ChaDeMo reduced my charge capacity!?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kljasdfbkjaaalke

Had my phev for a month. In the beginning I got 52 km per charge.
Then I charged a couple of times with ChaDeMo at a public charge station.
Now I only get 42 km per charge.

Am I correct when I suspect ChaDeMo to be the culprit!?

kljasdfbkjaaalke said:
Had my phev for a month. In the beginning I got 52 km per charge.
Then I charged a couple of times with ChaDeMo at a public charge station.
Now I only get 42 km per charge.

Am I correct when I suspect ChaDeMo to be the culprit!?

I would have thought it more likely that the car is getting used to your driving pattern and style, and adjusting the EV range down accordingly, especially with the added cold weather recently. Eveyone's EV range is down as we're using heating, lighting, etc, more.

Are you talking about estimated range or range actually achieved? While it is certainly the case that cold weather will significantly reduce your EV range, if you have only had the car for one month, I would doubt that the weather has changed that much over that period. The estimates of EV range displayed are notoriously inaccurate, so ignore them - if you think there may be something wrong, you really need to count the miles (or kilometres) till the battery runs flat.

There certainly are warnings that excessive use of ChaDeMo can harm your battery, but the suggestion is that this will only be a risk after a significant number of charges - I don't think anyone would anticipate a noticeable degradation in a month even with almost daily ChaDeMo charging.

What Maby says. The only way to keep track of the battery condition is to have the capacity measured at service intervals

You only get 80% charge from a Rapid charger - which would account for a reduction in estimated range

Thanks greendwarf but my numbers are from charging at home to 100%.
The first weeks I got an estimate of over 50 km but after two ChaDeMo charge occasions I only get 42 km when charging at home up to 100%.

But like stated previosly in this thread I guess it all has to do with the cars insufficience to calculate more accurate.

Gonna check km meter instead.

kljasdfbkjaaalke said:
The first weeks I got an estimate of over 50 km but after two ChaDeMo charge occasions I only get 42 km when charging at home up to 100%.

But like stated previosly in this thread I guess it all has to do with the cars insufficience to calculate more accurate.

Be realistic when you do that - it is the middle of the winter (I assume you are somewhere in northern Europe?). The 52km range is very much the upper limit under ideal conditions - I've only come close to it once - in warm weather, lightly loaded, driving quite slowly on flat and relatively empty roads. At the moment, in southern England driving normally in moderate traffic with ambient temperatures around 5 degrees, I reckon I'm doing well to get 20 miles - 32 km...

kljasdfbkjaaalke said:
Keep in mind, normal engines perform more efficiently under higher loads. As a result, the effect of driving faster is less than you would expect based upon the increased air resistance. For e-motors, the power consumption per kilometer is much more speed related than it is with a normal car.

anko said:
kljasdfbkjaaalke said:
Keep in mind, normal engines perform more efficiently under higher loads. As a result, the effect of driving faster is less than you would expect based upon the increased air resistance. For e-motors, the power consumption per kilometer is much more speed related than it is with a normal car.

I'll second that. You will also notice more of a difference based on loading - each extra passenger or extra pound (or kilo) of luggage will show up more in the fuel consumption that it would in a similar size diesel car.

kljasdfbkjaaalke said:

But as its an estimate based on past usage then presumably the 80% charges will have reduced the car's expectation of what you can get?

Back