WARNING: Phev 2022 Regen Braking Hopeless

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IslandLife said:
Nut17 said:
No heat pump but has electric heater, about 3kw so fair sucks the battery.
I do a 74km round trip to work including a 320m hill (brake pedal to get regen on way down as the paddles are useless above 60% charge) and some 80 to 100kmh roads. I can do that on a charge if I dont use electric heater too much. Charger is set at 10amps so normal plug. Takes about 9.5 hrs from flat and adds 18.3kwh. So system reserves about 1.5kwh for hybrid operation.

Are you sure about the heat pump? Everything I've researched online says the new version does have a heat pump. Also, another question for you... it's come up that the "One Pedal" feature doesn't actually bring you to a complete stop and you still have to use the brake pedal to fully stop. Is this true?

Never mind, just watched this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqvl8Z8XeTU) and at the 18:30 mark, it shows that the, so called, "One Pedal" drive mode, cuts out at about 20 to 15km/h. So that would make it essentially the same as driving around in B5, as we do now. Do you notice any difference between driving in B5 vs "One Pedal"?

It has an aircon but it cools only. The 1 pedal mode does bring you to a complete stop by regen and friction brakes, but then u have to put brake on because it releases the brakes after a short time.
One pedal doesnt start the ICE, for braking but B5 does if battery is over 60%.
B5 doesnt apply friction brakes but 1 pedal does.

IslandLife said:
Whoa, that a very confident statement for a system that is widely used and any cursory google search would show you otherwise. Many EV's have a true "one-pedal" mode that brings you to a full stop without having to touch the brake pedal. This is the true definition of one pedal driving and I think either Tesla or the Bolt was the first to implement it back in 2016 or 17? For example, the Nissan Leaf's sytem -

Read my confident statement again. Physical friction brakes will be used by all of those to come to a complete stop.

NZPHEV2022 said:
kpetrov said:
NZPHEV2022 said:
The new release Outlander PHEV 2022 has a major fail in the Regen braking system. The settings B1 to B5 are available via the steering wheel paddles, BUT, if the battery is above 55% charge, the system STARTS THE PETROL ENGINE to provide braking force rather than returning power to the battery.
Brilliant Regenerative Braking. NOT.
What halfwit thought that was a good idea. MAJOR FAIL MITSUBISHI. How to ruin a good car.
Buyer beware. Stick to the old 2021 model until Mitsubishi fix this major failure.
I don't own 2022 model, but I call that statement uneducated conclusion.
The system can STARTS THE PETROL ENGINE for any other reason but to provide braking force. That is laughable.
First the engine is not connected to the wheels, second the statement "It doesn't happen in 1 pedal mode. Just when you use REGENERATIVE braking via the paddles" tell me you don't have a clue how or what REGENERATIVE braking is at all!!!

Yes it is clear from yr uneducated guesswork that you dont own a 2022 model. I suggest u take one for a drive, until then keep yr abusive comments to yrself.

At the risk of being hand-bagged ladies - I thought we had established in the other posts that, yes, when paddled up above B2, regen turns the ICE over - described as acting as an air brake - but without ignition i.e. no fuel use. But as the ICE is not connected to the wheels under these circumstances, surely this is just a way of utilising the excess energy which can't be put into the almost full battery. On earlier models regen can't operate and so catches even experienced drivers such as me out from time to time, when paddle flipping produces no braking effect? :idea:

littlescrote said:
IslandLife said:
Whoa, that a very confident statement for a system that is widely used and any cursory google search would show you otherwise. Many EV's have a true "one-pedal" mode that brings you to a full stop without having to touch the brake pedal. This is the true definition of one pedal driving and I think either Tesla or the Bolt was the first to implement it back in 2016 or 17? For example, the Nissan Leaf's sytem -

Read my confident statement again. Physical friction brakes will be used by all of those to come to a complete stop.

By the car, obviously, yes, haha, but not by the human, which was implied by your statement because the point we're arguing about here is that the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV calls their system "one pedal mode" implying that the vehicle will apply the fiction brakes on it's own, without driver intervention, to come to a complete stop, just like all the other EV one-pedal driving systems that have been available for years. But, Mitsubishi's system does not do that and instead relies on the driver to take their foot off the throttle and use the brake pedal to apply the friction brakes to come to a stop (2 pedal driving). They are effectively calling B5 mode, one pedal mode, which again is disingenuous as all other one pedal driving systems include the vehicle using the friction brakes to come to a complete stop as the driver lifts off throttle and the driver doesn't have to touch the brake pedal (one pedal driving).

My statement implied nothing about what was actuating the physical friction brakes, just that they would be being used to bring the vehicle to a halt as that is not sensibly done by electric motors/generators.

littlescrote said:
My statement implied nothing about what was actuating the physical friction brakes, just that they would be being used to bring the vehicle to a halt as that is not sensibly done by electric motors/generators.

Simply by providing comment on a thread questioning whether or not the driver would have to use the brake pedal while using Mitsubishi's so called "one-pedal" system... obviously implies to those reading your comment that you were talking about what or who was actuating the physical friction brakes, especially since your comment was very brief and provided no other context further leading those reading to assume you believed "one-pedal" systems required the driver to actuate the brake pedal. Your lack of ability to understand the simplicity of this your own issue.

But, it doesn't matter... now that we know you were, for some reason, just pointing out the very well known and obvious fact that true "one pedal" systems utilize the friction brakes to bring the car to a final stop but also do not require the driver to actuate the brake pedal. We can all agree that since Mitsubishi's system does require the driver to actuate the brake pedal... it is not a "One-Pedal" system, and is just B5 labelled as a "One Pedal" system.

The good news is, that while it seems using the normal regenerative barking system via the paddles (B0 through B5), depending on the state of charge, could start the engine (the operation of which and whether or not fuel is actually burnt and whether or not it continues to run for 5 mins, etc is still unkown).... at least using the "One Pedal" system does not start the engine and use it as a brake (based on what I've read and the video I've watched of the system in operation).

For me, it won't stop me from buying this new version... and actually, if I can get my wife to use the "One-Pedal" mode, we'll be better off as she just leaves our current model in D and never adjusts the regenerative braking anyway.

greendwarf said:
NZPHEV2022 said:
kpetrov said:
I don't own 2022 model, but I call that statement uneducated conclusion.
The system can STARTS THE PETROL ENGINE for any other reason but to provide braking force. That is laughable.
First the engine is not connected to the wheels, second the statement "It doesn't happen in 1 pedal mode. Just when you use REGENERATIVE braking via the paddles" tell me you don't have a clue how or what REGENERATIVE braking is at all!!!

Yes it is clear from yr uneducated guesswork that you dont own a 2022 model. I suggest u take one for a drive, until then keep yr abusive comments to yrself.

At the risk of being hand-bagged ladies - I thought we had established in the other posts that, yes, when paddled up above B2, regen turns the ICE over - described as acting as an air brake - but without ignition i.e. no fuel use. But as the ICE is not connected to the wheels under these circumstances, surely this is just a way of utilising the excess energy which can't be put into the almost full battery. On earlier models regen can't operate and so catches even experienced drivers such as me out from time to time, when paddle flipping produces no braking effect? :idea:

It does use fuel. When the system uses the engine in this mode it then continues to run on idle for 2 mins till the engine warms up even tho it is no longer providing regen braking.
Hopeless system.

In just over 6000 km in our new PHEV MY 2023 VRX I have virtually abandoned the use of the adjustable regen 0-5 settings and use exclusively the "one pedal" button beside the EV selector. With the battery in any state of charge regen is combined with mechanical braking to bring the car down to walking pace. Yes, the brake pedal is required to bring the vehicle to a complete stop, but even on a brisk drive on twisty hilly terrain the one pedal mode works superbly.

Hey guys great regen thread - I posted some test regarding the 23 Outlander Regen modes - here's the link:

https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6101

Mike

Back