What Have You Done To Your PHEV Today?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BobEngineer said:
First person to suggest his and her PHEV's will get their bank account hacked to pay for it! :D

When we bought ours the dealer claimed to have just sold 2 precisely for that purpose :eek:

Greetings
I get my new PHEV tomorrow along with seven others from my company

Quite excited :)

This is my first time on here , wish I had done so before and researched tow bar fitting before booking it in . I could have done the complete job myself me thinks .....

After I received the T20 reverse light LED (http://www.dx.com/p/mz-t20-12w-led-...-6000k-24-smd-5630-12-24v-376086#.VRwg2SwmeHs) which turned out to be a complete dissapointment (1.5 W instead of 12 W and max 300 lumens instead of the advertised 1200 lumens),
I today bought and fitted a 12V 50W halogene bulb (840 real lumens!) into the reverse light socket.
What can I say? 60 cent well spent, PLENTY of light now :)

In case you're wondering how it fits: I broke of the lower part of the LED body and used it as an adapter.

hwjx29.jpg

Yesterday I relieved my outi from 15 litres of petrol.
I sucked them out of its tank into 2 canisters and gave em to my brother for use in his car.
Now I should have made enough space in my tank to give it the 20 litre refill when required in a few month....
Although, the fuelgauge still shows 2/3 full :?

After a month of driving the car in ECO mode trying to use as much EV as possible, had a bit longer drive today using the highways. So as I was going to use some fuel anyways. I allowed myself to use the full power. Pretty impressed with the acceleration going uphill accelerating to 130 km/h. Previous diesel I had was less fun on this road.

Also happy with the ability of overtaking. Big thumbs up to this car :).

I have finally fitted the led bulbs as DRL's.

Reamed out the fitting ages ago, but one of the first bulbs sent was faulty. I reordered different ones and they have sat in our garage for 3 months. They're working well, and look good.

Kim said:
After I received the T20 reverse light LED (http://www.dx.com/p/mz-t20-12w-led-...-6000k-24-smd-5630-12-24v-376086#.VRwg2SwmeHs) which turned out to be a complete dissapointment (1.5 W instead of 12 W and max 300 lumens instead of the advertised 1200 lumens),
I today bought and fitted a 12V 50W halogene bulb (840 real lumens!) into the reverse light socket.
What can I say? 60 cent well spent, PLENTY of light now :)

In case you're wondering how it fits: I broke of the lower part of the LED body and used it as an adapter.

hwjx29.jpg
Won't it melt down the plastic of the lens and reflector?

I'll check after a few weeks or so.
When I decided to use that bulb, I knew it could get hot, but I also knew, that it hardly ever be switched on for more than 10 seconds in a row...

Well yesterday actually - first use of Aircon since getting car last September to chill at a lovely 15c - all on battery without the guilt of adding to the air pollution here in tropical Sarf Lundun :cool:

greendwarf said:
Well yesterday actually - first use of Aircon since getting car last September to chill at a lovely 15c - all on battery without the guilt of adding to the air pollution here in tropical Sarf Lundun :cool:
Ha! You softie southerners.... We're still on pre-heating up here :cry: !

jdsx said:
greendwarf said:
Ha! You softie southerners.... We're still on pre-heating up here :cry: !

Ha! I actually turned on the pre-cooling once last week...

Went to other London dealer in Barnes - big mistake, as I got caught up in the traffic jams caused by the Hammersmith Flyover closure :twisted: - to order a set of wheels to put the summer tyres on - £449 EACH + VAT :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Even though they offered to do them at £400 inc VAT, that is still £1600 which represents a lot of twice yearly tyre changes. :( I seem to recall from the winter tyre discussion that I could get a set WITH TYRES in Holland for that price.

I did order a set of TPMS valves and so will look at non-Mitsu wheels. Anybody bought some recently?

Oh, also ordered the roof bars so not a completely wasted journey.

Finally got round to upgrading those awful yellowish DRL's, but it cost me a pretty penny!

After much searching, and wasteful purchasing, I came to the conclusion that to fit LED's to the existing lamp units would require modification of either the lamp unit itself, or the LED bulb - both options that have been undertaken by earlier posters in this thread.
I decided that I would like to be able to use more or less any bulb from the significant number available from a multitude of sources, so modifying the lamp unit (drilling\reaming out the reflector) was the way to go.

Because my Phev is a lease car, I didn't want to risk ruining the lamp unit so shelled out for a pair of aftermarket replacement units that cost me just under £72for the pair, and I shall merely store the originals for re-fitting before returning the car. The LED bulbs I had long before ordered in from the USA via ebay, costing £27 - Cree based units, sporting two XT-E 5W beads per bulb.
My existing stepped drill was not going to do the job, so I ordered in a 19mm blacksmith's drill for £4.88, but this kept snagging the bulb holder before even reaching the reflector, so I stumped up another £4.30 for an 18mm one. Another mistake, as although the right size, it would just catch on the reflector and spin the whole lamp unit around.

Back to the Dremel then.

Now I have two nice and bright crisp white DRL's, and still coming in at less than the factory-priced upgrade.

Bulb:
p13w.jpg

Dremelled-out reflector:
empty.jpg

With bulb fitted:
full.jpg

The picture of the finished result, doesn't really do it justice, but is just as bright as any factory fit DRL on modern cars.
car1.jpg

That's one way.... OK

If there's someone out there who want's to have it done my way (but doesn't own a lathe), I'd offer him to turn down a pair of the LED's I used for my mod.

You could just have em shipped to me. It's no more than a two minute job and I do it for free. All you have to pay for are the $17 for the LED's (shipping incl.) plus the shipping costs from my place to your place.

Kim said:
If there's someone out there who want's to have it done my way (but doesn't own a lathe), I'd offer him to turn down a pair of the LED's I used for my mod.
Funny you should say that Kim, I had a pair of the LED's that you used arrive today (although I didn't get them from DX).

I am always looking for excuses to buy new tools and had toyed with the idea of buying a mini-lathe, but that was going to cost me £325 for a tool that I would probably only use for this job, and never again.

So now I've got those LED's and no home for 'em, but who knows, I might end up with a lathe in the future (although might not still have the car by then ;) ).

I just created a new topic on the DRL light by Osram (http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1466)

I wonder if that is a simpler replacement?

Thanks...

tun said:
I just created a new topic on the DRL light by Osram (http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1466)
I wonder if that is a simpler replacement? Thanks...
Outch!!! Not at all!

@Stvtech: are your lights still water proof after the dremel outment?
Also I don't see an o-ring seal on the LED you used?!?

Kim said:
are your lights still water proof after the dremel outment?
Also I don't see an o-ring seal on the LED you used?!?

They should be, because the dremel is only used on the reflector, not the bulb holder\fitment.
The o-ring was temporarily removed so as to prevent bits of reflector dust contaminating it when test fitting the bulb (it took a lot of trial and error to dremel out just the right amount).

I modded my original lamps by reaming the reflector even though its a lease car. The original bulbs can fit back in and work fine when I return it. Usually the cars just go back and go straight to auction and 'sold as seen' to dealers. No one will care or probably even notice the mod. (will be too late by the time they did anyway)

Back