Drive battery degradation. It just is not a problem IMHO.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Trex,

Welcome back

I have been following this channel on Youtube, where Andy from Australia has been trying to test and address this very issue issue.

Hope I can post this Link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OrAFZeuRTo

Hope you find Andy's Videos as interesting to watch and follow as I do.

I pick up my 2018 PHEV GT model tomorrow.

Can hardly wait.

Trex said:
Hi all,

I have been away for awhile (nearly a year) but have dropped back to mainly fix up the Technical graphs and images downloads over in the Technical Discussions section.
But I have noticed there is quite a bit of chatter in some sections of this forum about drive battery degradation. This I would like to discuss with you.

Now I started a thread nearly a year ago over in the technical discussions titled "Drive battery degradation . Houston, do we have a problem?" see http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2937 and I come back
here and find it now over 16 pages long. :eek: That in itself is not a problem as I think we should discuss these issues as that what these forums are for.

But now I see forum members actively bringing up drive battery degradation when a new member turns up as though to warn them that it is a big problem
for the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. This I totally refute.

Now lets get one thing clear. All batteries degrade over time even Tesla's or BMW. Just like everything else degrades over time including ourselves. Thats life.
But unless you have a Tesla or any other EV and had the right monitoring software you cannot claim that the PHEV's drive battery is worse than the others.

Now as an aside to hopefully put some people's minds at ease I am heading towards 4 years of ownership of my PHEV and have regularly done actual driving tests
to see whether I can measure an actual decrease in the actual range.

The answer is maybe. The last test I did I went from around the 51, 52kms down to 48kms. But I also got pulled over by the police twice (big alcohol and drug testing weekend)
that probably skewed the result. But even if it is right our family never uses the full battery quantity in everyday use. So it is not a deal breaker.

So the point is if we did not have the monitoring software that shows up this "degradation" most of us would not notice it in our everyday use and when we do if we still
own our PHEVs there will be options available to renew our drive batteries.

So please lets take a step back and chill about this please. I would even suggest turning off your OBDT-II software and putting on some good music and enjoy the bloody
car. After all it is a marvellous bit of kit.

But that is just my opinion. :cool: :)

Regards Trex.

I've been driving the outlander for more than 120.000 km and about 80 % of that was electric. I fully recharged the battery twice on a regular working day.

I'm a very conscious driver. Partly because I'm worried about climate change but also because my boss pays for the electricity and I have to pay for the petrol. So I pay close attention to the battery performance every drive.

Since the last 4 months I noticed a steep decline in battery performance and not only because of the winter. Compared to earlier winters it has definitely less range. I'm now getting only 25 km and that is without AC and in close distance to large vehicles while driving.

I also noticed that earlier when I complete empty the battery and then charge it only receives 6-7 kwh whereas a year ago it would still be 10 kwh.

What do you recommend me to do? The car is from feb 2014.
I'm dutch, btw.

PHEV07 said:
Hi Trex,

Welcome back

I have been following this channel on Youtube, where Andy from Australia has been trying to test and address this very issue issue.

Hope I can post this Link.

Hope you find Andy's Videos as interesting to watch and follow as I do.

I pick up my 2018 PHEV GT model tomorrow.

Can hardly wait.

Hi PHEV07,

Sorry been tied up with work.

Yes I have seen some of his videos when one of my sons noticed him on Youtube last year. "Andy" is definitely not from Australia from memory. I think he is from Germany and moved here recently. He seemed too worry too much about things and "whinging" for my liking. I remember watching him going to a beach near where I live and saying things like "Oh, don't know whether the PHEV can go on here" or something to that effect. We have gone on the same beach in 2wds when we were younger going surfing. :lol:
Now I am spoilt with 4wds. :oops:

I guess he will learn.

But he also the same bloke that did have something like 20% so called "degradation" or some such and had it "pumped" back up to close to 100% from memory.

And then he was still worrying. :roll:

Regards Trex.

marcel said:
I've been driving the outlander for more than 120.000 km and about 80 % of that was electric. I fully recharged the battery twice on a regular working day.

I'm a very conscious driver. Partly because I'm worried about climate change but also because my boss pays for the electricity and I have to pay for the petrol. So I pay close attention to the battery performance every drive.

Since the last 4 months I noticed a steep decline in battery performance and not only because of the winter. Compared to earlier winters it has definitely less range. I'm now getting only 25 km and that is without AC and in close distance to large vehicles while driving.

I also noticed that earlier when I complete empty the battery and then charge it only receives 6-7 kwh whereas a year ago it would still be 10 kwh.

What do you recommend me to do? The car is from feb 2014.
I'm dutch, btw.
Hi Marcel,
Get it to your dealer and get it tested would be my suggestion. It may be just 1 bad cell out of 80 but I would be just guessing.

Regards Trex.

Trex said:
I think he is from Germany and moved here recently. He seemed too worry too much about things and "whinging" for my liking.

So not just Poms "whinging" - and they don't even attempt to play cricket! :lol:

greendwarf said:
Trex said:
I think he is from Germany and moved here recently. He seemed too worry too much about things and "whinging" for my liking.

So not just Poms "whinging" - and they don't even attempt to play cricket! :lol:

:lol:

Yea, must be something in the water or :idea: is it the cold temps from birth over there?

Should do a thesis on it. :geek: :lol:

Back