Australians down under

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoppy said:
Regarding this recall I went to my local dealer and they said not to book it in as there has been a recall on the recall. Anyone actually had the recall work (new spark plugs and SW upgrade) done?
I received the recall notice Friday 30/6/17). When I called early morning on Monday 3/7/17 to book it in my dealer's service dept said the recall was "suspended". I left an email request marked URGENT through the MMAL website early the same day and had had no response by late afternoon so I phoned the Head Office in SA. The bloke I spoke to said the update caused more problems than it solved and that engine cut-in was lengthened to 6 seconds from the original 2 seconds. When I asked if it was safe to take on a long trip he said it was up to me! Great, not.

I still have not had any response to my email request four days later, and that is just poor customer service. Looks like their email inbox is just a black hole :roll:

Bugger.

And here I am, post-recall service...

The software seems to take a fraction longer to boot up, and this had led me to accidentally putting the car into an error state.

i.e. Hit the start button, at the usual time, try to select drive, car goes into weird state.

Took me a while to realise that I had accidentally put the car into "neutral" before it had finished booting up, and this prevented it from "starting".

Once I actually read the error message on screen, and put the car back into "park", I was able to proceed as normal.

I wonder if I'm going to get a recall recall...

:?

Ok seems like my dealer was right then in telling me to hold off on getting the recall done. My car is 2 years old and seems to be going fine. One thing I noticed especially now its winter is the regenerative braking doesnt seem to work for first minute or so of driving until something warms up! ie if I flick to B5 within a minute of starting it doesnt seem to slow the car down. Anyone else notice this?

Hoppy said:
Ok seems like my dealer was right then in telling me to hold off on getting the recall done. My car is 2 years old and seems to be going fine. One thing I noticed especially now its winter is the regenerative braking doesnt seem to work for first minute or so of driving until something warms up! ie if I flick to B5 within a minute of starting it doesnt seem to slow the car down. Anyone else notice this?
With a (near) full battery, there is no place to store regenerated energy. So, no or very little energy is regenerated, until you create a hole in the battery. Which will take a couple of minutes of driving. Nothing to do with winter.

ozjaydear said:
Hoppy said:
Regarding this recall I went to my local dealer and they said not to book it in as there has been a recall on the recall. Anyone actually had the recall work (new spark plugs and SW upgrade) done?
I received the recall notice Friday 30/6/17). When I called early morning on Monday 3/7/17 to book it in my dealer's service dept said the recall was "suspended". I left an email request marked URGENT through the MMAL website early the same day and had had no response by late afternoon so I phoned the Head Office in SA. The bloke I spoke to said the update caused more problems than it solved and that engine cut-in was lengthened to 6 seconds from the original 2 seconds. When I asked if it was safe to take on a long trip he said it was up to me! Great, not.

I still have not had any response to my email request four days later, and that is just poor customer service. Looks like their email inbox is just a black hole :roll:

Had a call from my service place today and they said the recall is sorted now, so, I booked it in for Wednesday.
From what you describe, it seems that where a car is used mainly on battery and is driven so the engine comes on frequently, but only in short bursts, never warming up, the plugs may eventually foul.
Now, I wonder if there is more of a delay before the engine comes on or will it stay on for longer every time it starts.
Guess I will find out soon.....

Thanks, HHL, you and your vehicle are elected guinea pig for the version 2 recall software .. please let us know how it goes.

Cool, and I can be the guinea pig for the type 1 recall software.

(Still wondering if they'll call me back in, I'm betting not.)

Andy

hello!

Mitsubishi have delayed my recall work - said they would contact us later.

Just another thing - what sort of mileage have people got up to? Anyone had to change the original tyres yet? Im up to 34000. Just wondering how long they are lasting.

rabbit said:
hello!

Mitsubishi have delayed my recall work - said they would contact us later.

Just another thing - what sort of mileage have people got up to? Anyone had to change the original tyres yet? Im up to 34000. Just wondering how long they are lasting.

We are on just about 35000 miles and the front tyres are definitely looking tired. MOT due in a couple of months and I would not be surprised to be told that we need to replace both of them. There's plenty of tread in the middle of the surface, but around the edges I suspect that they are borderline legal.

My car has been recalled again!

This confirms the information that others have received about there being problems with the recall.

The most important part of the message:

Our parent company Mitsubishi Motors Corporation has now informed us that the software originally used in your vehicle, had a deficiency that can cause the problems listed below.

• The time taken to enter "Ready mode" is prolonged.
    "Ready mode" and or "Power off" mode may not be possible, due to a time out error with the electrical parking brake system

The first one I've seen, I've had to change my habits because the car was taking longer to boot up.

Oh well, time talk to the dealer again to have the software updated again.

:)

Andy

Had mine done today. Took under 2 hours, including a map update.
Did not notice any difference in the way the car behaves.

I can't believe it, I've had a call from Mitsubishi to say that head office has stopped the recall - recall!

:lol:

HHL said:

HHL,

Did they throw in the Map update?

I asked this very question when booking for the recall, pointing out the time I would need to invest in getting the car to and from their workshop for them to fix THEIR mistake. The service man was very huffy "we are fixing your car for you, we do not give out free stuff".

The new generation companies such as Tesla really are going to wipe the floor with these legacy manufacturers.

crustovich said:
HHL said:

HHL,

Did they throw in the Map update?

I asked this very question when booking for the recall, pointing out the time I would need to invest in getting the car to and from their workshop for them to fix THEIR mistake. The service man was very huffy "we are fixing your car for you, we do not give out free stuff".

The new generation companies such as Tesla really are going to wipe the floor with these legacy manufacturers.

The map update was free. I specifically asked for it, as my "free" update period expires in September.
Some time ago I emailed MMA about this (included VIN number), and they confirmed in an email that I was entitled to updates until that date, so I figured it was best to get it done with the recall, which they did. The new map is dated 2016!, previous one was 2015.
It also stated on the invoice that it was done and mentioned that it was a "$150.00 value".

I noticed with the update that the engine runs much longer the first time it starts cold (perhaps 10 seconds), whereas before it could come on for as little as maybe 3 seconds. Other than that, I have noticed no difference in the way the car behaves.

Hmm...

The dealership which services my car, has called to cancel the recall-recall.

They've advised that Mitsubishi have put a hold on that second recall (to fix the software uploaded in the first recall).

Still trying to get further info.

Andy

PS. My map update was within the "free" period.
PPS. Car manufacturers really, really hate the dealers, because of stunts like trying to charge for free updates.

AndyInOz said:
PPS. Car manufacturers really, really hate the dealers, because of stunts like trying to charge for free updates.

And I'm sure dealers hate manufacturers for getting them to work for free.
I think this is why the Tesla direct model is so effective, and why Tesla do OTA upgrades wherever possible. It saves the customer doing a pointless trip into the dealership where you are forced to see the latest model of your once-favourite car so you might get an idea about updating via a really low trade-in.

Back