What has changed - preheating

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonrh

Last spring when I got my PHEV I used pre heating for a few weeks until the weather got better.

I used the android app to trigger a 20 min heat about 25-30 minutes before i needed the car in the morning. The wall charger would "clonk" on as i pressed the button on the app and then the car would heat up. The charger would stay on after the heating finished and top the battery back up as far as possible and would often still be going as i went to get back in the car (green light still illuminated on wall charger = charging). That's the way I remember it from last year.

This year (it has been in for a service since) I have the same setup only the charger doesn't cut in when i press the app button(no clonk and no charging showing on app). Every morning I go out and my Rolec's blue light (=connected but not charging) is on but that car has 2 bars of charge missing from the top of the battery. (which i take to mean it heated the car from the battery and then the car has not demanded the charger back on to replenish). This means i dont get to work on EV and run out several miles short.

Only difference is that I am using the charge timer to get the car to charge off peak this winter unlike before. It is set to charge between 00:10 and 18:00 on 7 days of the week. This means the charge starts after midnight and takes the 3 hours @ 16A. It will then still be active at breakfast time. I can also charge at work during the day. When I get home from work after 18:00 though, no charge until after midnight.

So i cant see how the timer would stop a charge.

Has my software been fiddled with or am i doing something daft?

Do I recall seeing somewhere in past threads that setting charge timers stops manual charging? Perhaps the car sees the preheating request from the app as a manual charging request?

Regulo said:
Do I recall seeing somewhere in past threads that setting charge timers stops manual charging? Perhaps the car sees the preheating request from the app as a manual charging request?

Indeed it does - if you use the charge timer, pre-heating will not override it and you'll use up power from the battery to pre-heat. I seem to remember Mitsubishi promising to provide a patch for this, but I have not heard anyone report that the behaviour has changed.

What I do, rightly or wrongly is have the car set to charge starting about an hour or so before it really needs to and then at 4:10 (I think) have the heating on for 20 minutes and have the timed charge set to end at 4:55, then when I go to the car around 5am it is still warmish but the charge is readying as pretty much full.

This is on a new 4hs.

That fixed it, cleared all charge timers and then preheating works and battery recharges straight away.
Does that mean I can only have one or the other if i want a full battery?. Charge timer or preheat

Back