Winter Tyre Review

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthspace

Whilst our Continental friends more often than not have a set of tyres for Winter and Rest of Year, it is more unusual for people in the UK to only have one set - as the whole country grinds to a halt when we have more than 1cm of snow, it seems a waste of money to "be prepared" . . . :D :D

AutoExpress magasine did a review of All Season tyres which may be of interest

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/access...-tyres-test-2015-top-all-weather-tyres-tested

I live in Cambridge and it is very unusual to get much snow here as the winds coming over from Europe blow straight over as the land is so flat and there isn't much to make precipitation happen (our nearest mountain range looking East is the Urals!) although we do get our fair share of rain.

Of the tyres under review, I would go for one with the best wet performance, so the Goodyears would be my choice - if they do 18"

Jeff

Having used winter tyres for the first last February in the Alps, I'd say I'm well pleased I spent the money on the 2nd set - as I sailed up the ice covered autoroute incline leaving the locals struggling in my wake :p

However, this winter has been more difficult with temps too high until last month for winters and even when it dropped & I switched we then had another period of mild & wet weather. :? Tonight it will get as low as minus 7c, even in the south but then warm up again at the weekend. :eek:

I think this is the real problem - in most of the UK winter temps are not consistently low enough to justify anything other than all-seasons unless you are going to invest in a second set of wheels and trolley jack etc. so you can switch them around more frequently. :cry: The down side of all-seasons are that they are going to be second best for most of the year :oops:

Back