Why the box in the charger??

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdejon

Why the "control box" is soo close to the plug in the charges?

Every time I want to charge my car at a friends house, and the outlet is on a high place i cant charge because that control box.
I saw a charge in charge-amps.com that do not have these boxes.. but i don't know that is safe..

Mdejon said:

Every time I want to charge my car at a friends house, and the outlet is on a high place i cant charge because that control box.
I saw a charge in charge-amps.com that do not have these boxes.. but i don't know that is safe..
The control box has some security measurements, such as a Ground Fault Circuit Braker. In line with safety standards, only 30 cm of the cable should be unprotected. This is why the box is so close to the socket.

The Charge Amps cable also has these measurements, but tucked away in the Type 1 connector. So, all of the cable is unprotected .... but I would expect your wall socket is protected by itself. If this is that case, it should be safe.

I have been using a Charge Amps v1 cable for little over two years. More than once a day, in average. Outdoors all the time. And precisely today, it died on me. To much moist in the electronics, I suspect :(

Mdejon said:

Are you really saying that there is nothing near the socket at your friend's house that that the cord can't be hooked on or tied to whilst charging? :?

greendwarf said:
Mdejon said:
Why the "control box" is soo close to the plug in the charges? Every time I want to charge my car at a friends house, and the outlet is on a high place i cant charge because that control box.

Are you really saying that there is nothing near the socket at your friend's house that that the cord can't be hooked on or tied to whilst charging? :?

I have a socket like that - there was nowhere to hang the cord, so I hammered a masonry nail into the mortar underneath the socket. Before I did that, I hung the control box via a small bungee cord hooked over the socket.

Not in OZ. :evil:

My house has individual RCD on every power cct. Electrician had no issue just fitting a longer cord. The box is well sealed to IP65, so has to be same std after mods. No place to for a tethered station. After a year now, all is still working like day 1. The indicator lights and the relay click give enough assurance that charger is working.

When travelling I have a normal box with a cord that lives in the car under the floor panel.

greendwarf said:
Bert said:
put a cord at the control box and hang it onto the power point...

Er, UK cars come with a hanging cord attached (unlike Mercs. :lol: ) -not in OZ?

Na, nothing here, just the blank box.
The PHEV does not even have a fast charger port, just a plank plate where it normally sits. As far as I could investigate that, the Outlander has 2 charging ports all over the world, except here in AU...

Well, the only thing the Aussies were ever fast at was bowling and drinking. :evil:

I'll get my coat . . . and tin hat! Good job I'm 12k miles away!

Back