Which Tracker ?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr92percent

Due to a large increase in vehicle thefts in my area, (rural Essex U.K.) I am definitely going to have a tracking device fitted to my PHEV. Can anyone recommend one, also it must be of a type that will give me some discount on my car insurance.

Hi
I haven't fitted one to my car but I have for the the last 8 years owned a motorhome which when new cost nearly £60k and part of the insurance requirement was for a tracker system to be installed.
I had one as supplied by Phantom Tracking Systems and found it to work very well, with text messages and phone calls if the alarm was for any reason set off.
They can be contacted via www.phantom.uk.net

Hi,
Being from Norway I cant advice about insurance etc but I have a beautiful story that can be a good inspiration for you.

I fitted a similar system in a friends boat. It was a programmable theft alarm system that can be controlled via sms.
One night the boat was stolen and an sms was sent to my friens phone.
He followed the boat on his computer and called the police further down the river.
when the boat was in a position near the police boat he sent an sms that stopped the engine. Boat dead in the water. Then he sent a new sms that turned on a 120dB sirene. One last sms turned all lights on and off, flashing in a 2s sequece.

Easy pick up for the police, one last sms reset all systems and the police drove the boat to shore.

Snowball said:
sent an sms that stopped the engine. Boat dead in the water. Then he sent a new sms that turned on a 120dB sirene. One last sms turned all lights on and off, flashing in a 2s sequece.

whoopie, quite a story :lol: oh I so dispise thiefs.. purposely disadvantage others, grrr. so low.

it must have been a lot more then just a tracker system, with outputs to here and there. you know make and model of it?

We had a lot of fun when installing and programming the system and the policemen had equally much fun arresting the two jokers that didnt understand what happened to them :p :eek:
I dont remember what gps tracker we used but these are easy to find.
The controller was a system called Googol, it had balanced inputs so we could easily detect if anyone tried to tamper the system.
The Googol is a universal system meaning that it can solve many purposes, not just theft and sms.
I have actually used it for remote control of a big diesel generator on an island.
In a car like the phev I would try to find a gps tracker with a few programmable in and outputs if you want to interrupt the car, if you just want to locate the car just buy a cheap one.You can also use a mobile phone.

I've always believed that the best anti-theft device would be something built deep into the car's systems which allowed it to be started and driven a mile or two before it starts to simulate a failing engine - intermittent misfire, power loss, possibly stall, start again, run a hundred yards, then dead. No car thief is going to bother trying to fix a broken car by the roadside, or call the AA - they will simply abandon it and look for something else.

Cymro said:
if you want reduced insurance I suggest you ask your insurance company which trackers they support :)

Thats exactly what I have been trying to do however so far I have spent ages on hold waiting to speak to someone they obviously only have a skeleton staff on duty during the Christmas period.

Cymro said:
if you want reduced insurance I suggest you ask your insurance company which trackers they support :)

I only paid £260 for fully comp on our Outlander with no additional security fitted - is any insurer going to make any meaningful reduction on that for the addition of a tracker?

I have finally got through to the insurance company so I suppose my original question still stands which is the best tracker for my phev ?

I need to declare a personal interest here as I work for the motorcycle side of the company but have a look at ScorpionTrack www.scorpiontrack.com.

The fleet version of this will be going on my GX4h when it arrives in Feb.

We have literally hundreds of high end cars with our system fitted (Range Rovers / Ferrari / Bentley etc). No Outlander PHEVs yet though.

Cheers Dave

Back