Actual cost to charge

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if I am paying 14.25 pence per kwh for electric, on the screen on the PHEV where it asks for the KW cost to charge, am I right in putting in £0.14 i.e. is it asking for the price per kwh? If not, how would I work out or where would I find the price per kw?

having checked it again tonight it seems right. About 90p a day or thereabout to charge (add the extra .25 of a penny that it won't calculate and it'll be about £1.10 per day or thereabouts).

apyds said:
having checked it again tonight it seems right. About 90p a day or thereabout to charge (add the extra .25 of a penny that it won't calculate and it'll be about £1.10 per day or thereabouts).
Wouldn't that be 90.25p? You might be saving more than you thought.

Mine had the first full charge last night from empty (whatever that is, 20% i think) to full. I looked this morning on chargevision and it is saying the charge was 12.11kw. Now i have checked my elec tariff with First Utility and it is 13.194p/kw so if the figures are to be believed it cost me £1.60 to charge it. I used it this morning and managed about 25miles on electricty to that works out at 6.39p/mile on elec.

My diesel Audi was averaging 46mpg, so at a cost of £1.35 per litre it's cost was £13.35p/mile. Now there is no way i can do everything in Elec mode as i do about 25k per annum but it will be interesting to see what I achieve. I'm already saving £150 per month on BIK!

Change your electricity tariff over to economy 7 night rate which varies with different suppliers is about 7p a unit, so a 12kw charge 84p even better miles per pence cost!!!

Peter said:
Change your electricity tariff over to economy 7 night rate which varies with different suppliers is about 7p a unit, so a 12kw charge 84p even better miles per pence cost!!!

Probably true, but anyone changing to Economy 7 does need to look carefully at their pattern of usage and the fine details of the tariff. Many suppliers give you half price electricity over night, but add a significant supplement to your daytime rate. In our case, we operate an IT company from the house and have a small computer room running downstairs - we have a significant electricity consumption 24x7 - I've done the sums and with the Outlander we would still make some savings by going to Economy 7 but not as much as you might think at first sight.

Hi
Yes I would agree that you have to look at the rates of the various providers. I must admit I am a bit old school and have never gone into the prices or shopped around, but the thought of the new car has focused the mind. I at present pay 15.97p per unit and I have found a supplier that is charging 15.67p for the day rate (cheaper than I pay now) and 6.67p for the night rate, the new suppliers standing charge is slightly higher at 23 .01p compared with 18.9p but this only equates to an extra £15 a year.
In the process now of getting the existing supply to change the meter, then will change suppliers.
Looking forward to some savings in motoring costs as my car for the last 10 years which is a Lexus RS300 and has been a joy to own only returns around 23-25mpg and has a £280 road tax.
Happy days ahead I hope!!
Peter

Fergee said:
Mine had the first full charge last night from empty (whatever that is, 20% i think) to full. I looked this morning on chargevision and it is saying the charge was 12.11kw. Now i have checked my elec tariff with First Utility and it is 13.194p/kw so if the figures are to be believed it cost me £1.60 to charge it. I used it this morning and managed about 25miles on electricty to that works out at 6.39p/mile on elec.

My diesel Audi was averaging 46mpg, so at a cost of £1.35 per litre it's cost was £13.35p/mile. Now there is no way i can do everything in Elec mode as i do about 25k per annum but it will be interesting to see what I achieve. I'm already saving £150 per month on BIK!

Perfect I'm just trying to estimate my useage for the next year on my electric use for the PHEV finding this is going to help

The cost formula
Unit cost kWh x 8.4 = 70% full charge which is the max The car will charge to this information was from Mitsubishi technical support I know the battery is rated 12kw

Kevnorth said:
The cost formula
Unit cost kWh x 8.4 = 70% full charge which is the max The car will charge to this information was from Mitsubishi technical support I know the battery is rated 12kw
A full charge takes 10kw on the meter.

Fragge said:
Kevnorth said:
The cost formula
A full charge takes 10kw on the meter.
Just another reference point. I don't fully discharge the battery often but when I did I used a power meter (13A socket) to measure the power used and got 12.2KWh. I fully agree only about 70% of the battery is usable so using 12KWh to put in 8KWh is quite inefficient (if my numbers are true). On average, since my battery is rarely totally deplated and I often top up during the day, I have averaged 10KWh of actual daily use.
I have also just changed to SainsuberysEnergy as they were the cheapest combined and charge at 9.5p (ish) per unit (not Eco7).
Kind regards,
Mark

Back