EV System service required ...

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robdickinson

Picked up my 2014 phev from the dealer Tuesday, empty battery, took it for a 150km drive no problem

Charged it last night (first time) this morning it had seemed to have ~85% charge ( bar graph not full?) on the way to work 'EV SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED' came up, car was in limp mode (60km hr tops) and not running the ICE at all.

tried restarting, nothing.

Got to work and restarted and it did clear - with 15km of ev range left ( after 24 km of city driving)

So far not impressed.

I got this too on my 2014 model. Problem occurred in temperatures below -8C. First time they replaced the spark plugs as they were soaking wet and thus preventing the ICE to start. Second time a different garage retrieved an error code and decided to replace the relay which is involved in starting and stopping the ICE. This relay had sounded a bit differently lately with a somewhat "sparky" sound. The poor contact, or non contact, lead to the ICE not starting and thereby the error message came up. Hopefully everything is fine now and onward. The cost for fixing this out of warranty was "moderate"; 350 SEK for the relay, ca 1000 SEK for trouble shooting.

Thanks seems it could be many things.. It's in a 3rd party warrenty so hopefully if it happens again I can get it fixed. Fingers crossed not happening again

robdickinson said:
Picked up my 2014 phev from the dealer Tuesday, empty battery, took it for a 150km drive no problem

Charged it last night (first time) this morning it had seemed to have ~85% charge ( bar graph not full?) on the way to work 'EV SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED' came up, car was in limp mode (60km hr tops) and not running the ICE at all.

tried restarting, nothing.

Got to work and restarted and it did clear - with 15km of ev range left ( after 24 km of city driving)

So far not impressed.

Hi there and sorry for your incident happening right on the 1st drive :(
This car isn't (this) unreliable at all, based on experiences here and there, but it's pure bad luck - hope to have gone away.
I've got a letter from the authorities a few months back that 2014 models (or some of them?) are affected with a factory recall, that would cure a known problem about ICE not starting (in some cars, under some conditions). I've got the info that sw update and/or spark plugs replacing were the things to be carried out.
Re on the battery, ~85% of charge is weird and looks rather unrelated to ICE start / no start, but more related to the battery condition. However your report of driving a range of ~35-40 kms in the city, looks utterly alright. While the factory detail is 52 km, taking some of the aging and real - winter - conditions into account; that is about the perfect figure. That being said, out of the city I even managed to do 60 km's of no ICE start at all.

Keep us posted if your car remains trouble free for the subsequent period. Cheers

No re-occurrence yet ..

Its summer here so 25-30 degree days. seems I can do about 45kms city driving on ev.

robdickinson said:
No re-occurrence yet ..

Its summer here so 25-30 degree days. seems I can do about 45kms city driving on ev.

45 kms is just about perfect in the city... i recall doing similar ranges in the summer, probably with some A/C usage.

Back