and my latest little niggle is...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogsetc

The window lock button :evil:

On every other car I have had, pressing the window lock button prevents rear seat passengers (ie. kids) from opening and closing windows, BUT allows the driver to operate all windows from the 'master' switch.

But not the PHEV.

Depressing the window lock button prevents all the passenger windows from being operated by anyone INCLUDING THE DRIVER. Why?

My kids are beyond the age when fighting over control of the windows was a problem, but if they were 5 years younger this would be a right royal PITA.

This is the first Japanese car I've had so I'm starting to wonder if it's a cultural thing that so many little things seem to be counter-intuitive. Perhaps Japanese kids are well behaved and never mess with the window switches? There again, if that's the case, why bother with a window lock switch at all? :?

Rant over (for now!)

maddogsetc said:
The window lock button :evil:

On every other car I have had, pressing the window lock button prevents rear seat passengers (ie. kids) from opening and closing windows, BUT allows the driver to operate all windows from the 'master' switch.

But not the PHEV.

Depressing the window lock button prevents all the passenger windows from being operated by anyone INCLUDING THE DRIVER. Why?

My kids are beyond the age when fighting over control of the windows was a problem, but if they were 5 years younger this would be a right royal PITA.

This is the first Japanese car I've had so I'm starting to wonder if it's a cultural thing that so many little things seem to be counter-intuitive. Perhaps Japanese kids are well behaved and never mess with the window switches? There again, if that's the case, why bother with a window lock switch at all? :?

Rant over (for now!)
Is it a little niggle or a rant, now come on and make up your mind!!

Seriously though, I've just been out in the rain to check our car. You can still operate the drivers window when the lock button is pressed. You are right though, the button completely disables the others.

Not had this on my two Shoguns, or my Subaru. Have you checked it's not programmable in the car's settings?

Well, individually it's a niggle. But I've said before the list of little niggles is getting bigger. So together they constitute cause for a rant.

No I haven't checked the manual. Might do one day if I can be bothered.

Must be a Japanese thing then. Begs the question, what is the purpose of the switch, if even the driver has to 'unlock' the windows before he or she can open/close them?

I guess it is a bit simple minded. I use it when we're travelling with our cat (yes, he comes sailing with us...) - he sits on the back seat and sometimes gets bored. He has been known to stand up looking out of the window with his front feet on the arm-rest and has opened the window once or twice...

MHS said:
maby said:
I use it when we're travelling with our cat (yes, he comes sailing with us...) .
All you need now is an owl and a beautiful pea-green boat. Does he/she have good sea-legs?

:)
He's a fair-weather sailor - happy sunbathing on the foredeck in the middle of the summer, but retreats to the cabin at the first sign of rough weather.

Back