What Charge Leads

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex

Hi,
Just ordered GX4H, Atlantic Grey for January delivery.
Can someone advise what charge leads come with the UK spec and do I need to purchase additional leads to use public and other charge points?

Tex said:
Hi,
Just ordered GX4H, Atlantic Grey for January delivery.
Can someone advise what charge leads come with the UK spec and do I need to purchase additional leads to use public and other charge points?

You get a standard 3 pin socket cable with the car, so if you have a handy domestic socket near where you park then that's all you need at home. If you go for the Gov't subsidised dedicated socket then you will normally get as standard a "tethered" cable with the same type 2 plug for the car. This enables a faster (but still over 3 hours recharge)

For public charging there are some older installations that will have a 3 pin socket (so keep the cable in the car - and for use at friends & relatives etc.) but for most you will need a type 1 to type 2 cable https://evconnectors.com/ev-plug-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-cable cheaper than Mitsu's! These still take about 3 hours plus to charge.

Finally there are the latest "rapid" chargers which have their own cable which plugs into the second socket in the car and will give you 80% in about 20 mins. Here is a map of sites https://www.zap-map.com/live/#y=51.5/x=-0.13/z=9

As far as I know, all the public chargers need a smart card which you will have to pay about £10 to get but, at present, are free to use - except Polar - which is the one pushed by British Gas if you use them to install a home charger socket - but their charges are more than petrol :eek: . Probably the most useful is the ecotricity one which you can use at motorway services, IKEA and in London. They also offer an extra discount on their ordinary energy tariff for EV users.

If you go for the Gov't subsidised dedicated socket then you will normally get as standard a "tethered" cable with the same type 2 plug for the car.

I thought we used a type 1 J1772 connector? Type 2 is the 7-pin Mennekes one isn't it? Or have I got it wrong?

Regulo said:
If you go for the Gov't subsidised dedicated socket then you will normally get as standard a "tethered" cable with the same type 2 plug for the car.

I thought we used a type 1 J1772 connector? Type 2 is the 7-pin Mennekes one isn't it? Or have I got it wrong?

Hi m8

No you have it right.....our PHEV's use J1772 type 1 connectors.......so depending on what you want to do depends on what cable you require.
Yes our PHEV's comes with a 3 pin cable to plug into normal 13 amp sockets and charges your vehicle via a 5 pin J1772 plug taking approx 5 hours for a full charge.
A ROLEC unit can be installed with either type 2 or type 1 tethered cable.....so obviously for our PHEV's a type 1 is best.....however if you install a BG/chargemaster unit it comes with type 2 socket, which then requires a type 2 to type 1 cable which also can be used on public chargers also. These cables connected to your car takes around 2 1/2 hours to charge.
So it's really up to you and what you want to do in your own circumstances
The other consideration is whether to have either a 16 amp or 32 amp charger installed.
Again it depends on you.....the PHEV's only charges at 16 amp.....however to future proof 32 amp is the way to go.......as you may not always have a PHEV's and most new and future EV cars are 32 amp.
Hope you have got all that

Graham

I expect to be using IKEA, ASDA and motorway charge points.

What smart card(s) do I need and how I order one? Anyone know if there is a website (I expect you can register for them online).

Thanks.

Regulo said:

Probably right - I was relying on the evconnectors description of the type 1 to type 2 cable having a Male type 2 - must have a different view of anatomy to me :oops:

maddogsetc said:
This'll do the motorways: https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road/registration-form

and IKEA

don't know about Asda, but Chargeyourcar is one of the most prevalent providers - costs £20 pa for a card and then some charge points are free but many points charge per kwh.
Cheers
H

My ecotricity card arrived in the post today so thanks for the advice and link.
New ASDA store nearby has 4 chargemaster bays, Looks like they are not rapid charge points but I didn't get close enough to see the plug type. Will have closer look next time.

steve2001 said:
My ecotricity card arrived in the post today so thanks for the advice and link.
New ASDA store nearby has 4 chargemaster bays, Looks like they are not rapid charge points but I didn't get close enough to see the plug type. Will have closer look next time.

For ChargeMaster you will need a Polar card - https://www.polarinstant.com/evdriver.

If you register and put £20 on your account, they will then contact you via mail and ask you what address you want your RFID card sent to. (that's what they did with me very recently).

Most of the Polar points in London for definite are nice and free and worth using.

Be careful with Polar Network - the points that are not free cost so much that it is cheaper to run on petrol. I'm not sure how clear it is that you are going to have to pay... Read any notices attached to the point very carefully.

maby said:
Be careful with Polar Network - the points that are not free cost so much that it is cheaper to run on petrol. I'm not sure how clear it is that you are going to have to pay... Read any notices attached to the point very carefully.

Yes, this only makes sense for me in Milton Keynes, where the parking is free when charging. Does take a while to find a space that's not occupied by a non-electic car though :evil:

maby said:

Very true, all the points that charge I have found so far are more expensive than petrol.

I did some quick and dirty calculations based on petrol giving about 42mpg and petrol costing £1.21/l and got the following:

Only worth stopping at 13A if less than £0.79 per hour

Only worth stopping at 16A if less than £1.12 per hour

Only worth stopping at rapid if less than £3.53 for 80% charge (80%)

Only worth full charge if less than £3.93 for full charge (100%)

This does of course mean that if you spend more than £3.53 on coffee when waiting for your ecotricity rapid at the motorway services if you only stopped to get free electricity then you are defeating the point financially!!! Of course if you would have stopped anyway then it is a lovely bonus - this is exactly how I look at it.

Back