ECOTRICITY 20 min charge... A bit rubbish

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benarchard

Done this a couple of times at the Cobham services... And literally the charge lasts about 5 miles.

Anyone else find these fast charges a bit useless?

Fast chargers will charge you up to 80% which should give you 20 or so miles and about 13 bars on the battery meter. Driving style is important so if it is fast motorway driving you won't get the same mileage as on slower roads where the car can use regen braking. When I top up I always seem to get close to the mileage indicated after the charge has finished. Also when I then charge at home for the first time after a fast charge - it shows more EV miles than normal, usually 30 + for some reason. State of Charge is state of charge, regardless of where the electricity comes from. ;)

That's Surrey electricity for you, too posh for a Mitsubishi, only works properly in Tesla's and BMW iwhatsits

:lol:

The DC chargers on the motorway normally take me from 0 to 80 % in 22-24 mins and last me about 18 miles at 70mph

Also, if thjere isn't anyone else waiting and you can return to the charger, if you start the charge process again without removing the cable you can get the other 20% in 20 minutes.

I wouldn't think it a good idea to go past 80% on a fast charger. Not only do you risk frying your battery but also could invalidate your warranty if anything does happen. :shock:

Well, you will not really fry it - there are safety systems in place that break off the charge if it gets too hot, but you will be shortening battery life drastically. That in turn will reduce the secondhand value of the car (or the monetary return by the lease company) quite considerably, given that the replacement price is probably about 4000 GBP.
Nor will there be any guaranty in this case, as Mitsubishi warns explicitly against the practice - and can read out the charging history in the log.

Well, watching the current level, it dropps off quite linearly over the 20 minutes - which is why it takes that long - so I'm not worried. The protocol between the charger and car would stop the charge if Mitsu really, strictly, didn't want it. Also, I'm on a 3 year lease so ...

Back