24hr test drive of PHEV Outlander VRX (in NZ) - Now 48hr...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dilski

So after arranging some warranty work on my 2013 2.4 Petrol VRX I managed to arrange a loan of a PHEV, 2016, Cherry Black VRX model.

Here are a few of my observations and comparisons.

1) The dealer was as good as useless. After specifically asking for them to pair my phone so I could try the remote app they didn’t! I got the opinion that they couldn’t care less. I had no handover, no instructions and was just given the keys. Just prior to leaving I did check to see if there was a charging cable… There wasn't so had to go back in and wait for them to find one.

2) First Impressions. The update has some subtle changes but generally the same as my older petrol version. Lost some of the upfront storage, lots of blanking switches (5 I think) and some nicer trim to the door cards, but generally the same on the inside. On the outside the refreshed face looks nice but have to question the high use of non-led bulbs all around the vehicle as question are the headlights FULL LED or is it just the DRL's as the light pattern is no different to my Xeon lights, plus why state LED then have halogen bulb for the dipper beam, this really is poor when the battery version is a $10k premium on my petrol version.

3) Driving, here is a big noticeable difference, I read a lot at how slow people think the PHEV is, well it is certainly quicker to 100kmph than my petrol and much quieter as well. So more responsive. Suspension feels harsher and a lot crashier, maybe weight of the vehicle. I'm running 19"s 245/45 on the petrol and certainly a better ride.

4) EV use, my purpose of the test was to start this morning on a full charge and see if I could get to work, which is 28km away and a mix of residential urban and motorway driving (max speed here is 100kph). Although only 28k's it can take upto an hour on some days. I preheated the car as I leave at 6.30am and it was a mild 17deg. Cost to charge overnight was $1.20 as my off rate is 20c/kwh.

The charger was also set through the complicated on board screen along with the heating and noticed some limitations like can only select either heat, cool, demist. This limits me as would need heating in the am and cooling when on charge before I leave work. Not sure if a work around on this other than using the app and keep changing it? (how far does the app work from the car?)

Driving to work, I managed to get 99% EV driving and an average of 0.3l/110km. I think I would have been 100% EV if I hadn't have put my foot down to get past a HGV before my exit off the motorway. Max I had the ACC was set to was 105km/hr (prob at this speed for a few minutes). So for an efficient commute to work on EV only works a treat.

My reverse journey is still yet to happen, but the cars on charge at work so theoretically speaking I could have a 100% EV commute each day to work.

What I did notice though was the lack of heat in the car, had the climate set to 23deg with aircon off and had little heat and hands were getting slightly chilly. Should they have put some form of heating element in on EV to warm passengers? Seams pointless starting the ICE to warm when I can do the whole commute on EV. Auckland is a temperate climate but still need some heat through winter!

Overall so far I know my commute costs would be marginal other than electric at home. Am I convinced to spend the money not yet. I think another few iterations of the model, the need for NZ model to have premium sounds and a rapid charger point installed to make it worthwhile. We have no tax breaks, congestion charges or EV lanes to make it standout. We do have 85% green energy through hydro, geo etc so far mo9re greener than a UK example with Coal/Gas powered charging.

I did manage to get a charge at the car park whilst at the gym though, if this was a rapid charge then I'd have got to 80% in the time I was there.

Charging in downtown Auckland whilst at the gym. Next to me was a Nissan Leaf and there is only two spaces available for EV charging. Rarely used.

Economy and reaming charge when arrived at work, although fairly cold journey with no engine heat!!

On charge at work. Charger needs work with nothing to hang it up with t prevent loading on the plug!

Nice write-up. Shame your Government are not as supportive as that certainly would have made a difference in your decision, I am sure. So, considering that you could probably get between 75% and 99.9999% on EV what would be the spend on petrol costs for the year for your commute? Would that make a difference to your decision?

Jeff

jthspace said:
Nice write-up. Shame your Government are not as supportive as that certainly would have made a difference in your decision, I am sure. So, considering that you could probably get between 75% and 99.9999% on EV what would be the spend on petrol costs for the year for your commute? Would that make a difference to your decision?

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I'm lucky that I managed to keep the vehicle for a second night so got to commute home again on a partial charge and recharge overnight. Avg on journey home was 1.4l/100km and 97% EV.

Back to work again today and the result were 100% EV driving and left it in normal with the A/C on all the way, lights on for part of the journey as well.
E4C89EB2-7AAD-42D7-A9C9-7C31FFA6F620_zpshegcletm.jpg

Journey was 28.7km and a remaining of 12km, total of around 41km possible. I think it started at 46km when I first left and then turned the AC on.

Things I've noticed in comparing, no AVG Speed function, not been able to get sat nav guidance into the instrument binnacle display, no engine temp (would this be useful to see interior heating capability?) the sound system is cr@p and we have no premium sounds option in NZ (my old model outlander had Rockford system).

If MMNZ ever see this and want to sell this as a premium vehicle then the following would be a benefit:
1) Install fast charging
2) Create a premium spec including options such as premium sounds, heated wheel, blind spot, lane departure, full LED lighting, puddle lighting, electro mechanical park brake
3) make it stand out more than the petrol/diesel equivalents
4) lobby government hard for access to subsidies and grants as well as a zero road licencing and access to transit lanes.

For me the sounds, fast charging and no benefit to owning one is a deal breaker.

2.4 Petrol Annual commute cost would be $2,500
PHEV Charge costs approx. $350
Saving $2,150
Additional cost over petrol model, $10,000

giving an approx. 4.65 year pay back. Is it worth it?

dilski said:
jthspace said:

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I'm lucky that I managed to keep the vehicle for a second night so got to commute home again on a partial charge and recharge overnight. Avg on journey home was 1.4l/100km and 97% EV.

Back to work again today and the result were 100% EV driving and left it in normal with the A/C on all the way, lights on for part of the journey as well.

Journey was 28.7km and a remaining of 12km, total of around 41km possible. I think it started at 46km when I first left and then turned the AC on.

Things I've noticed in comparing, no AVG Speed function, not been able to get sat nav guidance into the instrument binnacle display, no engine temp (would this be useful to see interior heating capability?) the sound system is cr@p and we have no premium sounds option in NZ (my old model outlander had Rockford system).

If MMNZ ever see this and want to sell this as a premium vehicle then the following would be a benefit:
1) Install fast charging
2) Create a premium spec including options such as premium sounds, heated wheel, blind spot, lane departure, full LED lighting, puddle lighting, electro mechanical park brake
4) lobby government hard for access to subsidies and grants as well as a zero road licencing and access to transit lanes.

For me the sounds, fast charging and no benefit to owning one is a deal breaker.

Saving $2,150

Well, if it's all about "payback", you probably should not bother................

dilski said:
Thanks Jeff,

Probably not, unless you fell totally in love with the car; but it is obvious that for the premium price, you are not getting a premium product - I would mark the experience of having an EV car for a few days as a bit of fun and keep an eye out for a revised model at some stage that meets your expectations!

In the UK, I could write off all of my Corporate Tax for the year against the cost of the car so it made absolute sense to buy it as I got a +35k car for very little money. I can put up with the little quirks at that price!

Jeff

jthspace said:
Probably not, unless you fell totally in love with the car; but it is obvious that for the premium price, you are not getting a premium product - I would mark the experience of having an EV car for a few days as a bit of fun and keep an eye out for a revised model at some stage that meets your expectations!

In the UK, I could write off all of my Corporate Tax for the year against the cost of the car so it made absolute sense to buy it as I got a +35k car for very little money. I can put up with the little quirks at that price!

Jeff

Absolutely,

The dealers over here have no idea, had a good chat with them yesterday and they make me laugh. I said if the option for fast charging was added then id by one. There comment "there isn't any infrastructure in Auckland for fast charging" so I tell them that Vector (grid supplier) already has two installed and rapidly adding more..... https://vector.co.nz/evcharging plus the charge net site adding approx 1 new site every two weeks. https://charge.net.nz/. They had no idea.!

Dealer added that a new PHEV is imminent (suspect the ASX) as indicated elsewhere. Maybe that ticks what I need.

For now, PHEV ownership is on hold.

Cheers
Dale

Interesting write up. I do think though that if you find 17 deg c chilly, that you will struggle to keep the ICE off. I never put the heating on unless I already have the engine on - we have had a fairly mild winter and I preheat when necessary and use the heated seat. Did 5 trips today at about 8 degrees and used no petrol (and I have now turned the preheat off).
Cheers
H

Hypermiler said:
Interesting write up. I do think though that if you find 17 deg c chilly, that you will struggle to keep the ICE off. I never put the heating on unless I already have the engine on - we have had a fairly mild winter and I preheat when necessary and use the heated seat. Did 5 trips today at about 8 degrees and used no petrol (and I have now turned the preheat off).
Cheers
H

Its all a matter of what you are used to. When I was last in Aukland in August 2012 (avoiding the Olympics :lol: ) i.e. winter there, we found it similar to mild spring in UK = at least as good as the weather this week in London (and much like it was during the Games, as I understand :lol: )

dilski said:
jthspace said:

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

1) Install fast charging

Saving $2,150

Not sure about fast charging. Over here we have about 25.000 PHEVs with a ChaDeMo socket and a fair number of fast charging stations, I don't think there is one PHEV owner using them. Nobody is going to stop every 40 Km to charge for 20 minutes. At a price comparable to petrol at best too.
The only reason they are used in the UK is because they are subsidized to the point of being free. Everybody likes to get something for nothing. ;)

Not sure about fast charging. Over here we have about 25.000 PHEVs with a ChaDeMo socket and a fair number of fast charging stations, I don't think there is one PHEV owner using them. Nobody is going to stop every 40 Km to charge for 20 minutes. At a price comparable to petrol at best too.
The only reason they are used in the UK is because they are subsidized to the point of being free. Everybody likes to get something for nothing. ;)

Fast charging is currently free here too and with free parking you can charge up and save at the same time in downtown Auckland locations. Makes it all worth while.

I wouldn't stop for 40mins just to charge, that's senseless, I would park and charge and know on my return wouldn't have to pay for parking or the charge!! win/win

Long may it last; Over here free charging did not survive the increase of electric vehicles to a significant number. Fast charging was never free; Tesla and Leaf owners are a captive audience.

Back