Emergency Boost Battery

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would seem it should - but earlier in the year, I drove home, all O.K.

Next morning, battery was flat as a pancake, had to call Mitsu to "jump-start" (figuratively speaking). Nothing was powered up or running, no lights left on. When I asked the guy who came, he said he had been called to a few of these unexplained flat batteries in Outlanders. So, bought the Boost battery "just in case". For £28 worth it as I can also use it for charging phones etc.

I have seen one of these batteries in action last year. I am a member of a fishing club/venue and as such its not uncommon at the end of the day for people on returning to their car/vans to find the battery flat, due to lots of reasons; tail gaits left open, old cars, etc.... so we keep jump leads in the cabin/office. However last year one guy had a very similar looking device and started his friends car with it and then went on to star another (both diesel), half an hour later without a recharge. We were all impressed with it, I did ask for details but he received it as a gift an did not know where they got it from. So thanks folks I now know where I can get one.

Tipper said:
I thought the auxiliary battery charged from the traction battery every day at 1400 or some such?

Why would you need this back-up battery when there is all that power sitting there waiting to be used?
Only for models with REMOTE wifi network. And even then, it is quite possible to drain the 12v battery in between. And once drained, this mechanism will not work anymore ....

Be aware that LiPo batteries are quite flammable under wrong circumstances. If stored fully charged over a long period of time they can swell and burst (if the battery containment breaks it will become a fireball, google "lipo fire" ).

I do a bit of RC car racing and we use LiPo batteries. At the track it is mandatory to charge the batteries in a fire proof container (usually a kevlar bag) to contain a possible fire (I have seen a few).

I would be reluctant to store a device with a large LiPo in my car for long periods of time due to the risks, the fact that it's a cheap Chinese one dosen't help.

LiIon batteries are a bit more stable and not as prone to catch fire.

Back