Wrong Manual for MY16

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emm3t

I took delivery of my MY16 Outlander yesterday evening. This morning, after I was looking through the car and MMCS manual I realised that Mitsubishi Spain have provided the MY14.5 manual instead of the new one. There are some differences!

Does anyone have an electronic copy of the latest manuals? The car one is not a problem - it's more of a problem with the MMCS one, since the buttons and menus have changed.

I suspect that they didn't have time to translate from Japanese > English > Spanish before delivering them in Spain (my car was on the first shipment), but it isn't really an excuse. An English version is fine (actually preferable) if anyone has one...

BTW: the more I drive the car, the more I like it! Very happy with the performance in the 20 hours that I've had it.

Many thanks in advance,

Emmet

Buenas tardes, Emmet

If you succeed in your search, please post a link here. I've found an Aussie 2014 model manual on the Internet, but no sign of a 2016 version. I don't understand why car manufacturers are so possessive about manuals - they're not exactly trade secrets! It's the 21st century and surely all dealers should be provided with electronic versions of all relevant literature that they can provide to existing and prospective customers. A searchable PDF is so much more useful than a paper manual (and it's always accessible, without having to trail off to the glove box through the rain)!

The US web pages allow you download the manuals (all the manuals), but of course, they don't have the PHEV version yet. I have managed to find the MY16 user manual, but still searching for the MMCS one... :(

The user manual is here: http://j.mp/PHEV_MY16

Now just looking for the MMCS manual! I've raised this with the dealer anyway, so maybe this will get me somewhere.

Emm3t

Thanks for that link, Emmet. Your rocket scientist creds should come in handy trying to grapple with the manuals!

ChrisMiller said:
Thanks for that link, Emmet. Your rocket scientist creds should come in handy trying to grapple with the manuals!
Okay so apart from repeating themselves a few times and the unquestionably good but unnecessary advice (such as operating the electric window when your head is in the way can be hazardous or that taking a cold shower will not sober you up [seriously - it's in there]), I think the manuals are a good effort compared with so many English user manuals that originate in the Far East. There are some awkward expressions which make an English speaker read the sentence at least twice but its generally pretty good, or did I say that already.

Its hard work though - I am half way through the first (owners) manual and have yet to discover the finer points of operating the MMCS and I've had the car 3 months!

EssexBoy said:
I think the manuals are a good effort compared with so many English user manuals that originate in the Far East.
I wouldn't disagree, EssexBoy, I was only pointing out the manual's complexity (understandable, it's a complex vehicle) and the strange 'Japanese' approach to user interface design (not by any means confined to Mitsi) - is there really no better way of achieving some result than by pressing open/close 20 times? And there's more than a few infelicities of language that grate on the English speaker's ear. I can understand that for a small manufacturer producing low-volume, low-value electronic goods in China, we can't expect much better than can be achieved with Google translate. But really, how much does it cost a volume car manufacturer to have a native speaker run through the manual and correct all the language errors - surely no more than a low 5-figure sum? What does that add to the cost per vehicle - around a quid?

I've seen instruction manual which were a lot worse - that's true! ;)

Can someone - probably better in the UK or Netherlands where the PHEV populations in larger - confirm that the manual (however well or badly written) you received with your MY16 was updated to reflect the differences between it and the previous version? Checking again today revealed that all the documentation received referred to the old model. I don't want to have to go and complain to Mitsubishi Europe if this is common to everyone (then that would be much more serious!) :shock: :shock:

Many thanks to all!

Emm3t

I can definitely confirm the main manual is updated for MY16 - I've got an ecopy of the older manual and there are several differences (the controls on the steering wheel, for example). I'm almost certain the MMCS manual is, too, but I can't be absolutely sure because I'm not certain what differences we should expect to see.

Back