Why the accelerator "kick down switch"?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerHunter

As per the title, why does the PHEV have an accelerator pedal "kick down switch"?
It seems totally redundant without a gearbox and the performance does not change between full throttle above the "kickdown" and pressing harder to enter the "kickdown" zone.

I wonder if it can be bypassed......

Kev.

It is pretty useful if you are in speed limit mode and need to accelerate out of a situation, as it overrides the limiter ( the same in cruise control or ACC) I suspect it overrides the driving settings of ECO mode too.

BeerHunter said:
As per the title, why does the PHEV have an accelerator pedal "kick down switch"?
It seems totally redundant without a gearbox and the performance does not change between full throttle above the "kickdown" and pressing harder to enter the "kickdown" zone.

I wonder if it can be bypassed......

Kev.

What "kick down switch"?

jaapv said:
It is pretty useful if you are in speed limit mode and need to accelerate out of a situation, as it overrides the limiter ( the same in cruise control or ACC) I suspect it overrides the driving settings of ECO mode too.
Ah! Never having used the speed limiter, I did not know about that feature.

greendwarf said:
What "kick down switch"?
The notch you feel between full throttle and and the pedal hitting the floor.

Kev.

maddogsetc said:
Haven't found it so don't think my foot has been that far South yet!

Same goes here. I thought everybody who bought PHEV bought it for the economy and would not floor it unless it is an absolute emergency/necessity.

ufo said:
maddogsetc said:
Haven't found it so don't think my foot has been that far South yet!

Same goes here. I thought everybody who bought PHEV bought it for the economy and would not floor it unless it is an absolute emergency/necessity.

Plenty of us didn't choose the PHEV for fuel economy, but tax economy! Anyway, I thought I had floored it on occassion, and I wasn't aware of any kick down switch. But after reading this post yesterday, I briefly tried pushing the accelerator a bit further than what I thought was the floor, and yes, there is a definite, quite high pressure resistance, switch allowing a little extra pedal travel. Not that I expect to ever use it......

Back