bug to mmc CS in November - was aknowledged but no further communication.
They don't seem to be very responsive to APP bug reports.

Is it not possible to use the app remotely instead of having to be beside the car, or use the timer? I'd like to be able to turn the heating on when I am on the train and 15 minutes away from the car.

SMB said:
Is it not possible to use the app remotely instead of having to be beside the car, or use the timer? I'd like to be able to turn the heating on when I am on the train and 15 minutes away from the car.

No easy solution to this, I'm afraid. You would need the car to either have 3G enabled internally (it doesn't), or set up some kind of 3G interface via a cheap phone or interface module. The latter has been discussed, but I don't think anyone has made it work yet. The nature of the mobile internet network makes it a non-trivial exercise.

maby said:
SMB said:

No easy solution to this, I'm afraid. You would need the car to either have 3G enabled internally (it doesn't), or set up some kind of 3G interface via a cheap phone or interface module. The latter has been discussed, but I don't think anyone has made it work yet. The nature of the mobile internet network makes it a non-trivial exercise.

One guy here in Norway has made an App that can remote control a mobile phone placed inside the car. The phone inside the car must be connected to the internal wifi. The brilliance whith this solution is that the preheat can be turned on from anywhere.
There is built in some safetyfunctions like predefined phonenunbers etc.
The app is currently being tested and works fine but it is still some work to be done on the userframe.

Snowball said:
One guy here in Norway has made an App that can remote control a mobile phone placed inside the car. The phone inside the car must be connected to the internal wifi. The brilliance whith this solution is that the preheat can be turned on from anywhere.
The app is currently being tested and works fine but it is still some work to be done on the userframe.

It will be interesting to see how that works. Standard mobile phone sims do not give you a public IP address which means that they cannot accept incoming connections. I've been working part time on a relevant project to support automation on our boat and looking at setting up an intermediate server that the device in the boat polls periodically to detect if anyone is trying to talk to it - then opens up a socket to the server running as a proxy so that the traffic can get through. If someone has already cracked it, I would be interested to see how they have done it.

maby said:
Snowball said:

It will be interesting to see how that works. Standard mobile phone sims do not give you a public IP address which means that they cannot accept incoming connections. I've been working part time on a relevant project to support automation on our boat and looking at setting up an intermediate server that the device in the boat polls periodically to detect if anyone is trying to talk to it - then opens up a socket to the server running as a proxy so that the traffic can get through. If someone has already cracked it, I would be interested to see how they have done it.

If Im not totally mistaking I think the system is based on sms control, this means that public
IP is not needed. The car phone will also report back via sms if an error occurs.
There are a couple of guys up here interessted in this and we will buy the app to a price that covers a new phone for the developer.
Other than that I think he will give it away for free.

Snowball said:

If Im not totally mistaking I think the system is based on sms control, this means that public
IP is not needed. The car phone will also report back via sms if an error occurs.
There are a couple of guys up here interessted in this and we will buy the app to a price that covers a new phone for the developer.

Ah, ok - that would be feasible - reasonably easy to set up with Tasker though as far as I know, Mitsubishi have not published the protocol between the phone and the car, so there must be some hackery involved - will be interesting to see...

maby said:
Snowball said:

Ah, ok - that would be feasible - reasonably easy to set up with Tasker though as far as I know, Mitsubishi have not published the protocol between the phone and the car, so there must be some hackery involved - will be interesting to see...

Only need to figure out how the original Mitsu app works and then write some code between the sms and the mitsu app.
I'll keep you posted. :D

I am a total layman in Android,but I think that you need to record the cursor locations on the Phone in the car, not try to access the car directly. As I am naturally lazy, I did a google translate of the relevant post of the Dutch Forum. By Tadango.

My design for the SMS control:

You have as first Android phone is needed for the car with a prepaid SIM card (so you can receive SMSs). Also, the wifi connection to work on the phone. Additionally, the phone in the car must be rooted. With rooting you get full access to the phone what you do not default. This is necessary to simulate the touching of the screen. It is also useful if your phone is as clean as possible and turn off what you do not use. This can reduce the battery consumption allowing him to stay longer standby. I also turned off mobile internet, wifi and bluetooth off to save power. Wifi off? Yes, I put on only when needed. Then install the following applications:
- Outlander PHEV remote control (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inventec.iMobile)
- Tasker (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm)
- Secure settings (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin)

Next, you need to enable a number of things on the phone to the car via the developer mode. Please go to Settings and "About phone". Then tap a few times on "Build number" until you get the message that the developer mode. Now go back one menu and to "Developer options". Turn it option Cursor Location 'so we get coordinates of items on the screen. This gonna use later. then remove all the protections of the phone so you do not get another code or unlock screen, set the screen timeout to 2 minutes.

Connect to the car via the Outlander PHEV app and make sure it works as intended. The phone is now ready to be programmed via Tasker. Tasker will automate the use of the Outlander app. An automated action has roughly three steps:
- App startup and connect
- Perform action
- App close

Since the 1st and 3rd step for all actions is the same, we are going to build this first time in Tasker so we can use it more often. Within tasker have profiles and tasks. A profile is activated by an event such as receiving an SMS or connecting a USB cable and a task is a set of actions. Let's first create a job starting the PHEV app.
- Start tasker and go to the 'Tasks' tab.
- Click + to add a new task. Name it 'Start PHEV App.
- Click + to add a new action.
- Add -> Plugin -> Secure settings. Select at configuration for the pencil and then Actions -> Wake Device
- Add -> Mesh -> Wifi. set ON
- Add -> Devices -> Launch App. Choose the PHEV App
- Add -> Task -> Wait. Seconds = 30

The first task is now complete. This task sets the phone (is necessary because otherwise the PHEV app does not start well for me), turn WiFi on and start the PHEV app. He then wait 15 seconds so that the application can start before we go further. At the next task we will close the application. For this we must press the OK button on the application. We need to know where is the button on the screen. This is for any size screen otherwise. To find the right location, we have turned the 'Cursor Location option. Every touch on the screen shows the top coordinates. Start the PHEV app and closing it off afterwards. Press the OK button and remembers the x and y coordinates. These we need in the next step.

Go back to the 'Tasks' tab.
- Click + to add a new task. Name it 'Close PHEV App.
- Add -> Input -> Button. Select Backup from the list
- Add -> Task -> Wait -> = 2 Seconds
- Add -> Task -> Script (or code) -> Run Shell. Command = "tap input xy" (without quotes!), Check root option. X and Y are the coordinates of the OK button on the screen.
- Add -> Task -> Wait -> Seconds = 5
- Add -> Mesh -> Wifi. set Off
- Add -> Devices -> Kill App. Choose the PHEV App

We now have a task that covers the PHEV app, turn off wifi and then cleans up the PHEV app if something gone wrong with the connection or close. As a result, we know that a command starts clean. The command input tap xy will tap that spot on the screen to choose the OK button with this. This is the basis for every action we make available via SMS.

The main reason that people are looking at this solution is turning on the AC. This option we try to build a profile. This profile is going to react to an incoming SMS with the text "AC". For this, we need to know the location where the AC button is. Start PHEV app and press the AC button and memorizes the coordinates. Now connect the PHEV app and start Tasker. Now go to the "PROFILES" tab.
- Click + to add a new profile. Choose Event -> Phone -> Received Text. Content = AC. Then click the back button to get to the next screen.
- Select 'New Task'. A name is not necessary.
- Add -> Task -> Perform Task. Use the zoekglasje and choose 'Start PHEV App'
- Add -> Task -> Script (or code) -> Run Shell. Command = "tap input xy" (without quotes!), Check root option. X and Y are the coordinates of the AC button on the screen.
- Add -> Task -> Wait -> = 20 Seconds
- Add -> Task -> Perform Task. Use the zoekglasje and choose Close PHEV App '

When a task test (Play button) or run in Tasker will be asked to access Root. This should allow you permanently so that Tasker retain root access. You can now test the jobs using tasker (Play button in the tasks) or by sending an SMS. If your phone you will have to start seeing the PHEV app. Does not run anything all steps one by one along and check for each line.

A lot of these style posts seem to be related to spending money or time in order to reduce a bit of human effort or squeeze out a possible half mile of EV every now and again.

It's a car, just walk to it, get in, turn it on, drive it away and enjoy it.

Just don't forget to disconnect your power cable first :lol:

Ozukus said:
A lot of these style posts seem to be related to spending money or time in order to reduce a bit of human effort or squeeze out a possible half mile of EV every now and again.

It's a car, just walk to it, get in, turn it on, drive it away and enjoy it.

Just don't forget to disconnect your power cable first :lol:

If you get in and it won't engage "Ready" - check if you have left the cable connected - if it is the car won't let you drive away!!!

avensys said:
Hi,

I noticed it previously, but just noticed it again, that I can't change vehicle settings from the app. For example, changing the time the lights remain on after locking up or the action of the folding mirrors.

The app allows me to select the alteration and sends the change but then displays the previous setting. The only way I can actually change these things is via the MMCS.

Kind regards,
Mark

I think I just found the answer to your problem - it is here on this page - http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/products/outlander_phev/app/remote/

Mitsubishi Website said:
Q: I cannot change the vehicle settings. Why?
A: When the security function of the vehicle is in System Armed Mode or Alarm Activation, vehicle settings cannot be changed.
To change the vehicle settings, cancel the System Armed Mode or Alarm Activation.
For more information on the Security Alarm, please refer to the Security Alarm section of the Owner's manual.

So it looks like the car need to be unlocked to enable you to set things remotely? Never tried myself.

Mitsubishi Website said:
A: When the security function of the vehicle is in System Armed Mode or Alarm Activation, vehicle settings cannot be changed.
To change the vehicle settings, cancel the System Armed Mode or Alarm Activation.
For more information on the Security Alarm, please refer to the Security Alarm section of the Owner's manual.

So it looks like the car need to be unlocked to enable you to set things remotely? Never tried myself.[/quote]

Just checked and your right - unlock the car with the key fob and changes from the iPhone Remote App do stick...!!! until it relocks itself...

BeeJay said:
avensys said:
Hi,

Kind regards,
Mark

I think I just found the answer to your problem - it is here on this page - http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/products/outlander_phev/app/remote/

Mitsubishi Website said:

So it looks like the car need to be unlocked to enable you to set things remotely? Never tried myself.

Hi,

Well done for spotting that. A bit of a strange requirement though. Thanks again.

Kind regards,
Mark

Back