What happens when keys leave a "still on" car ...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonLass

Two of us in the car I was passenger. I popped into shop for a minute with the keys in my pocket. Came back to the news that it had lit up like a Christmas tree on the dashboard referring to immobilizer etc. Didn't seem to recognise that the key had been re-united. So proceeded with the obvious, try to turn it off and restart. Nothing happening, refused to turn off, or come out of park, or pretty much anything. Turns out SWMBO had her foot on the brake the whole time, and as soon as it was released it would turn off, back on and carry on like normal. So either a glitch or a co-incidence based on time expired from key leaving car to coming back.

This sounds like what happened to me when the "Key not Found" message came up on my first PHEV while I was driving the car. I pressed the power button and this activated the immobilizer, and I was stuck on the roadside. System eventually timed out and PHEV restarted. Did not try this again, even though the "Key not Found" message came back.

This is a bit different to what happens when you forget something and leave the car running and the keys are moved away with a door having been opened. Normally there are the warning beeps when this happens, but all stays good for when you return.

Need to try this with the window down and pass the key outside the car with it powered ON.

I put the key in the slot during that "what do i do" process. Nothing I did seemed to make a difference. Until (I think) the brake pedal was released. Just postulating that the act of releasing the brake pedal might make the computer repeat some check loop.

I had the "key not found" message the other day when one of my passengers got out (and no, they weren't carrying the spare key!)

Regards

Neil

jaapv said:
When the "key not found" message comes up you are supposed to insert the key in the key slot.

Funnily enough I've had the "key not found" more often when the key is in the slot.

Back