Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Unofficial PHEV wifi app
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:00 am 

A month away from my PHEV - And have already started to investigate how to create my own Android app. Nice to see other people doing the same! I take it there's no documentation floating around the Internet on the communications protocol for the wifi? Reverse engineering the Mitsubishi app is the only way to find out what's going on between the phone and the car?
I was thinking about an app that could be remote controlled using SMS (like the one from AutoApps.no but all rolled into one). At home, I won't be within wifi range, so some kind of "remote remote" is a must!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:22 am 

MatsH wrote:
A month away from my PHEV - And have already started to investigate how to create my own Android app. Nice to see other people doing the same! I take it there's no documentation floating around the Internet on the communications protocol for the wifi? Reverse engineering the Mitsubishi app is the only way to find out what's going on between the phone and the car?
I was thinking about an app that could be remote controlled using SMS (like the one from AutoApps.no but all rolled into one). At home, I won't be within wifi range, so some kind of "remote remote" is a must!

The wifi uses standard WPA2 style encryption which creates a standard network between the app and the car. The protocol being used is proprietary and used the Java socket protocol for sending and receiving messages themselves. From what I have worked out so far is these messages are direct calls to the MMCS, this included ECU specific queries so my current suspicion is that the MMCS acts as the intermediary between the CANbus and the wifi ECU.

Hope that makes some sense, happy to answer specific questions :)

I have not forgotten about this all, just bit busy with work and life to get around to coding anything more than the test stuff to date. Hoping to have an unofficial testing version before the mid year though!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:31 am 

wazzad wrote:
The wifi uses standard WPA2 style encryption which creates a standard network between the app and the car. The protocol being used is proprietary and used the Java socket protocol for sending and receiving messages themselves. From what I have worked out so far is these messages are direct calls to the MMCS, this included ECU specific queries so my current suspicion is that the MMCS acts as the intermediary between the CANbus and the wifi ECU.
OK! I was hoping for some kind of "web server" in the MMCS with an API listening on some port. That would have been a simple matter to interface against. But raw sockets, you say? Sounds really "old school" to me!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:38 am 

MatsH wrote:
wazzad wrote:
OK! I was hoping for some kind of "web server" in the MMCS with an API listening on some port. That would have been a simple matter to interface against. But raw sockets, you say? Sounds really "old school" to me!

Hahahaha yeah I wished it was simply webserver with something like a restful api but alas no, can tell this was written by an engineer and not a more suitable dev..... Although the engineer did not give two hoots about security which is making my research quite a bit easier ;) if you decompile the android app you can view the actual jsocket structure and basic names matched against the raw data so attributing the known calls are trivial. I am more interested in the calls direct to the EV-ECU Bus though so makes it a tad bit more painful as next step is pulling out the looms and attempting to glitch out the ECU's so I can grab a copy of the firmware binaries on wrote protected modules!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:49 pm 

I understand every word you are saying - but haven't got a clue what the meaning is. My problem, I know. I look forward to hearing how we can perform more useful functions with a remote app.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:52 pm 

wazzad wrote:
From what I have worked out so far is these messages are direct calls to the MMCS, this included ECU specific queries so my current suspicion is that the MMCS acts as the intermediary between the CANbus and the wifi ECU.
Not quite. The WiFi module (actually I should say the EV Remote module) is directly linked to the SUB CAN C can bus. See picture. Also, people have replace MMCS by aftermarket units, without loosing remote control capabilities.

I think it is the other way around: Next to the app, MMCS is a second user interface which connects via canbus to the EV Remote module.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:15 am 

anko wrote:
wazzad wrote:
From what I have worked out so far is these messages are direct calls to the MMCS, this included ECU specific queries so my current suspicion is that the MMCS acts as the intermediary between the CANbus and the wifi ECU.
Not quite. The WiFi module (actually I should say the EV Remote module) is directly linked to the SUB CAN C can bus. See picture. Also, people have replace MMCS by aftermarket units, without loosing remote control capabilities.

I think it is the other way around: Next to the app, MMCS is a second user interface which connects via canbus to the EV Remote module.

AWESOME!!!!! Anko you are a god damn hero!

So this may be where I am struggling at the moment! you mean to say that timers and remote control settings (such as alarm config) etc are NOT affected when you remove the MMCS?? well that saves me removing my MMCS to test!

:D

this makes the rest more simple............. so anything on the Sub CAN-C is accessible from the wifi controller without any watchdog??!!! that is a scary thought considering the OSS is directly attached!

Although my main target has now moved onto the EV CAN bus, that would in theory be routable via the ETACS Controller -> MAIN CAN-C -> EV Can? (which is where the MMCS on the Sub CAN-C) grabs it from anyways?

Still time to grab these firmware binaries =\

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:28 am 

wazzad wrote:
So this may be where I am struggling at the moment! you mean to say that timers and remote control settings (such as alarm config) etc are NOT affected when you remove the MMCS?? well that saves me removing my MMCS to test!

In the Netherlands several MMCSes where replaced by Pioneers with no issues.

wazzad wrote:
so anything on the Sub CAN-C is accessible from the wifi controller without any watchdog??!!! that is a scary thought considering the OSS is directly attached!

I think so. Unless the remote controller is a watchdog itself. Have you established it is not?

wazzad wrote:
Although my main target has now moved onto the EV CAN bus, that would in theory be routable via the ETACS Controller -> MAIN CAN-C -> EV Can? (which is where the MMCS on the Sub CAN-C) grabs it from anyways?
What kind of info from EV-CSAN are you looking for? Perhaps I can help .... See my post from last night in the Tech section regarding Extracting useful info ....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:21 pm 

Hi wazzad, I like the sound of what you're saying but also struggle to keep up with the tech. Anyway, have you managed to get rid of the super annoying message on start that requires an acknowledgment before the screen will display anything?
What I find most infuriating about the wifi app is that the phone will automatically connect which prevents it from accessing the Internet and the only way to prevent this is to hit forget this network ' in settings. BTW I have an iPhone so may be different to android.
I also agree that the functionality feels like an engineer build rather than the user friendly approach of a developer.
Hope your eventual app will work on iPhone too, anyway good wishes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:10 am 

DUGSA63 wrote:
Hi wazzad, I like the sound of what you're saying but also struggle to keep up with the tech. Anyway, have you managed to get rid of the super annoying message on start that requires an acknowledgment before the screen will display anything?
What I find most infuriating about the wifi app is that the phone will automatically connect which prevents it from accessing the Internet and the only way to prevent this is to hit forget this network ' in settings. BTW I have an iPhone so may be different to android.
I also agree that the functionality feels like an engineer build rather than the user friendly approach of a developer.
Hope your eventual app will work on iPhone too, anyway good wishes.

Change the ip settings of the remote wifi connection from dhcp to fixed and do not enter router and gateway info, just IP address and subnet. This allows an iPhone to connect to the internet, while connected to the remote network.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next