10,000+ miles

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pheverish

I've had my 4h for 7 months now and have some feedback on what I think of the car.

My daily commute is about 60 miles return, + running around locally at the weekend (mostly on electric)

My electric range is somewhere between 18 - 24 miles (it has never been higher)
The highest fuel economy with a tank of fuel I have achieved is 75mpg (in the summer)
The winter is taking it's toll and the average is now around 45mpg
So my running average is just less than 60mpg (which is as good as I used to get with my Prius in the summer)

All those bings, bleeps and bongs - they don't bother me.
if you don't want the boot to bleep whilst opening, either do it manually, or open via the rear button when the central locking is on.
Why do I get a 'no key recognised' alarm when a passenger enters the car after I have switched on?
My cable connector door/lid seems to have slipped somehow and doesn't shut properly now. (they can sort it out at my service)
I have also had the alarm going off 6 minutes into a timed heating of the windscreen.
Pre-heating/cooling the car is a great option - I use it a lot.
I have used IKEA/ecotricity points with a access card - no problem
I have also used a 'charge your car' charging point in Manchester via the phone app. It's a bit fiddly and slow to use, but I got there in the end.

MMCS - where do I start?
The Sat Nav is woeful - as I have stated before, the Sat Nav in my 2007 Prius was far advanced of this one.
You can't touch a registered POI on the screen to plot a route there - why not?
You have to zoom in too much to see POIs, I want a more zoomed out view please.
You don't have an option to re-route around indicated TMC traffic jams - you only have an option to avoid a particular road on your route.
The automatic re-routing around traffic does work, but it has to think that the traffic ahead is stationary before it will do it.
If you ask to display the nearest petrol station - it will give you a compass reference based on North up, rather than pointing in relation to your direction of travel.
That is quite hard to work out, as you need to know which direction you are currently travelling in.
The cars USP is 148mpg - only it can't display this on the information screen on the dashboard.
It can display 3 digits on the MMCS, but it stops automatically calculating above 99mpg - why?
I did highlight a workaround early on, by changing to different units and then back again - but this is a ridiculous thing to have to do.
The scale in the environment tab is wrong, it should be in days not hours. Otherwise my car has gone from 400 - 1200ft 3 times in 3 hours whilst stationary in a car park.
I can't calibrate the altitude setting, so it's a bit pointless really.
I stopped looking at the data from my chargemaster charging point as it doesn't appear to be reliably accurate.
Making a phone call takes too long. - the quickest way is to say 'redial' but make sure you remember who you called last on your phone.
There should be a button which displays a list of favourites, which you can then select one.

Not had a good chance to use the 4x4 although it seemed to help the other day in the snow.
I use the paddles a lot, so that I am practically stationary behind cars before I have to use the foot brake.
Having a big car means I don't get bullied on the road.
Also, when cars are passing at speed on the motorway, they think twice when they clock my dashcam (in my white car).

Don't get me wrong, I really like this car. But for something with a price tag of £38,000 I would have expected better than the current MMCS
Would I have chosen a different car - no. The savings by buying it as a company car far outweighs all the niggles and issues.
Will any of these issues be addressed at my first service? (in a couple of months) Let's see.

I have seen plenty of PHEVs now in the North West and Yorkshire - we need people power to get these issues resolved.

pheverish said:
Why do I get a 'no key recognised' alarm when a passenger enters the car after I have switched on?

I get that. It's definitely a fault. My dealer's service technician (they're not mechanics any more), agreed after trying to replicate it with two others in the workshop - they were OK. They would have booked it in for me there and then, but I didn't want to lose the car at that time, so it's on the list of "things to sort" at the first service. It doesn't worry me inside the car, but it sets off that beeping from under the back bumper outside, which somewhat annoys me.

pheverish said:

I have had this message a few times now and also today and could not workout why. And now looking back, when it did happen today and earlier in the week it was when a passenger opened the door and got in!!! Why does it do that? it stops when I pass the key back and forth over the steering wheel. Another mystery to be solved by the forum?

Sharky said:
pheverish said:

I have had this message a few times now and also today and could not workout why. And now looking back, when it did happen today and earlier in the week it was when a passenger opened the door and got in!!! Why does it do that? it stops when I pass the key back and forth over the steering wheel. Another mystery to be solved by the forum?

I've never experienced this. Guess it must be pretty frustrating though.

I raised this "KeyNotFound" message months ago. Just don't try and push the power button to fix the problem with a reset. In my first PHEV, the immobilizer was activated and the car was dead until it timed out. Not real good on the highway.

The problem with my PHEV went away after a Mitsubishi Rep drove the car for a day. He never said what he did, but the problem did not return. Maybe you need to bash the centre console a bit, as it could be a problem with a connector and the proximity sensor in the key slot.

I have to concur with most of your points with the MMCS. I have many more gripes with it.

It is a shame that the software user interface is soooo poor.

I have now clocked up almost 20000km since mid June'14 in 3 PHEV's and can conclude that software lets the cars down. Luckily this does not impact too much with the mechanicals and general driving. I do notice the power steering has a fair bit of lag when trying to quickly negotiate a tight parking space.

Sharky said:
pheverish said:

I got in the car this morning placed the key in the key slot, started up everything fine. Then my son opened the rear passenger door to put his bag in and before he opened the front passenger door I got the message "Key not recognised". Did the pass the key over the steering wheel thing and the message disappeared!!!!! is the car really not seeing the key? if that was the case, I would then not be able to drive off, which I can do while the message is still there!? I have not tried it yet but once you press start and the car says it is ready, if you removed the key away from the car can it still be driven? Interesting!!!!

Sharky said:
...once you press start and the car says it is ready, if you removed the key away from the car can it still be driven? Interesting!!!!
Kiss your girl goodbye and send her on a one way trip to the mall... :lol:

Andy123 said:
I thought the car was keyless (i.e. you don't have to put the key anywhere)?

I leave the key either in my coat pocket or in the center front bottle holders and have never had such messages even when passengers enter.

Andy123 said:
I thought the car was keyless (i.e. you don't have to put the key anywhere)?

It is in the sense that you don't have to insert a key, but the key fob does have to be in the car. Where I find that you need to be a bit careful is if you share the car with another driver - wife, for the sake of argument. My wife carries a key around in her handbag, and I take her to the railway station most mornings. I have, on at least one occasion, forgotten to pick up my key and the car has started on the strength of her key in her bag - I have been very glad of all the dongs and boings that it sounds when the key leaves the vehicle.

I haven't checked yet if it is possible to drive the car after the key has disappeared, provided it had been started properly. Either way, it would be a recipe for problems if it didn't make a lot of fuss about it - if I let my wife wander off with the only key and didn't realise that she had done so, there would be a risk that, instead of driving straight home, I carried on to the supermarket to pick up breakfast and found myself with a car that I could neither lock, nor restart.

Yep, have the same on my current car - but someone was mentioning putting it in a slot?

Andy123 said:
Yep, have the same on my current car - but someone was mentioning putting it in a slot?

There is a slot beneath the air conditioning controls that can take the key fob, but there does not seem to be any practical benefit from putting it there...

maby said:
Andy123 said:

There is a slot beneath the air conditioning controls that can take the key fob, but there does not seem to be any practical benefit from putting it there...

Oh but there is. If you leave it in there when you turn the power off it beeps and reminds you to take the key out the slot!

Regulo said:
It can also "read" the key, if the battery in the key is flat. (If I recall the manual correctly from the back of my tiny brain)
Correct. If your fob battery is dead you can use the physical key inside the fob to unlock the car and then place the fob in the slot and the car will read it, enabling you to start.

Titan said:
Regulo said:
It can also "read" the key, if the battery in the key is flat. (If I recall the manual correctly from the back of my tiny brain)
Correct. If your fob battery is dead you can use the physical key inside the fob to unlock the car and then place the fob in the slot and the car will read it, enabling you to start.

yep, that's the same on all keyless cars I've driven - but I was a bit confused when somebody upthread was talking about putting the key in the slot as if that's what you do normally.

Titan said:
Regulo said:

I wonder if putting it in the slot stops it draining the internal battery in normal use? It notices pretty quickly that the fob has left the car, so it must be handshaking quite frequently - that must impose quite a drain on the battery.

In reply to marby regarding walking off with the key. Some time ago we had (Wife's Car) a Renault Laguna with keyless entry. One day the wife dropped me off in town I got out and disappeared around the corner not realising I had the key in my pocket, as I got into the pub I got a call "the car won't go and is making lots of bleeping noises and asking for a Key" so back out I went and sneakily placed the key back in the car and proclaimed I'd fixed it ;)

As for the key slot, it has become habit to pace it in there if it's not in my pocket, but thankfully it tells you when you open the door that you have not removed it.

maby said:
I wonder if putting it in the slot stops it draining the internal battery in normal use? It notices pretty quickly that the fob has left the car, so it must be handshaking quite frequently - that must impose quite a drain on the battery.
Technically it could be done.
Technically it could even be made in a way, that it actually recharges the battery of the key.
But none of the above will be implemented any time soon... :(

Back