EV System Service Required and stuck in Park.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirtec

Re: EV System Service Required, I have just purchased a MaxiDiag Elite Md802 all system +DS and updated it with the hope that it can clear the above fault, it can see the faults in the Phev folder but this message is displayed when erase pressed “ This Module is Not Supported”. I understand this is a common fault on Phev’s if connected to a charger it doesn’t like and it locks the gearbox in Park and unable to move the car, I wanted to keep a scanner with me so I don’t get stuck somewhere, is there a pending update to sort this fault or should I return this scanner, does anyone know of another scanner that can sort this problem.

One of the stickies in the General Forum above states

"Hold the gear lever to the right, keep the hand brake and foot brake on and then press the start key"

Good luck!

Sirtec said:
Re: EV System Service Required, I have just purchased a MaxiDiag Elite Md802 all system +DS and updated it with the hope that it can clear the above fault, it can see the faults in the Phev folder but this message is displayed when erase pressed “ This Module is Not Supported”. I understand this is a common fault on Phev’s if connected to a charger it doesn’t like and it locks the gearbox in Park and unable to move the car, I wanted to keep a scanner with me so I don’t get stuck somewhere, is there a pending update to sort this fault or should I return this scanner, does anyone know of another scanner that can sort this problem.

The real solution for present is: don't interrupt a rapid charge. Or even: don't use rapid chargers ( it is not really very good for battery life anyway)

Torque PRO, the android version with a WiFi OBD adapter was able to clear all error messages on my PHEV. I had power steering, EV service, ABS, RBS, ASC, check engine etc. Christmas tree dash. Torque showed the errors. Have had PHEV serviced since, and no errors were seen by Mitsi diagnostics. Best $30 spent on my PHEV so far. Have Torque on my phone, and the adapter now stays plugged in, as it has a power button on it.

BTW, the peak demands on the battery during high regen, is 40-50kW. This is probably higher than a fast charger, and battery life will suffer if a driver style maximizes regen.

Is it wise to clear the logs? At service the car is hooked up to the computer and the error logs are used to analyze the firmware performance and reset and update as required. In my case the car developed an error in the FCM system, resulting in a spontaneous braking action, which required a two-hour hookup to the Factory system to analyze the fault and repair the bugs found.

The use of the fast chargers has known problems that lock the car up.

If I was stuck with a known cause and I had a way of getting going again, I would clear the fault. If the fault re-appears soon, then maybe wait for service.

Mitsi bring out a new model with new firmware but I haven't seen a firmware update on any service record for my PHEV. Probably not backward upgradeable. GPS map was updated but this is not a generic PHEV component.

gwatpe said:
Torque PRO, the android version with a WiFi OBD adapter was able to clear all error messages on my PHEV. I had power steering, EV service, ABS, RBS, ASC, check engine etc. Christmas tree dash. Torque showed the errors.
Maybe you got lucky. What if you would have had an error in BMU or GMU or any other ECU that TP does not know about, TP would not have seen the error and most likely not have been able to clear them either.

I have seen errors that where found by my iCarsoft handheld scanner, but could not be cleared by same scanner.

You have an OBD scanner. Could such a scanner clear a full lockup like the OP suggests? I rather doubt it.
Judging by other lockups of other digital systems it may be that Mitsubishi has to disconnect the 300 V battery. Come to think of it, maybe it would work to disconnect and reconnect the 12V battery. At least worth trying if one is stuck.

My PHEV cannot be fast charged, so won't be worrying about that particular problem. Will have to wait for errors in the systems that Torque PRO cannot see to see what happens. Is it possible that the dash can only display certain errors and these can be cleared by Torque PRO.

gwatpe said:
The use of the fast chargers has known problems that lock the car up.

If I was stuck with a known cause and I had a way of getting going again, I would clear the fault. If the fault re-appears soon, then maybe wait for service.

Mitsi bring out a new model with new firmware but I haven't seen a firmware update on any service record for my PHEV. Probably not backward upgradeable. GPS map was updated but this is not a generic PHEV component.
Removing an entry in a log will not clear the problem.

Thanks to all for your input, the select lever, brakes and start button back door didn't work, so I will go for the Torque Pro next (fingers crossed) it will be a week+ for the Bluetooth OBD2 adapter to arrive.

Do you mean to say that your car is just sitting there with its systems blocked? :eek: If so, the only way to get it moving again is to contact a Mitsubishi dealer and have them solve the problem.

jaapv said:
Do you mean to say that your car is just sitting there with its systems blocked? :eek: If so, the only way to get it moving again is to contact a Mitsubishi dealer and have them solve the problem.

+1

I have cleared errors that I know were caused by something I did, like pulling a fuse, or connecting to OBD when powered OFF. May be an actual fault still, and this would be best to have Mitsubishi service attend to.

Yes it is stuck in my garage under the house down a steep slope, I left it for a few months while away and all the batteries completely flattened, I now understand the drive battery charges the 12v one. When stuck the previous time to load it on and off a flat bed transporter it had to be dragged and that is never going to happen again, I have two other cars so I'm not desperate to pay a Mitsu guy to do a home visit just to plug his Mut3 in and clear a code, and this could happen again so DiY is the plan.

If the 12V battery is flat it will never start. Hook it up to a 12V charger or use jump leads. If that does not work you will have to get Mitsubishi in, or leave it where it is for an archaeologist to discover in the future. DIY is not really an option. And why should you pay? The car is still under guaranty, unless you have done something to void it

Sounds like the OP is a candidate for testing the traction battery warranty replacement option. The lithium battery takes exception to being left in a heavily discharged state. Mitsubishi may refuse a warranty claim if the car was deliberately left without any provision to recharge it. Even a $5 wall timer for the cord and leaving the PHEV plugged in would be cheap insurance to not void the battery warranty.

Sirtec said:
Yes it is stuck in my garage under the house down a steep slope, I left it for a few months while away and all the batteries completely flattened, I now understand the drive battery charges the 12v one. When stuck the previous time to load it on and off a flat bed transporter it had to be dragged and that is never going to happen again, I have two other cars so I'm not desperate to pay a Mitsu guy to do a home visit just to plug his Mut3 in and clear a code, and this could happen again so DiY is the plan.
Have you managed to recharge the traction battery yet?

Try fully charging the 12V battery first, for at least 5 hours, using an external battery charger, checking it can hold at least 12.8V for an hour afterwards.
If the 12V can't hold a charge then replace it (or at least hook up another battery onto the jump terminals to get the voltage up).
Then charge the car using the 10A EVSE until the green charge light blinks so you know the traction battery is fully charged and balanced (red charge light in cabin goes off of its own accord).
Then you might stand a chance of resetting it using methods mentioned in previous posts.
If not then Mitsu are your only hope!

Good Luck!

P.S. Don't leave it too long or the lithiums will start to rot. :-(

All IMHO.

Back