2019 Outlander with EV mode 15miles only?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobreak

Good evening. First post !
I bought Mitsubishi PHEV 2019 last weekend from Cazoo and I'm torn at the moment because I love the car but I'm bit disappointed with EV Mode.I drive to school, work and back home in the suburban city, around 20-25 miles daily and my aim is to use as less petrol as possible. With my Outlander after 5 hours of domestic charge I can only achieve 15 miles in the EV mode. Yesterday it was raining in the morning, it was 10 degrees C and I completely drained battery on my way home so I had to charge the car in evening again. Today after the charge battery range was shown as 15 miles on the monitor again however I was switching between modes while driving, used some petrol as well and I managed to add some charge and now on monitor there is 7 miles left but I also used 6 miles woth of fuel. I'm not satisfied as I was hoping to have at least 20 miles range (that was my entire daily round trip today) or bit more on the single charge in pure EV Mode. So my question is is it possible that battery isn't performing as it should on this car because it's 4 years old? It has 55k mileage, regular service history and one previous owner. I have only 3 days left to call Cazoo whether I want to keep the car or return it. Diagnostic tool would be handy to check the battery but I'm still waiting for it's arrival.

Not sure if it really helps you, but mine's also 2019 2.4L and had 47K miles when bought in Jan this year from a used car outfit. A full charge takes around 5.5 hours and GOM will report 19-26 miles according to whether I have AC turned on etc., the lower with it on. Can't say I've tested for EV range tho I have switched it into EV mode on a local run into Rochester and back and it ran mostly on battery with around 7 miles left when I got back. It is hilly round here so I don't really expect full EV range. MPG when on longer runs has been in the 35-45 MPG range so far.

In terms of checking the battery health, others more experienced can perhaps advise, but range will depend on a lot of variables, driving style, temperature and terrain.

Our vehicles are notorious for over the top software battery health degradation.

Ask the dealership to perform battery optimization (BMU reset with following DBCAM) and you will have your actual battery state of health and actual electric mileage.
I have gained around 7 extra miles after such procedure.

kpetrov said:
Our vehicles are notorious for over the top software battery health degradation.

Ask the dealership to perform battery optimization (BMU reset with following DBCAM) and you will have your actual battery state of health and actual electric mileage.
Thanks Kpetrov. I saw on YT how to do BMU reset and more complex DBCAM procedure , but I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that Mitsubishi Motors sent warning to dealerships in UK to stop performing this procedure in 2019! I don't want to attempt it myself but I know a mechanic who does remapping in London and I might give him a call for a quote.
Re: DaveL59
My battery charges to full in 4 hours instead average 5 -5.5 hrs so I fear the battery capacity could be as low as in 60%'s but I have yet to confirm it when my OBD2 Scanner arrive.

kpetrov said:
Seriously? Our 98k-mile, 2015 car's BMU and battery were untouched for 8 years till January. I took it in to the dealer, who measured it at 64.8%. They then did a full DBCAM overnight and it recovered to nearly 70%. At my current 12-mile range, that's roughly a massive ½-mile improvement for the £200+ it cost :roll: The price may be "over the top", but not the degradation :lol:

ThudnBlundr said:
kpetrov said:
Seriously? Our 98k-mile, 2015 car's BMU and battery were untouched for 8 years till January. I took it in to the dealer, who measured it at 64.8%. They then did a full DBCAM overnight and it recovered to nearly 70%. At my current 12-mile range, that's roughly a massive ½-mile improvement for the £200+ it cost :roll: Hardly "over the top" :lol:

Wow! That’s ridiculous! I have to correct myself here though. After full charge last night Drive Battery Display was showing 24 miles not 15 , it only went down to 15miles when I turn AC on for today’s drive. My windscreens notoriously steam up because of the current weather outside so I had to turn AC on and off constantly in order to save battery. I bought reusable moisture absorbers on Amazon, hope they will save me bit of money for petrol and charging :lol:

Bobreak said:
kpetrov said:

Thanks Kpetrov. I saw on YT how to do BMU reset and more complex DBCAM procedure , but I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that Mitsubishi Motors sent warning to dealerships in UK to stop performing this procedure in 2019! I don't want to attempt it myself but I know a mechanic who does remapping in London and I might give him a call for a quote.
Re: DaveL59
My battery charges to full in 4 hours instead average 5 -5.5 hrs so I fear the battery capacity could be as low as in 60%'s but I have yet to confirm it when my OBD2 Scanner arrive.
You shouldn't do a simple reset shown on YT. It will hurt the battery even more. You should do it only with proper software MUT-III not by erasing the BMU memory.

ThudnBlundr said:
kpetrov said:
Seriously? Our 98k-mile, 2015 car's BMU and battery were untouched for 8 years till January. I took it in to the dealer, who measured it at 64.8%. They then did a full DBCAM overnight and it recovered to nearly 70%. At my current 12-mile range, that's roughly a massive ½-mile improvement for the £200+ it cost :roll: The price may be "over the top", but not the degradation :lol:
OK I agree it is not over the top but a lot of folks are complaining having a 65% SOH like yours at much lesser mileage.
BTW you gained 8% SOH which is not a small value.

kpetrov said:
OK I agree it is not over the top but a lot of folks are complaining having a 65% SOH like yours at much lesser mileage.
BTW you gained 8% SOH which is not a small value.
It depends how you measure it. It was still only around ½-mile extra range, whichever way you measure it. Everyone knew exactly what I meant, but I guess technically we're both right if you want to split hairs :roll:

anyone know how much mitsubishi charge for a new battery?

did the facelift outlanders come with a modular battery pack so if a module was faulty that could be replaced instead of a complete battery?

BoBreak, it would seem that your car just needs the so-called Kermit update.

See more here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/342911965900842/permalink/1347702388755123/

2018 US model, 12 EV miles in winter with heat on, about 14 EV miles in summer with AC on. In CA, we consider 40 degree F as COLD and summer can get as high as 105 F. In 2018, it took about 6 hrs to 6.5 hours to charge at 12 amp/110 volt outlet, now it showed as 5 hours. Go figure!

Back